Who partially sank a regulator at flora Bama yacht club? - Page 2 - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > General Discussion

Like Tree19Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-18-2014, 05:42 PM   #11
Freshwater Flounder
White Marlin
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,840
Default

Is this why I've seen people backing their boats up to the beach at ft mcree?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
__________________
*



If you need music on the beach, you're missing the point.


*
AndyS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-18-2014, 08:40 PM   #12
Senior Member
White Marlin
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,841
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
Is this why I've seen people backing their boats up to the beach at ft mcree?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
Yes it is
cody&ryand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2014, 09:10 PM   #13
Senior Member
Trigger
 
Big Perm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 311
Default

Where are the pics? Those are worth a thousand words.
Big Perm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-18-2014, 09:41 PM   #14
Praedator
Grand Slam
 
Telum Pisces's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Out There
Posts: 9,821
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
Is this why I've seen people backing their boats up to the beach at ft mcree?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
Part of the reason. Another reason is to save your keel from getting worn. Another reason is that it's easier to get on and off most boats from the stern.

I never beached my boat. Two anchors and always backed in.
Big Red, cody&ryand and Navi-Gator like this.
Telum Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2014, 10:17 PM   #15
Senior Member
Blue Marlin
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Pensacola, Fl.
Posts: 5,602
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telum Pisces View Post
Part of the reason. Another reason is to save your keel from getting worn. Another reason is that it's easier to get on and off most boats from the stern.

I never beached my boat. Two anchors and always backed in.
X-2

Each grain of sand has 13 cutting edges on it...

It makes it easy to adjust for the tide with the remote control Windless.
X-Shark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2014, 12:55 AM   #16
Seafox 237 twin outboards
Blue Marlin
 
Chapman5011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: AlaFreak'nBama
Posts: 5,434
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbaxl View Post
Just wait for the opening of Federal Snapper week. It always amazes me when I pass the bridge rubble and all the Jon type boats out there with 25hp tiller motors. I just tell my boys they are experienced locals and surely know what they are doing. That is also why I will be out 25 miles and just make a day of it.
That's what I'm doing this coming weekend. Coming out of pensacola pass and going south. Trying to avoid the chaos . Will be a lot of boats out next weekend. Probably edge area. .. Try to find something fun
Chapman5011 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2014, 05:56 PM   #17
Junior Member
Cigar Minnow
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Spanish Fort, AL
Posts: 13
Default

[[email protected];2925770]I was gonna make a post about this job as a lesson learned, since you brought it up I will mention it here. This poor guy lost his boat just simply by making a minor mistake. He beached the boat just like everyone else at the Florabama Yachtclup yesterday, he pushed it up a little too far and when the tide came up, the stern could not rise with the tide. Water came in through the deck scuppers and ran straight into the bilge via a deck hatch in the stern. the bilge pump could not keep up and the boat went down. We do several of these kind of jobs every year. Make sure when you put your boat on the beach only put it far enough to keep it from swinging on the anchor. If you go too far the boat can't float with the tide.

Capt John Ward
Seatow Destin/Pensacola/Orange Beach


Capt, his bilge pump did not come on automatically. I know this because I was there on Sat. and when the announcement was made that a boat was sinking I walked down. People were standing all around I asked had anyone tried to turn his bilge pump on manually. I leaned over the gunwale, hit the switch and the pump came on though by then it was to late.
ford1320 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2014, 07:14 PM   #18
Praedator
Grand Slam
 
Telum Pisces's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Out There
Posts: 9,821
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Shark View Post
X-2

Each grain of sand has 13 cutting edges on it...

It makes it easy to adjust for the tide with the remote control Windless.
I always had a windlass too. It's called a wife!
Telum Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2014, 07:20 PM   #19
Praedator
Grand Slam
 
Telum Pisces's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Out There
Posts: 9,821
Default

[quote=ford1320;2932650]
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I was gonna make a post about this job as a lesson learned, since you brought it up I will mention it here. This poor guy lost his boat just simply by making a minor mistake. He beached the boat just like everyone else at the Florabama Yachtclup yesterday, he pushed it up a little too far and when the tide came up, the stern could not rise with the tide. Water came in through the deck scuppers and ran straight into the bilge via a deck hatch in the stern. the bilge pump could not keep up and the boat went down. We do several of these kind of jobs every year. Make sure when you put your boat on the beach only put it far enough to keep it from swinging on the anchor. If you go too far the boat can't float with the tide.

Capt John Ward
Seatow Destin/Pensacola/Orange Beach


Capt, his bilge pump did not come on automatically. I know this because I was there on Sat. and when the announcement was made that a boat was sinking I walked down. People were standing all around I asked had anyone tried to turn his bilge pump on manually. I leaned over the gunwale, hit the switch and the pump came on though by then it was to late.
Reason number 1001 why I had both an automatic bilge pump and one on a manual switch. I always reached my hand down and would trip the auto float switch before each trip to make sure it was working. Always checked the manual switch too. But this was I almost sunk my boat in Pensacola bay when my single 500 gph auto pump didn't come on when a pickup hose from the washdown pump came loose in the bilge area. I installed two 1500 gph pumps. One auto on a float switch and another manual switched one.

And again, I always checked them before every trip. People always look at me funny when I would go fishing with someone for the first time on their boat and ask them the last time they checked their bilge pumps for proper operation. On more than one occasion I found faulty/non working bilge pumps before we were fixing to go 30+ miles out.

Check those pumps people!!!!!!!
Big Red and WhackUmStackUm like this.
Telum Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2014, 07:48 PM   #20
Senior Member
Trigger
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 315
Default

A Regulator is of such a high caliber that it should not only have two automatic pumps in the rear, it should have a high water alarm as well. I assure you I would know the distinctive sound of my high water alarm from half a mile away.
gamefisherman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.