Is there any info from the piers? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > General Discussion

Old 06-06-2010, 04:04 PM   #1
Blue Marlin

Default Is there any info from the piers?

GS Pier ought to be a good look out point.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2010, 05:40 PM   #2
Snapper

Default RE: Is there any info from the piers?

I rode out to the GS pier yesterday. It was closed for fishing as of the evening of the 4th, but was open to walk. There were about 3 buses of workers just sitting there waiting for something to do. There was a lot of seaweed, but that was all I could see. It's possible that there could have been small tarballs on the beach, but I didn't go down there. You could catch a faint whiff of something every now and then when the wind blew just right. Perdido pass was packed with workers waiting around. At least 3 big trailers loaded with boom.

The very small pass down towards the west end of beach blvd was completely closed off with a giant sand berm so no water would come into little lagoon at that entrance point. Hard to see in this pic, but I'm driving eastbound and looking north at the berm closing off the small pass.

This seemed to be another staging area and I waited for what looked to be about 30 workers with gloves and trash bags to cross the road. From what I could see there just didn't seem to be much for them to pick up at the moment, but I was glad to see them there and ready.

Might head back out today just to take a look around. Will let you know if anything is going on.
d45miller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2010, 12:44 AM   #3
Grouper

Send a message via MSN to bmoore

The new Navarre Beach pier was nice today and yesterday. Saw no oil or tar balls and a few Kings were being caught.
bmoore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2010, 01:04 AM   #4
Blue Marlin

The boom probably won't work on slow tide days and definitely won't work on full and new moon tides. Talk about urinating into a hurricane!

Too little too late.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:12 AM   #5
Snapper

Went out to see the GS pier a little while ago. Still closed to fishing, but today I did see very small blobs of oil in between the seaweed on the sand. There were still a few people playing in the water and people walking on the beach (gingerly stepping to avoid the oil). Kind of hard to see in the pic, but the dots between the seaweed were the oil. Probably about nickel to quarter sized. It still looked like a very nice day other than that. Lots of people still out which is good to see.

Old 06-07-2010, 04:32 PM   #6
Ruby Red Lip

Guys I don't know where you are looking but there are tar balls everywhere along the beach. I went out yersterday and took these pictures.

I also took this video.....
</a>

The crap is here....did you not smell it yestersay? That wonderful salt air was replaced by a stench of diesel.
sandphlea is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2010, 04:55 PM   #7
Trigger

Yep, smelled it big time yesterday afternoon downtown at the municiple pier. Winds were wsw ataround 15-20 and Icould smell it in puffs about 50% of the time...
DVR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2010, 05:58 PM   #8
Snapper

Quote:
sandphlea (07/06/2010)Guys I don't know where you are looking but there are tar balls everywhere along the beach. I went out yersterday and took these pictures.

I also took this video..... <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEaGUpKruXY"><a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEaGUpKruXY">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEaGUpKruXY</a></a>

The crap is here....did you not smell it yestersay? That wonderful salt air was replaced by a stench of diesel.
Sandphlea, I watched your video and that'sa good bit worse than what I sawat theGS pier yesterday.The landfall is still somewhat sporadic. I know it was pretty thick towards Fort Morgan last Friday, and some places haven't seen tar balls since Saturday. No I really didn't smell anything yesterday. Maybe my sniffer is broken. I was simply reporting back my personal experience. I apologizeif it seemed like I wastrying to downplay the situation. I definitely know what's coming and how bad it will get, butthat's what I saw. I do agree with some others though,even after actually seeing a bit of oil yesterday, the "cleanup crews" seem to be sitting on their hands.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:53 PM   #9
Ruby Red Lip

I wasn't hacking on you for down playing the situation. I am rather upset, like most,about all this and when I saw my favorite fishing spot littered with this crap...it hurt!

Then to top it off I came home kicked back for a few hours, walked outside and thought my car was leaking gas. But it didn't smell like gas, it smelled like diesel. Just the smell of diesel makes me sick and the thought of living with that smell for posibly the rest of my life...well need I say more?
sandphlea is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in