Thoughts on Inexpensive Jigging/Bottom Fishing Setup - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > General Discussion

Old 07-01-2013, 10:41 PM   #1
Gio
Surf Fisher
Trigger

Default Thoughts on Inexpensive Jigging/Bottom Fishing Setup

I have recently gone to an Atlas Kona 400 and Trevala as my rod for jigging and bottom fishing, and love the size and weight.
I was thinking of setting up another similar rig, for my wife, but less expensive. I have a Penn 112H, and was thinking about putting it on an Ugly Stick Tiger Lite Jigging rod (Half Hitch has them on sale).
She will primarily use it for bottom fishing, and I think the lightness will help.
Any thoughts on this idea?
Gio
Gio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2013, 09:15 AM   #2
Team Jack 'Em Up
Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gio View Post
I have recently gone to an Atlas Kona 400 and Trevala as my rod for jigging and bottom fishing, and love the size and weight.
I was thinking of setting up another similar rig, for my wife, but less expensive. I have a Penn 112H, and was thinking about putting it on an Ugly Stick Tiger Lite Jigging rod (Half Hitch has them on sale).
She will primarily use it for bottom fishing, and I think the lightness will help.
Gio
Hey Gio, good morning. I think you are on track for a great setup going with the 112H and the Ugly Stik Tiger Lite Jigging rod that will make a good "bulletproof" rig for the wife. Personally my two "go-to" jigging/bottom fishing setups are a Shimano Saragosa 10k on an Ugly Stik Tiger Lite Jigging 6' XH 6-10 oz 80-130lb rod, and a Shimano Tyrnos 12 w/Carbontex drag upgrade on an Ugly Stik Tiger Lite Jigging 5'8" XH 8-14 oz 100-200lb rod. Both of these setups work great and that Tyrnos 12 with the drag upgrade really slows down the reef donkeys. Best of all - I got the Tyrnos 12 new on eBay for $160 and the rod at the Outcast spring sale for $20.

Sure others will say there are better rods or reels out there, but for the money I paid on these two setups they are well worth it. I say tear down the 112H, re-lube it and throw in a Carbontex drag. I think you and your wife will enjoy that setup.

Also (if you don't mind) PM me the details on how much Half Hitch is selling them for. i'm heading down this evening for the 4th and might pick up another one.

Last edited by Mike W; 07-02-2013 at 09:19 AM.
Mike W is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2013, 10:11 AM   #3
Grouper

Ive got a couple Tiger Lite Jigging rods that Ive put in work with. I think your choice in reel is a little lacking for jigging but should do fine bottom fishing. The reel should have a higher retrieve rate for jigging. I personally use a Black/Gold Diawa Saltist 35H.
The Pitt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2013, 10:34 AM   #4
Grouper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gio View Post
Gio
If she can handle more than 10lb's of drag then I'd consider something else than the 112. The 112 is a bit slow too. It's a great light bottom reel so id hang on to it for lighter stuff. Without replacing the brass gear sleeve and greasing the drag washers you wont get much more than 10lb's of reliable drag from the 112. Just my 2 cents, I'd look for something with at least 15-20lb's of reliable drag. The tiger lites are awesome!

Maybe consider a spinning rig for her jigging combo. Tiger lite with a Penn battle 7000 is light, strong and cheap. The shimano spheros 10000's are nice too. That's what my girlfriend uses and she loves it.

Last edited by Xpac; 07-02-2013 at 10:37 AM.
Xpac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2013, 11:06 AM   #5
Gio
Surf Fisher
Trigger

Thanks Guys,
The reason I was going with the 112H is because I already have it, and it is a very nice one rebuilt by Pompano Joe. It has the T-bar jigging handle and upgraded internals. My wife only goes with me a couple of times a year, and she will mainly bottom fish, so I really don't want to buy another reel. I have it on a heavy bottom fishing rod now, and was hoping yo put it on something lighter (in weight), which will handle the reef fish.
I appreciate the advice.
Gio
Gio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2013, 02:01 PM   #6
Mingo

Take a look at the Shimano TLD Star 15/30. That will make a durable, inexpensive and very light weight bottom outfit on a tiger light jigging rod that can put out 15-20 lbs. of drag.

BTW, I believe the 112H has a 4.1 ratio so you can jig with it but the bridge sleeve will round off at the handle if you put too much drag on it. That said, I have caught plenty of grouper and some AJs on one.

Last edited by Smitty81; 07-02-2013 at 02:11 PM.
Smitty81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2013, 02:14 PM   #7
Grouper

Default Rod and reel

All things considered the outfit you a fishing with would be ideal for the other half as well and would make a great back up outfit for you as well I would recommend buying another and selling the older reel Money is a issue for everyone these days me included but you only get to fish so many days a years so purchase gear that makes it as enjoyable as possible nothing sucks worse than finally getting the weather right in season with a boat full of folks chipping in on gas etc. only to find yourself with broken equipment or equipment that works you harder than it does the fish
billin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in