What are these boats/platforms doing in Pensacola Bay? pics included - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > General Discussion
Register Fishing Photos FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Advertise

Old 05-31-2010, 08:03 PM   #1
Snapper

Default What are these boats/platforms doing in Pensacola Bay? pics included

<span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-size: 12px;">What are these boats/platforms doing in Pensacola Bay? Curiosity has got the best of me. I was wondering if this has anything to do with the oil spill or what.<span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-size: 12px;">Heres the Pics:<span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-size: 12px;">
<span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-size: 12px;">
Gone Fishin' Too is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2010, 08:33 PM   #2
Snapper

Default RE: What are these boats/platforms doing in Pensacola Bay? pics included

I have been wondering the same thing. They have been moored up at night at NAS with the Coast Guard Cutters. With that being said it makes me believe they have something to do with the oil clean up...I just don't know what.
SHatten is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2010, 09:14 PM   #3
Sailfish

Default RE: What are these boats/platforms doing in Pensacola Bay? pics included

the jack-up rig will be used as a on- site platform for the oil spill if needed. Food, water berthing, crane etc.
The dredge barge as far as I know is not part of the spill unless it showed up this weekend.

Rock on

BillD
dockmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2010, 10:49 PM   #4
Sailfish

We watched the dredge barge this past Saturday run down the beach about mile off heading east to west. I think it's a new arrival to our area.
FLbeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2010, 05:31 AM   #5
Sailfish

Those lift boats are like miniature rigs. Not sure what they would do to help the spill. You can house a crew on them, feed your people, work off them etc. I have used them in Mobile Bay to work on natural gas wells. Not sure what they would do here in Pensacola. Good question.
mdrobe2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2010, 08:53 PM   #6
Grouper

The OLE Jack Up Boat.

Hey, I used to work on one of those Jack up boats out of Venice. I worked in East Bay off Venice. It looks like an EBI boat, thats the same company I worked for. The Jack up boats are awesome. One day we jacked the whole boat about 50ft. off the water so the boat could get at the same height as the Rig. We did a heavy lift one day, the large crane would not pick up the item, limit switch was at capacity with the item. We lacked about 1ft. from having the item high enough for the place for it to go. With the crane unable to make the final 1ft. lift, the captain went it the wheel house and Jacked the boat up the addtional foot or so we needed to finish the lift. These boats are AWESOME with the cabilities of lifting items. The boat I was on was the Mike Martin. The boat had 125ft. legs on it. There were many times that we would be Jacked up the limit of the legs. The legs would sink in the mud in East Bay along way before hitting solid ground. The legs have big Pads on the bottom of them. The Mike Martin had 2 generators on it. we would swap generators everyday. Gen. 1 would run one day while Gen. 2 would get a break, and Vice versus. One day we put a large truck on the deck of the boat. Man those were the days. These boats are floating work barges. Fuel, fresh water, beds, galley, bathrooms and showers. The boats still amaze me today!!!!!!!
Sea Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in