We need to know two things...... - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > General Discussion

Old 06-09-2010, 03:02 PM   #1
Grouper

Send a message via MSN to bmoore
Default We need to know two things......

1. What is the freaking status of the relief well? According to the BP site they have drilled down to 12090 feet out of 18000..but it was last updated May 30th. Have they not gotten any further?????

2. I dont care how many barrels of oil they are collecting with the latest containment system. What is the percentage being caught out of the total leaking? The total amount leaking would not be difficult to figure out now that they cut off the riser. If you know the diameter of the pipe..which they do and the pressure oil is coming out..which they do..can't you figure out the flow rate? Then you can take the amount being caught and compare it to what would be gushing out if the containment device was not there.

I don't like bad news..heck I balance my checkbook daily, and check my credit card balances..but with knowledge you can make proper plans and take action accordingly.
bmoore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2010, 07:08 PM   #2
Ruby Red Lip

Default RE: We need to know two things......

1. The relief well will not be finished till sometime in August...... <span style="font-weight: bold; font-style: italic; text-decoration: underline;">at the earliest.
And that is IF, all goes well.
That is what they have been reporting all along.

2. At this point it is capturing a "portion" of what is being leaked..... most likely <span style="font-style: italic; text-decoration: underline; font-weight: bold;">far less than half.
There are a bunch of articles that address this. Here is a link to one of those.

http://www.time.com/time/health/arti...inline-sidebar
Old 06-09-2010, 08:12 PM   #3
Grand Slam

I'm pretty sure you'll never know how much oil is leaking, BP's fine is dependent on that, so I'm sure they're never going to tell the truth.

Skip
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2010, 08:53 PM   #4
Ruby Red Lip

Quote:
lastcast (09/06/2010)I'm pretty sure you'll never know how much oil is leaking, BP's fine is dependent on that, so I'm sure they're never going to tell the truth.

Skip
+1
Old 06-09-2010, 09:04 PM   #5
Grouper

That's my point. We can't see the forrest for the trees.

1. So the earliest is August. Its mid June now. What is the status?

All I can find is data that is from 5/30.

They spudded the thing on 5/2 and on 5/30 are at 12090 out of 18000 some odd feet. 431 feet a day give or take.

Where are you right now? 6000 feet away? If you are drilling 431 feet a day are you 14 days from intersection?

This is the best bet on stopping this thing. Might be nice to keep tabs on it....

2. And point number two. So we have no way of knowing what the leakage rate is. So the containment system they have in place and are claimning to catch is totally irrelevant. "We are catching 15000 barrels a day." Sounds impressive but what does that mean exactly. If you are leaking 30000 your catching 1/2. Not bad. But if you are leaking 10 X that it sucks. Now..I dont believe for one minute they don't know. When they cut off the riser they knew exactly. The bent riser was thier only excuse for not knowing! And after the riser was cut it started gushing from 5%-20% more! Big difference there.

BP saying that they have upped the containment rate to 15000 barrels a day is meaningless. With one exception..anything caught is not leaking into the Gulf.

Watch em when point #2 is fired at them..the get all wishy washy and dodge the question.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:11 PM   #6
Grand Slam

Quote:
bmoore (09/06/2010)1. What is the freaking status of the relief well? According to the BP site they have drilled down to 12090 feet out of 18000..but it was last updated May 30th. Have they not gotten any further?????

2. I dont care how many barrels of oil they are collecting with the latest containment system. What is the percentage being caught out of the total leaking? The total amount leaking would not be difficult to figure out now that they cut off the riser. If you know the diameter of the pipe..which they do and the pressure oil is coming out..which they do..can't you figure out the flow rate? Then you can take the amount being caught and compare it to what would be gushing out if the containment device was not there.

There is not an easy way to figure the total amount of leakage It's all guessing for one or two reasons. Number one they can't figure the discharge pressure until they cut off the flow completely and take a reading... The casing is damage from when the drilling rig sank and bent the riser to hell. If they stopped the leak completely by lets say removing the bolts holding the riser on top of the BOP and placing a flanged open valve onto the flange, Bolting the new flange down and then just close the valve. sounds simple and it is to do. The problem is if the casing fails from the added pressure underground and the BOP comes off the casing we then have a 30 some inch wide open hole to contend with of leaking oil with no way to stop it other than a relief well. Plus the drill pipe is still in the hole. They are doing the best they can...
Old 06-09-2010, 09:18 PM   #7
Grouper

When they cut off the riser they had an opening that could be measured correct? I believe it was 21 inches.

What is the pressure coming out of the opening? They took pressure readings in the bop before the top kill right? I thought alot of the delay on that was due to replacing a "pod" and obtaining the correct pressure readings.

I would think with those two pieces of information you can come damn close to gettinga flow rate.

Am I wrong?
Old 06-09-2010, 09:41 PM   #8
Grand Slam

Quote:
bmoore (09/06/2010)When they cut off the riser they had an opening that could be measured correct? I believe it was 21 inches.

What is the pressure coming out of the opening? They took pressure readings in the bop before the top kill right? I thought alot of the delay on that was due to replacing a "pod" and obtaining the correct pressure readings.

I would think with those two pieces of information you can come damn close to gettinga flow rate.

Am I wrong?
On the news when the interviewed the computer guy that was in charge of one of the evolutions said, Before the rig blew a worker had spun the drill pipe while the seals were in place to take a pressure reading. By doing that the seals were destroyed that encircle the drill pipe. If those seals weren't destroyed when the well blew all they had to do was energize those seals and the runaway well would be sealed. In answer to your question from what I have gathered is there has been no way to tell the pressure of the well since the blowout because of those destroyed seals. The faulty seals were not corrected and as a result we have the runaway well..
Old 06-09-2010, 10:04 PM   #9
Grouper

Ok we have no way of knowing how much is leaking out. Only what is being caught. Fine. Anything caught is not leaking into the Gulf. Good Job BP!

Lets get a update on the relief well then. "Some time in August" doesn't cut it with me now.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:49 PM   #10
Ruby Red Lip

Last relief well completion estimate <span style="font-weight: bold;">"I" could find. It is from 30 May.........

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100530/...lkAwRsA1dTMQ--

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in