Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

Yamaha or suzuki

3K views 39 replies 31 participants last post by  X-Shark 
#1 ·
Yamaha or suzuki? Which one would you get if the wife said this is it so get what you want, and what kind of boat? Possibly purchasing a new boat so if anyone is a boat dealer please contact me.

#5 ·
That's like saying if you sale vehicles contact me. What kind of boat are you wanting? What's your budget?

You can't go wrong with either motor. I have both and both are great. Suzuki has more low end torque and power and is quieter than the Yamaha, also quite a bit cheaper but I wouldn't hesitate to own either again.

#10 ·
As for the boat im still open, but i presently own a 21 cuddy with a single merc. 200. Thinking possibly 24 to 26 foot range with twins, and center console. I love the cape horn, and the Nautic star is nice. The one thing that i think im looking for is a livewell in the center, not in one corner, so everyone has to move when someone needs a bait. I only fish offshore so something capable of a rough day not if but when the weather turns bad!

#24 · (Edited)
Well, I have a 2006 115 Suzuki, purchased new, and for that reason, I'd get a Yahama (or a Mercury). Go to any store that sells marine stuff and try to find fuel lines w/primer bubble for a Suzuki. You'll see most all brands except Suzuki and at reasonable prices. Then go to a Suzuki dealership to purchase those parts and you'll be shocked at the price. And this is true for MOST parts. My fuel pump has been replaced twice - once while under warranty and the 2nd time was $500 out of my pocket. Now, I may have gotten it cheaper from a non-Suzuki dealership but I wanted to remain with Suzuki parts and Suzuki qualified mechs.

Boats - there are many GOOD ones. You must first determine what you want it for, e.g., inshore, off-shore, fresh/salt water, skinny water, lakes/ponds and then comes the size and then the hull material - fiberglass, aluminum, etc. Skiffs, V-hull, semi-V, catamaran are a few hull designs. Liner boats, IMO, are best since they're packed with floatsum and won't sink. Always check the number of stringers under the deck along with the stringer material - more is better. Beam width is critical for stability - again, IMO, the wider the better.

Lotsa stuff to consider. GOOD LUCK!!!

#29 ·
Ford or Chevy ? Same thing applies here . I have been in the " extended warranty " business for over 36 years dealing with cars and trucks , motorcycles, and boat dealers. The truth is -- they are all good and no matter who makes it -- some will always have problems. The repair records for all of the engine makers are about the same. The most important criteria should be the dealer who can give you the best service -- not necessarily the lowest price !

That being said the previous post about Suzuki being less expensive up front but more expensive on parts is correct ( and on purpose ). Nissan is famous in the auto business for the same marketing tactic !

#33 ·
Ford or Chevy ? Same thing applies here . I have been in the " extended warranty " business for over 36 years dealing with cars and trucks , motorcycles, and boat dealers. The truth is -- they are all good and no matter who makes it -- some will always have problems. The repair records for all of the engine makers are about the same. The most important criteria should be the dealer who can give you the best service -- not necessarily the lowest price !

That being said the previous post about Suzuki being less expensive up front but more expensive on parts is correct ( and on purpose ). Nissan is famous in the auto business for the same marketing tactic !
what he said: pick a rig that has a service department that you know to be dependable and has been around for a while. a lot of these new fly by night boat dealers popping up may be pushing some nice boats but have not established the service to back it up.

#30 ·
Go to any store that sells marine stuff and try to find fuel lines w/primer bubble for a Suzuki.
Most boats are set up incorrectly anyway with that.

The primer bulb belongs between the fuel tank and Racor filter and should be mounted close to a vertical position for best results.

The bulb works best at pushing fuel....Not sucking it.

Most boats and what you describe place the bulb between the Racor and the motor.

Change the Racor and see how many times you have to squeeze the ball to get the Racor primed......Your freaking hand will be falling off.

#31 ·
The people bashing the Nautic Star boat have probably never owned one.
I have one 10 years old with over 2000 trips and well over 20,000 hours in the water use, with zero electrical issues, or any boat issues, its not as fancy as some other brands, but it was 20,000 dollars cheaper than anything else !
Proof speaks for itself
I will buy another one
Also go Yamaha mine has 2500 hours and runs great

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.