USS Massachusetts - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > General Discussion
Register Fishing Photos FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Advertise

Old 03-10-2010, 09:27 PM   #1
White Marlin

Default USS Massachusetts

Ok everyone, I boat out of Destin Pass so I don't for the most part have to worry about the USS Massachusetts (Mass) but I've read enough on this forum to wonder why doesn't anyone do something about it?

What I mean is would it be that hard to mark it better than it already is? I've been in a lot of places where PVC Pipe marked underwater dangers placed by your average boater so with all the skilled people that are members of this forum why hasn't anyone devised a plan to mark thedangerous parts of the Mass better with something cheap like PVC? This forum has divers and skilled craftmen as members so why couldn't the forum devise a plan to solve the problem without it costing much at all other than time and effort? I mean PVC scrap can be found all over the place and it's cheap to buy if it came to that.

Sorry I don't want to offend anyone, just thought I'd throw it out there. I'm not familiar with the situation other than what I have read on this forum so maybe it'sa harder task than I envision and if it is I'm suremore than one of you willenlighten me! Hey, maybe we could make it the first official raising of the PFF Flag! Yes I'd be willing to help if others decided to take on this challenge! :letsdrink
69Viking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2010, 10:57 PM   #2
White Marlin

Default RE: USS Massachusetts

maybe a bouy:bowdown
Hydro Therapy 2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2010, 11:03 PM   #3
White Marlin

Quote:
Hydro Therapy 2 (3/10/2010)maybe a bouy:bowdown
My suggestion for the PVC pipe is because I imagine that there is more than just one part of it that needs to be marked. Somebody new to the area going for their first drive in the gulf on calm summer day may not have a clue that it's there and would just drive to the left or right of a buoy and still hit part of it. White PVC seems to be the universal boating sign that there is something dangerous near the surface of the water so stay far away from it IMO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2010, 11:17 PM   #4
Snapper

The problems BEGIN with the fact that it's part of Gulf Islands National Seashore and is designated an undersea sanctuary. They aren't going to let anyone strap or bolt anything on the wreck...
FishinFreak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2010, 11:42 PM   #5
White Marlin

Quote:
FishinFreak (3/10/2010)The problems BEGIN with the fact that it's part of Gulf Islands National Seashore and is designated an undersea sanctuary. They aren't going to let anyone strap or bolt anything on the wreck...
Then THEY should mark it better or get a good warning about the lawsuit they'll face when someone hits it in a small boat and gets killed. Are THEY going to run out and stop someone from trying to mark it better because their dumb :moon won't!? I guess now I see why it hasn't been marked better and I guess I've been wasting my time trying to encourage asolution:banghead I mean really, what crime are you going to be charged with if you try and mark it better? Seemseveryone wants to come up with excuses why it can't bedone and are scared to do anything that might increase safety and possibly save a life someday, sadsituation:doh
Old 03-11-2010, 12:00 AM   #6
Trigger

It is better to ask forgiveness than permission. plus isn't there something in maritime law that would allow you to mark a wreck... idk just wondering.
AaronBarnes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2010, 01:07 AM   #7
Grouper

And then somebody will try to tie off to the PVC pipe, pull it out of the bottom, run into another boat because the PVC pipe didn't hold and then who are they gonna sue??

If you are good enough to go out, be good enough to make the trip and come home safe. Quit relying on somebody else to make sure you come home safe.

:usaflag:usaflag:usaflag
flappininthebreeze is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2010, 02:14 AM   #8
Trigger

just leave it alone,its amazing the people that want less goverment want them to keep the stupid people safe,the damn thing is on every chart,just dont be stupid and you will be fine.
flats stalker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2010, 07:43 AM   #9
Sailfish

I doubt PVC polls would hold up in the gulf like they do in the bay. They would probably get washed out after the first storm, but marking it better is a good idea.

I honestly never go on west side of the sea buoy line. If I'm heading west I make sure I go all the way to thefairwell buoy before turing and when I'm running back from the west I make sure I swing way out to the south and then run further east before cutting back into the pass.
P-cola_Native is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2010, 09:02 AM   #10
Snapper

Quote:
flats stalker (3/11/2010)just leave it alone,its amazing the people that want less goverment want them to keep the stupid people safe,the damn thing is on every chart,just dont be stupid and you will be fine.

That is Right-on It could be Fenced in, With enough Lights to light two football fields Someone more than one would still find it the hard way.

Learn how to read the Charts!!! This is the best defense.
Capt.Eugene is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in