Weight of Aluminum Boat - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > General Discussion

Old 05-02-2015, 05:38 PM   #1
Trigger

Default Weight of Aluminum Boat

Been considering selling my 17' flats boat and getting a 15' or 16' welded hull aluminum stick steer boat. Probably end up with 40 or 50 hp outboard rigged with bow mount electric motor, etc.
Anybody have a similar type of boat who has weighted their rig and has a gross weight on such a package.... either with or without trailer.
Just one of the factors I am considering as I think this over.
Thanks,
Capt Joe
Capt Joe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2015, 06:53 PM   #2
White Marlin

Can't help on weight. Only input I can give is (having had an 18'er) is even with a ripple, they tend to be pretty noisy. If your type fishing needs stealth, you may want to reconsider. If not, a good one is a low maintenance, rugged boat ( mine was a LakeSport). The ride in a bay chop was not "pleasing" either.
Flounderpounder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2015, 11:31 PM   #3
Trigger

got a friend with a 17 ft / 70 horse
said it only weighs about 800 lbs I got a 89 harley weighs about 850lbs
randynation is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2015, 11:46 PM   #4
Sailfish

Just go to some.of the manufacturers web site most have the weights listed
Old 05-03-2015, 04:42 PM   #5
Trigger

Thanks for the replies so far. I'm still looking for some actual real world weights for this type of boat.

After quite a few years of running RV's and many years of boating (including several years as a boat dealer), I have learned to be quite un-trusting of manufactures weight numbers. They don't seem to publish weight numbers with any type of conformity. For example, one manufacturer may weigh their hull or motorhome/travel trailer, etc as a bare unit without any optional equipment at all.... including things such as heavier gauge plate for hull bottom, no decks, etc which can add up to a considerable difference from the one you may see sitting on a trailer fully rigged. That can certainly make a difference in boat handling, ride, safe passenger capacity, draft, towing weight, stability, etc, etc.

RV's are even worse as some publish weights without any options at all such as awnings, higher quality options for furniture, etc, larger a/c, smaller tires and wheels, without any fluids such as fuel, water, lp, etc... and that can lead to a multitude of problems such as handling, fuel consumption, tire life and safety, towing capacity, cargo carrying capacity, etc.

Just about every boat or RV I have had has been weighed on a scale... including with RV's weights on each axle, side to side weights, etc. to determine things such as correct tire pressures needed for that load for both safety, tire life, better ride, maintaining lower tire temps, etc. While this is absolutely true for a RV, it also holds true for boats but maybe in a more limited way. Example would be if you just simply pump a trailer tire to the pressure on the sidewall of the tire and not to a correct pressure to carry the load safely, you will probably have the tire over inflated and beat the crap out of your boat, trailer and all the equipment.

So.... anybody out there who has a good accurate weight on a 15' or 16' welded hull, stick steer aluminum boat with a 40 or 50 hp engine pretty well rigged out (trolling motor, batteries, etc). I will really appreciate any and all replies.

Thanks,
Capt Joe
Capt Joe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2015, 07:26 PM   #6
Ruby Red Lip

Capt Joe,

I am looking to buy a 16-17ft aswell for the sole reason of having an option (other than my bass boat) to pull to Pensacola with me.

I am looking at the ones at Backwoods landing in north alabama. I am not affiliated so do not think I am pushing them, they just have good, cheap options (it seems) they have been very helpful with my questions if you want to give them a call and ask or look them up on facebook.

I have a 1542 alumacraft with a 25hp yamaha. Wish I could tell you the weight, all i know is that it is light enough two men can lift the back and someone can drive the trailer out from under it in a field to work on trailer.
Gstring706 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in