2006 f150 catalitic converter problems - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > Off Topic

Old 09-14-2011, 07:07 PM   #1
Grouper

Default 2006 f150 catalitic converter problems

anyone know sombody that deals with these problems. rattles like crazy in drive and stopped. in park it doesnt. I know some people cut them out? any suggestions on what to do and around how much$$$.
thanks,
Erik
FISHBOXFULL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2011, 08:10 PM   #2
Grouper

its not legal per epa ect. but if it has bolts infront of the cat and bolts behind you will unbolt the cat and ram a rod thru it and empty the comb within it out. and bolt it back in place, if it does not have bolts on both side and only one then you will need to cut the pipe and ream it out and weld or clamp the pipe back in place.
on my dakota it didnt have bolts at all and i cut it behind the cat and reamed it out real good then started the truck and ran it up and down my road a few times givein it hell to blow out the big chunks then got back under when it was cool and did a butt joint weld on the pipe and havent had the problem after.

or you can replace the cat which can run up to 3-400 and as little as 100

if you need a welder just let me know and you can use mine without a problem oh yea my method is free it wouldnt use a whole 1lb spool of wire and the power bill isnt going to shoot thru the roof either lol
mrwigglezdj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2011, 09:17 PM   #3
Blue Marlin

Look on top of it to see if it has a heat shield. I had a later model Chevy that was doing the same thing. The heat shield had come lose and was vibrating causing all the noise. Tack welded the corner back in place and problem fixed.

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G using Forum Runner
Murphy's Law is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2011, 09:19 PM   #4
Grouper

thanks for the info, I found them at advanced auto on line for 75 bucks and 20% off. I havent looked how its installed but Im just as well doing it the way you described.
I assume u punch it out and attach it back on the front side then drive around so it will blow it out the back? after reinstall the back of the converter?
Old 09-14-2011, 09:35 PM   #5
Mingo

I've hollowed one out before and it gave me more problems. It kept knocking out my O2 sensors after I hollowed it out. It was a long time ago so its harder for me to remember exactly but I remember someone saying that hollowing it out screwed up the back pressure that the vehicle was designed for. I think my computer was adjusting for the lack of back pressure which made the engine get the wrong amount of fuel. That caused black soot to start collecting in everywhere downstream of motor. That in turn kept ruining the o2 sensors. Everytime I would replace one it was covered in black soot. Then after a month or 2 I would have to replace it again.

Last edited by Bluesbreaker; 09-14-2011 at 09:38 PM.
Bluesbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2011, 10:21 PM   #6
Grouper

thanks blues , sounds like my luck that would happen- murphy i didnt think about the heat shield ill check that out, if not 65 bucks isnt going to kill me and it would keep all the sensors going right. Depending on if its bolted on the ends or welded, I might need some help with welding ( i dont have one and dont know how) so mrwigglez mabe we can work something out if you could give me a hand.
I would like to sell the truck since I have a work truck and probably havent been in the f150 more than 10 times in the last year. going back the right way would probably make more sense.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in