Register Fishing Photos FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Advertise

Like Tree7Likes
  • 5 Post By Hangover
  • 2 Post By welldoya

Old 12-06-2019, 11:53 AM   #1
TJ McBoatFace
Trigger

Default Thievery and a happy ending

About a year ago I purchased a Garmin 7612xsv from a guy selling them on TheHullTruth.com. Price was right, unit was in good shape, transaction went without flaw. Everybody happy.

Fast forward a few months later, I couldn't get Active Captain working so I tried Garmin help desk. They took an unusually long time to respond, even for them and instead of a resolution from Garmin I got an email from a Detective in a South Florida Property Crimes division wanting a call back.

As it turns out, the unit was stolen in a rash of electronics thefts in South Florida shortly before I bought it. She asked me if I could return it to the seller, and when I explained it was permanently mounted and would cost me $$/time to pull out she didn't push further. I gave her all of the info on the seller all of the transaction correspondence and things went silent for months.

I reached out to the seller, who appears to be a guy with a day job peddling used electronics, told him what I learned from the detective and asked him to replace the unit. I was extremely surprised when he had no knowledge of the crime, hasn't been contacted by the detective and futhermore that he offered to send me a replacement in kind.

Moral of the story. I suppose I lucked out and there are good decent people out there. Also, the original owner was meticulous enough to have documented the SN of his electronics then reported the theft to the Police and Garmin which ultimately led to the recovery of his property. I'm certain that he's already filed an insurance claim, has a new & improved unit installed and happy, but hopefully he gets his property back while it still has some residual value ($2k) and enjoys the secret honey hole GPS #'s from S. FL I loaded on the unit for him.
Hangover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2019, 08:31 AM   #2
*^* JaiBo *^*
Grand Slam

No happy ending....the crook was probably never caught.... hahahaha

Philippians 1:21

21 For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain.

Jason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2019, 09:13 AM   #3
US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
Sailfish

I'm confused? Kinda sorta seemed like a scam with police detective, etc. But unbeknown to you, you bought a stolen ff. Then it supposedly had been reported stolen from a store. So you contact the seller (possibly the crook or in cahoots with the crooks), but none the less, the person who sold you the stolen ff, and tell him it was stolen and you want a new one. Who gave the the new one, the seller? If that's the case, you know he's involved if he gave you a free ff. He's fencing the stolen goods. I'd have the new ff checked too, might be stolen?
CurDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2019, 12:04 AM   #4
Grand Slam

My head hurts after reading that.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
lettheairout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2019, 03:00 PM   #5
Grand Slam

I am also confused. You told the detective that the unit is permanently mounted so you still have the unit, right ?
Then you contacted the seller and asked him to replace the unit? But you still have the unit. Or is it because something quit working on the unit ? In which case, who warranties used electronic equipment ?
Yellow River Cat and Rickpcfl like this.
welldoya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2019, 01:55 AM   #6
TJ McBoatFace
Trigger

Yeah I initially griped at Detective that unit was mounted and would be time consuming/costly to uninstall. She gave up quick, that was my point.

After giving her some time to get the bad guys I contacted my seller who had not been contacted by the Det as I was told and instead of telling me to take a hike he made it right and sent me a new unit, drop shipped from "the factory".

Stolen unit is now back in the hands of the Det who can give it back to the rightful owner.

Takeaways for me is that, there are honest people out there who may very well have not known they were dealing in stolen stuff and in the end the property got back to the rightful owner.
Hangover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2019, 02:21 AM   #7
Sailfish

So after finding out your seller sold you stolen merchandise, you got another unit from that same seller. Your faith in people is greater than mine, I guess.

"Things are only impossible until they're not"
SurfRidr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2019, 09:53 AM   #8
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfRidr View Post
So after finding out your seller sold you stolen merchandise, you got another unit from that same seller. Your faith in people is greater than mine, I guess.
It all seemed a bit......fishy
grouper1963 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2019, 10:25 PM   #9
Blue Marlin

Default Say what?

A friend of mine would say, "That's just more than I know."

Somebody has gotta interpret this one for me.
Old 12-11-2019, 12:26 AM   #10
Grand Slam

Mmmmm.
Attached Images

welldoya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in