want to repower.... need opinions - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > General Discussion

Old 05-25-2010, 05:50 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default want to repower.... need opinions

Looking to repower by Boston Whaler 260 Conquest. Have twin 200 Optimax's with about 350 hours each. They are 2001 models..

Would like to explore repowering over the winter months this year and wanted opinions on motors. 2 stroke vs 4 stroke. Yamaha vs Merc . The boat is a 2001 model.

I have heard some negative comments about the optimax motors and just had to put it in the shop for what i hope to be a minor repair. Figured I ought to go ahead and do some research on repowering just in case....

Any thoughts, comments, appreciated.

Brad
Landlubber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2010, 07:08 PM   #2
Sailfish

Default RE: want to repower.... need opinions

I am a BIG fan of Yamaha. Don't know enoudh to make suggestion about power for you but I believe it's the best motor for the money. I would go 4 stroke in a heart beat. A lot more money but much more fuel efficient. Emerald Coast has a great reputation and many friends like Posner's in Pensacola. Good luck.
pcola4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2010, 07:34 PM   #3
Snapper

We replaced our 225 EFI's with Yamaha 250 4 strokes. Best thing we have done in a long time. If you can afford it, do it.
Instant Karma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2010, 07:58 PM   #4
Blue Marlin

Mercury's 4 stroke is a yamaha f225 motor i think.
Pinksnappertrapper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2010, 08:15 PM   #5
Sailfish

I believe yammmy just came out with some 4 strokes that shed a huge amount of weight... but think it was just the 300's... Kenny Mann was telling me about it. I hear this conversation come alot, and its always :

"2 strokes are noiser, dirtier, use expensive oil, but are lighter, more torque, and less maintenance."

and then

"4 strokes are are quiet, heavy, more parts, more maintenance, less torque, no expensive oil mixing"

The new yammys seem to cut the weight down, but like I said, not sure about the 200 - 250 range. Think its the big 300's

I know if I were buying today, I would love to have a 4 stroke.
choppedliver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2010, 11:12 PM   #6
ROLL TIDE ROLL
Grand Slam

Quote:
choppedliver (25/05/2010)I believe yammmy just came out with some 4 strokes that shed a huge amount of weight... but think it was just the 300's... Kenny Mann was telling me about it. I hear this conversation come alot, and its always :

"2 strokes are noiser, dirtier, use expensive oil, but are lighter, more torque, and less maintenance."

and then

"4 strokes are are quiet, heavy, more parts, more maintenance, less torque, no expensive oil mixing"

The new yammys seem to cut the weight down, but like I said, not sure about the 200 - 250 range. Think its the big 300's

I know if I were buying today, I would love to have a 4 stroke.
Yamaha VMax SHO 4Stroke 200, 225 and 250 Weights less than 2 strokes and get better fuel economy. These are bad jokers. But think they are only short shaft. 20" I believe
Splittine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2010, 02:24 AM   #7
Blue Marlin

Way to much information to post, if you call me I would be glad to talk to you about what is available and the pros and cons of each. as much time as you need to make a decision, also I dont think anyone local can beat my prices on engines..

weather you buy and engine from me or not,, i am applying for the job as your Authorized Yamaha service center. Please give me the opportunity to earn your business.
Sequoiha is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2010, 02:59 AM   #8
Cigar Minnow

I'm just curious as to why the refreshing of motors. I saw 350 hours and surely that can't be the reason. Is it a reliability issue?
shipsmate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2010, 12:50 PM   #9
Blue Marlin

Quote:
shipsmate (26/05/2010)I'm just curious as to why the refreshing of motors. I saw 350 hours and surely that can't be the reason. Is it a reliability issue?
My guess would be that they are 10 years old. or maybe just wants to get out of the merc....
Sequoiha is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2010, 03:11 PM   #10
Ruby Red Lip

Well,

I don't know too much, but this is what I do know for sure. If you are going to repower, go with a yamaha,I have one that is a 1992 2 stroke, and it runs strong, never had a new powerhead, and it is in Kenny's shop right now with what I hope to be is minor repairs. It has never been run in freshwater, only a salty, and probably has around 1500 hours or more. If I were to repower, I would go for the yamaha 4 stroke, a bit bigger than what I got now to make up the what I tell my wife for an excuse to go bigger "power differential". Kenny is a great man to deal with in this area, and he will fix you up proper.!!!
TCGrimsley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in