"DirectBuy" - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > Off Topic

Old 04-16-2009, 11:00 AM   #1
Blue Marlin

Default "DirectBuy"

Hello. I have an elderly friend that was asking me about the new DirectBuy that just opened up on Navy Blvd... I told him that he should go check them out, and that I knew nothing about them other than seeing there TV commercials........... Well he went down there, and was shown around. Was told that he could save about 50% on anything that he bought through them... So far so good. He liked what he saw... He then set up an appointment yesterday to take his wife with him (he could only bring her with him by appointment).... They looked over everything (was or is going to completely redo his kitchen cabinet's, ect) and all looked good, and the story I am getting this morning from his daughter is........ Some guy came in and was pressuring him to "join" there club at a cost of $5,000 and the offer was good for 24 hours ONLY.......... He left..... I'm not bashing this company, or expressing an opinion yet, just wanted to know if anybody on here had any dealings with them and what there experiences were....... Thanxxxxx in advance... T
Boatjob1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2009, 11:06 AM   #2
Sailfish

Default RE: "DirectBuy"

My aunt has it. Said its a rip off.

Also, the $5000 membership is standard. She paid that several years ago. If they are telling you that is a limited time offer, then that is just downright deceitful and dishonest. If I was building a high end house, I could see spending $5k to save $20k. The average person will not buy enough stuff there to get their $5k back from membership cost.
choppedliver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2009, 11:13 AM   #3
Blue Marlin

Thanks for the input so far..... I told this friend that ANYTIME somebody puts a deadline on something like this, Run, don't walk.......... I thought that this was WAY out of line also... Funny I hadn't heard a sales pitch like that in 30 years.. Maybe it's making a comeback......... Thanks again... T
Boatjob1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2009, 11:15 AM   #4
Praedator
Grand Slam

Everything I have ever read about on this company is not good. It's not as easy or as good a deal as they make it seem in the commercials.<H3 class=entry-header>With DirectBuy, it will cost you a lot to save</H3><DIV class=entry-content><DIV class=entry-body>

Your town or city might have been blanketed recently with newspaper ads and TV commercials for DirectBuy. The nationwide buying club, with headquarters in Merrillville, Indiana, promises members access to 700 brand-name manufacturers of home goods and the opportunity to buy merchandise with no ?hidden store markups and middlemen costs.? Ads invite you to an open house, where you?ll see ?confidential? wholesale prices. ?We can?t show you the brand names and we certainly can?t show you the prices,? read one ad. What it also doesn?t show you is DirectBuy?s steep membership cost.

The Real Deal
To evaluate the pitch, we went undercover at two DirectBuy franchises in New York. Both gave us the same hard sell and offers of up to 70 percent off retail prices if we were to join. Only after an hour and a half of sales pitches and video testimonials from members did we learn the membership fee: $4,900 to $4,990 (plus tax) for three years and then $190 a year for seven more. Financing is available at 17.75 percent.

After the fee disclosure, we discovered that we had to sign up on the spot or never come back. We couldn?t bring DirectBuy?s ?confidential? prices elsewhere to comparison shop, the representatives said, because this would likely anger retailers who might then retaliate against the manufacturers by refusing to sell their merchandise.

The fine print in the DirectBuy contract says you cannot return items, cancel orders, or terminate your membership. When we asked if, after plunking down $5,000, we could cancel and get a refund, a salesperson said, ?You?ll have to check state law.? A review of New York state law revealed that the three-day cooling-off period for canceling contracts wouldn?t apply in this case.

Tacked onto the cost of merchandise?which you select from catalogs since DirectBuy has limited showrooms?are a 6 percent handling fee, shipping fees, and tax. Goods are typically shipped only to your local center, so you might pay additional fees to actually get your new stuff home.

Just how good are the prices? We compared them against those of other retailers. Prices for electronics and appliances were often only slightly better than those at online retailers and in some instances higher. For example, a 46-inch JVC flat-screen TV selling for $2,586 on DirectBuy?s site cost $2,095 elsewhere. We did find deep discounts on flooring and high-end furniture. In fact, one member we interviewed estimated that she saved about $50,000 over several years on furniture and a kitchen remodel using DirectBuy. Yet the club did poorly on some basics. We found a Kohler bath faucet for $300 less on a kitchen-and-bath Web site.

Some DirectBuy members complained to us about poor customer service and long waits for merchandise. But since DirectBuy outlets are franchises, service varies by location. Most outlets have a good record with the Better Business Bureau, though some have a poor one or have been suspended from the BBB.

The Bottom Line
The lack of price transparency makes it hard to evaluate whether you?ll save by joining DirectBuy. But even if you were to save 25 percent on purchases after joining, you?d need to spend more than $20,000 just to recoup your membership fee. DirectBuy might save you money if you?re furnishing a house from scratch or doing a major renovation. But since you can?t shop around beforehand, you?ll be joining blind.?Chris Fichera</DIV></DIV>
Telum Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2009, 12:30 PM   #5
Blue Marlin

I did a lot of research on the company and decided not to use them.
Orion45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2009, 12:34 PM   #6
Sailfish

Yep, if you were buying $60,000 cabinets it would be worth it. Other than that, what a rip.
choppedliver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2009, 12:37 PM   #7
Sailfish

I am building a custom 3600 sf house right now with the home owner using direct buy... If everything is planned and you use the system right, it has worked out great. Example, I get a contractor rate for certain things like paint at sherwin williams and tile/flooring at dif places around town. My price was better than direct buys discount on paint at sherwin will so i purchased it. The tile was cheaper at direct buy, but after the $800 shipping and handling + $300 fee it was cheaper to just get it here. HOWEVER on the cabinets and vanities and lighting packages alone with direct buy saved over $40,000. top of the line Omega cabinets. I think if you know what you are doing, you know the business, you know what to look for adn when to spot a red flag and you have the time/energy to shop the stuff direct buy is great.
?MEGA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2009, 01:49 PM   #8
Cigar Minnow

Not bashing you Omega, but its company like these that hurt our local economy!! im still one who believes support your local tradesman and businesses!! Direct buy is notorious for throwing false retail prices out there!! im in retail and there is no way in hell you can sell stuff at these high retail prices direct buy advertises that other companys sell it for and what do you do when you have a problem who is going to warranty it or take care of it!! If you do your shopping, you will realizethat place is a total rip off. Im actually shocked as a local builder you would let a homeowner buy from that place!! By the way that is a very nice looking house you are building on lakeview!!
buully48 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2009, 02:16 PM   #9
Grouper

I agree to buy local, omega go to sherwin williams and ask someone at the counter to speak to Gus ( the outside sales rep) you will get a better discount by just asking because you are a contractor. I know, I worked there as a sales rep before layoffs last year. As for cabinets, you need to see Chuck at The Cabinet Barn @ 3800 W. fairfield Dr. He beats anybody in town including Home depot and Lowes and will do a grapic scale of your remodel if you sit with him!!!! He will do the install or just sell you cabinets for you to assemble and install. Great selection of cabinets and countertops, tile ect... And yes he is an individual company owner that lives here in Pensacola!!!!

Erik
FISHBOXFULL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2009, 02:17 PM   #10
Ruby Red Lip

I've got the wholesale hookup for cabinets and granite! Probably 50% off direct buy's prices. Installers are in Pensacola and come up to Atlanta to do work almost weekly. PM me if you need the info.
xrayfixer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in