Whats your worst fish loss story? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > General Discussion

Old 05-14-2012, 11:31 PM   #1
Grouper

Default Whats your worst fish loss story?

This isn't the biggest fish I've lost but it would have been my personal best trout and it happened saturday so it's still fresh on my mind.I was out in Escambia bay last and just endured a massive rain storm,equipped with a water spout about 2 miles away from me ,which was fun to watch!Once the rain subsided I moved to spot that produces some BIG trout.Made a few casts with the trusty jerkshad and caught a few slot specks.I made a cast by a dock and wham drag started pullin.I thought for sure it was a decent red.The fish made a big head shake on the surface and when I saw it I know it was a slob of a trout.Got her next to the boat and reliezed I never got the net out. I thought no worries I can just pick her up by the belly.Bent down,grabbed it by its fat gut and lifted it out of the water.She made one last dance and slipped out of my hands.POP the line snapped as soon as she hit the water.It's a good thing there wasn't anybody on that dock because I was cussing like a sailor!It was every bit of 28'' probably weighing 8lbs definity would have been my best.I will always make sure my net is out from now on,if it had been out I would of had some pics to share.So whats your story?
fsu alex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2012, 11:42 PM   #2
Grouper

Me and my bro where fishing on our jon boat in the back if bayou chico when I got a big hit.I got the speckled trout to the aide of the boat when we realized we left the net.the line was really frayed so when my brother tried to grab the line it snapped.I would say it would of been around 27inches. Pretty similar story to yours.

Me and my brother where fishing the lights when my brother caught a speck.an 8 foot long alligator gar ate the speck and took off.we were out of gas and we only had the trolling motor so it pulled us way out.we trolling motored back to the park to see what the he'll was on the line and before we could take a picture it snapped off.we hit it the day before in the same spot and didn't know what it was so we nicknamed it the chiding monster.
chicon monster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2012, 11:43 PM   #3
Grouper

SMe and my bro where fishing on our jon boat in the back if bayou chico when I got a big hit.I got the speckled trout to the aide of the boat when we realized we left the net.the line was really frayed so when my brother tried to grab the line it snapped.I would say it would of been around 27inches. Pretty similar story to yours.

Me and my brother where fishing the lights when my brother caught a speck.an 8 foot long alligator gar ate the speck and took off.we were out of gas and we only had the trolling motor so it pulled us way out.we trolling motored back to the park to see what the he'll was on the line and before we could take a picture it snapped off.we hit it the day before in the same spot and didn't know what it was so we nicknamed it the chicon monster.
chicon monster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2012, 11:54 PM   #4
Ruby Red Lip

I was bass fishing off a dock on a lake a couple years back and I was using a cheap mitchell combo and hooked up on a hunker of a largemouth and got it close to the dock and it broke my pole I countinued trying to bring it in with my half pole and it wrapped around the dock and broke off finally. :/
Glockfan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2012, 11:59 PM   #5
Blue Marlin

Send a message via AIM to fisheye48

Lost a 6+ lb trout in the outcast tourney just past net range. Spit the croaker up because when he ate it the hook turned and stuck in the croaker
fisheye48 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2012, 01:12 AM   #6
stonecoldshooter
Sailfish

We were in the tower ALL day. Saw nothing. About an hour after we turned around, the girl I was dating at the time says "what is that?" The water was dark, so spotting anything was a chore. I look to where she is pointing, and all I can see are the spines on an over 60# cobia's back. We line up for a shot. Two tugs on a jig and BAM! When we get it close to the boat, I passed the rod down so I could get out of the tower. In this process my buddy asks if I want to gaff the fish. In hind sight, I shoulda realized what he was telling me. It would have been my biggest cobe, so I wanted to hold the rod. After about 20 minutes we get the fish boat side. My buddy sees that the fish is foul hooked outside the jaw (and despite the 20 minute solid fight) he panics and proceeds to "chase" the fish with the gaff. Well eventually the fish breaks off and swims away. I have never wanted to throw a rod so bad. I sat on the front cooler of my own boat and wouldn't talk to anyone the whole ride home. He's still my buddy and it was just a fish. But damn did it suck that day!
Old 05-15-2012, 08:44 AM   #7
White Marlin

Back in the early 90's I was running the deck on a private boat,we were fishing the MBGFC Memorial Day tourney out of OB. We had been circling the drill ship Discovery when BAM My left short flat rubberband pops and the penn 80 wide starts SCREAMING. Everyone on the boat starts yelling........BLUE MARLIN.....BLIE MARLIN!! 20 mins into the fight she sounds and the tug-o-war was on and she was winning. This lasted just a couple of mins and we started getting slack in the line. I'm yelling CRANK CRANK CRANK to the angler and GO GO GO to the capt. We thought we we lucky when the line came tight and we were still hooked up. She decided that she was ready to make a jump and when she did it was like everything went into slow motion.......HEAD SHAKE LEFT......and we all sat in disbelief not only at the size of this beast but also that we watched her sling the pink and white softhead out and she was gone. Obviously we can't say for sure but it was guessed that she went well over #800 and that was being conservative!! CRUSHED!!
marmidor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2012, 10:39 AM   #8
Grand Slam

In June 1973 we had just moved to Panama City from Turkey. Dad was in the Air Force. I was 18 but had no car or driver's license because you had to be 19 to drive in Turkey.
We bought a house in St. Andrew's and I was bored stiff so I would walk down to the St.Andrew's Marina and fish almost every day. I had a Mitchell 302 on an 8' rod.
I took some bacon and caught pinfish for bait.
For those of you who know the area, I was at the rail between the Harbor House and the old fish market at the corner of the marina.
I was standing there talking to some tourists when my rod started jumping. I reared back on it and it doubled. It almost spooled me but I started getting line back. It would run and I would reel it back in.
This went on for over an hour.
People were stopping and just leaving their cars in the road. Deck hands were running over from the charter boats with gaffs. Even cops were stopping. The rail was solid people for 100 yards.
I finally got the fish where he was straight down. Started pulling him up .......and the line broke. There was a huge groan from the crowd. Never did see what it was.
When I was walking home, I had two cars stop and tell me how they enjoyed watching the fight.
welldoya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2012, 11:03 AM   #9
WW2
Sailfish

Fishing with JimT. We hooked what we think was a pretty large Mako. It jumped once but it was pretty far out to identify the shark, it was bluish so we are pretty sure it was a mako. Another guy on the boat had gone below to get a sandwich when his line went crazy, I grabbed the rod and fought that fish for about 30 minutes before feeling bad that I was fighting a fish on someone elses gear while they watched. So, I handed him the rod. Some time after that it popped us off. Would have been the second awesome fish that day.
WW2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2012, 11:57 AM   #10
Snapper

Grouper fishing in about 350+ last November. Cant beat the AJ's off to get to the bottom. When we do make it the Grouper and scamp bite is fantastic. After a few shots finally make it to the bottom. At this point I am worn out, then huge bite. Crank crank crank, then slack. Here we go reeling 16oz of lead 300+ feet. Taking my time, with about half of my top shot on the reel and a freight train to the bottom. Finally got it stopped and the fight was on. After about 45 minutes of back and fourth the line started circling. Great a huge shark I thought and started horsing it. Tigtened the drag and really started cranking. 20 minutes later I see the biggest AJ I have ever seen. 100+ easy. About that time he saw the boat and went for the bottom again. Pulled the circle hook right out of the side of his mouth. Just crushed and even more exhausted.
kandv2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in