Who's had skin cancer and what do you do now? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > General Discussion

Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By Jason
  • 2 Post By salty_dawg

Old 08-13-2015, 10:13 AM   #1
Mingo

Default Who's had skin cancer and what do you do now?

Today we have tons of options for skin protection while out on the water or the land. I love the new neck sleeves -- not sure what to call them. Those things are cool and they cover all the really common skin cancer sites -- neck, ears, and nose. I still wear a hat and sun glasses obviously. I usually wear short sleeve T and shorts and lather up in sunscreen for exposed areas, though I'm considering just going long sleeve long pants in the future.

I got hit with melanoma twice back when I was a teenager -- I started deckhanding offshore at the age of 12 and got way too much sun. Thankfully caught them both before they spread. But scared me so bad I didn't go fishing for a full decade afterward because I was so scared of the sun.
GrandIsle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2015, 10:24 AM   #2
White Marlin

I worked and played in the sun my whole life and had several removed, non melanoma type.

Now it's hats, T-shirts and a lot of 60 sunscreen.

RH
shootnstarz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2015, 10:24 AM   #3
*^* JaiBo *^*
Grand Slam

I wear shorts, sometimes long sleeve shirts but always a cowboy hat to protect my noggin!!! That's one benny from night fishing!!! Never had a moon burn!!!
GALSUN, Kim and ThaFish like this.

Philippians 1:21

21 For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain.

Jason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2015, 11:19 AM   #4
Blue Marlin

My skin, what's left of it, is the petri dish for skin cancer research, or so it seems sometimes. I've never had melanoma, but plenty of squamous and basal cell. Three of my friends have had melanoma, and all three have/had red or reddish hair. It killed one of them.

The key to avoiding problems is to start protecting your skin early in life, and the earlier, the better. And heed the words of my dermatologist: "Cover it up or I'll cut it off."

And like Jason mentioned - learn to be a night fisherman.
Old 08-13-2015, 03:00 PM   #5
White Marlin

What he said
I've had several squamous cells cut off. When the Dermatologist says CANCER. it scares the hell out of you.
Even if it's not deadly
Boardfeet is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2015, 03:32 PM   #6
Grouper

I've had basal removed topically and surgically. As for fishing I do the obvious, (sunscreen, hat and as much clothing as I can withstand). I did splurge for a Tilley hat a couple years ago but it has been worth the investment. I've also found a face mask made by Breathe Like a Fish (just google it). They make a nice mask and also some long sleeve shirts with mesh in the underarm. Have not purchased a shirt, but considering how well i like the mask, will probably spring for one soon. Considering the last MOHS surger I had was over $6K, fifty bucks for a shirt is pretty cheap.

I also enjoy night fishing and it's a no brainer to beat the heat right now.

Finally, if you go to the doc and he finds basal cell, ask if it can be treated with Zyclara. I went in for MOHS in Destin about 18 months ago and the surgeon asked me if I wanted to try to remove it topically first. Most docs would have just started cutting and taken the $4-6K for surgery. I was impressed this guy actually did the right thing. The medicine retails for ~$600 so ask the doc if they have a coupon. I only came out of pocket $25.
RMS and gulfbreezetom like this.
salty_dawg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2015, 05:24 PM   #7
Grand Slam

I've had probably 6 or 8 basil cells cut off, two by the MOHs method. Probably due to surfing, construction work and sailing when I was younger. And fishing of course. Sun screen wasn't as big a deal back then. In fact, it was almost non-existent.
I use more sun screen than I used to and wear either a Tilley or a Columbia booney hat when out in the sun. Still very rarely wear a long sleeve shirt but I've never had a place cut off my arms. Mostly my face, ears and neck.
welldoya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2015, 10:24 PM   #8
Grouper

yup, getting old, sun, you name it, its gonna happen sooner or later. Been there, done that. Couple thoughts, from someone that fights this all the time:

1. find you a good dermatologist, someone that you can actually get in to see and talk to. If you are over 50, schedule a FULL body exam every 6 months. Get a baseline done, and let them monitor you and how you age. Trust me on this, it can save your life, and also protect your family from losing you, or maybe worse, losing years of THEIR lives taking care of you

2. Sunscreen, cover, hats, all that are helpful - maybe essential - to try to control things as you age, but the bottom line is do SOMETHING. Very few people will do it all, and be consistent, but the key my doc told me is simply do something before you go out on the boat or to the beach. Figure out what you will actually use, spray vs lotion, whatever, but find something you can make a habit of and do it

3. last, but not least, is help others, especially your kids or friends kids or younger folks to develop the habits. I see people taking young babies out to the beach all the time, no protection per se, just hang out with the family. I have many friends that fight this, and some have not made it. Just try to help educate those that don't know what they don't know. you can't save them all, but if you can make a difference for a few, the Lord will bless you and help you in your fight too.

Just 2 cents worth on a Friday night
sel1005 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in