Your go-to bottom fishing rod/reel setup? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > General Discussion

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By BirdNest
  • 1 Post By SHO-NUFF
  • 1 Post By SHO-NUFF

Old 06-26-2014, 12:34 AM   #1
Grouper

Default Your go-to bottom fishing rod/reel setup?

I'm looking for a fairly inexpensive dependable bottom fishing rod/reel combo. Would you go with a spinning or conventional setup? Really don't want to spend over $150 if at all possible. Also, what would you spool it with for fish in the grouper/snapper size class?

Last edited by wmflyfisher; 06-26-2014 at 01:03 AM.
wmflyfisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2014, 12:39 AM   #2
Trigger

Penn senator 4/0 on a 30-50lb rod spooled with 40lb suffix. Just so you know the big saltwater reels that resemble bait casters are called conventional reels
MrPhoShiz likes this.
BirdNest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2014, 12:44 AM   #3
Snapper

I use a 6/0 with 6' standup rod with 80 or 100# mono for snapper and AJ, 4/0 with 7' conventional rod and 65# braid for 2 hook rigs, 6/0 with 6' standup rod and 100 or 130# braid for grouper, daiwa bull with bent butt 80# rod (50# butt/80 # blank) and 100 or 130# braid for deep dropping.

If you are fishing public hard fished spots I would use a 30# conventional reel or 20# spinning reel with a looooonnnggg 20-30# fluoro leader to start. And go lighter if you are marking decent fish but aren't getting bites.
SnapperSlapper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2014, 01:03 AM   #4
Grouper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdNest View Post
Penn senator 4/0 on a 30-50lb rod spooled with 40lb suffix. Just so you know the big saltwater reels that resemble bait casters are called conventional reels
Thanks bird. Did not know that!
Old 06-26-2014, 02:43 AM   #5
Mingo

I prefer spinning over conventional. I can control the fish much easier. Let them run if needed or drop your palm on the spool to stop them. More importantly, many base our rig purchase on the fight and not the hookup. I think that's ass backward. The bite and engage must happen before you reel them in. More hookups, more opportunities. I tend to see a better ratio of 5:1 for quality fish with the guys using the Penn 6/0 and broomstick.

Like freshwater bass fishing, being able to feel every tap is more important for hookups. That's why I use lighter setups and have learned how to fight them with such rigs. Yes, I lose some, but for your average bottom fish (i.e. < 15lbs) a medium to heavy inshore rig will more than do the job. 30 to 40lb braid usually breaks in the low 50s. Most low dollar conventionals put out a third of that in drag. Though that is where you need to be, they are heavy and are cumbersome for a full day of fishing.Their line retrieve is tedious as well. Surprisingly, spinners tend to offer better drag strengths.

This past weekend I used my Daiwa Procyon 4000 ($60 to $70 on ebay)on a 7'6" Shimano Teremar med/heavy rod ($100) and out fished everyone on the boat. Not because I am better or lucky, but could rig lighter for pressured fish. Every hookup is a blast as well. Just an opinion. No, this is not the answer for large grouper or AJ's.
Scabs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2014, 02:55 AM   #6
Trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scabs View Post
I prefer spinning over conventional. I can control the fish much easier. Let them run if needed or drop your palm on the spool to stop them. More importantly, many base our rig purchase on the fight and not the hookup. I think that's ass backward. The bite and engage must happen before you reel them in. More hookups, more opportunities. I tend to see a better ratio of 5:1 for quality fish with the guys using the Penn 6/0 and broomstick.

Like freshwater bass fishing, being able to feel every tap is more important for hookups. That's why I use lighter setups and have learned how to fight them with such rigs. Yes, I lose some, but for your average bottom fish (i.e. < 15lbs) a medium to heavy inshore rig will more than do the job. 30 to 40lb braid usually breaks in the low 50s. Most low dollar conventionals put out a third of that in drag. Though that is where you need to be, they are heavy and are cumbersome for a full day of fishing.Their line retrieve is tedious as well. Surprisingly, spinners tend to offer better drag strengths.

This past weekend I used my Daiwa Procyon 4000 ($60 to $70 on ebay)on a 7'6" Shimano Teremar med/heavy rod ($100) and out fished everyone on the boat. Not because I am better or lucky, but could rig lighter for pressured fish. Every hookup is a blast as well. Just an opinion. No, this is not the answer for large grouper or AJ's.
i went out on a party boat using my Penn 950ssm with a Star boat rod had a few people look at me like I was a leper with that set up...I own many Penn Convention reels to me the spinner is the way to go I can get the fish to the surface alot faster with little or no fatigue.. i know sooner or later the right fish will come along and try to put a whoopin on my spinner...but until then lol

doggfish

your best friend you have never met
doggfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2014, 03:59 AM   #7
Sailfish

Shimano TLD 25 on a tuna stick. Spooled with 40lb Ande mono will stop about anything out there and its a super light combo. Beats an old heavy 6/0 Penn combo any day for comfort and hours of bottom fishing.
MoganMan likes this.
SHO-NUFF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2014, 09:59 AM   #8
Blue Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHO-NUFF View Post
Shimano TLD 25 on a tuna stick. Spooled with 40lb Ande mono will stop about anything out there and its a super light combo. Beats an old heavy 6/0 Penn combo any day for comfort and hours of bottom fishing.
I will agree and have that setup, but it would be spooled heavier and with braid.

It's a little over 1/3 the weight of a 6/0 Penn with rod.

This takes the fatigue out of it.
X-Shark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2014, 10:45 AM   #9
Grouper

Excuse my ignorance but what is a "tuna stick"? A brand or type if rod?
Old 06-29-2014, 06:18 PM   #10
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmflyfisher View Post
Excuse my ignorance but what is a "tuna stick"? A brand or type if rod?
Its a heavy action short boat rod.
Basically an expensive broom handle with eyes on it.

The rod alone would be out of the price range you are looking for. Look for used stuff. I don't remember buying very many rods/reels new, most are garage sale items for pennies on the dollar.
The TLD25 tuna stick combo was $80 bucks at a garage sale and in new condition. Some folks quit fishing and some have to get the latest and greatest each year. Good deals out there if you look.
saltwater redneck likes this.

Last edited by SHO-NUFF; 06-29-2014 at 06:22 PM. Reason: added
SHO-NUFF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in