Take Me to the River (Looking for River Sand Bars or Islands for this Summer.) - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > General Discussion

Old 06-17-2010, 06:06 PM   #1
Mingo

Default Take Me to the River (Looking for River Sand Bars or Islands for this Summer.)

I herd there was some nice white sand bars up Blackwater. Is this true and how far up river are they located. I am looking for another spot to hang out the Summer. How about Gravine Island over in Mobile.
frayedknot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2010, 03:32 PM   #2
White Marlin

Default RE: Take Me to the River (Looking for River Sand Bars or Islands for this Summer.)

i know of a few. if you go to Perdido and launch at Rubys, go up Styx and there is a little beach that i enjoy hanging out at. not alot of people and its not really big but its across the river from the houses on the left going up river.
there is also a packed party beach up Perdido too but i havent went up there yet. i have a bunch of friends that hang out up there though.

there are also a couple on lower Escambia but if youre tryin to stay away from the oil im not sure that would work out great
ScullsMcNasty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2010, 08:37 PM   #3
Sailfish

Default RE: Take Me to the River (Looking for River Sand Bars or Islands for this Summer.)

Since I'm partial to the "Salt Life" and the rivers are a pretty long haul for us, I anticipate spending a good deal of time hanging out on the hook on the N. side of the Gulf Islands Nat'l Seashore just east of G.B. There's a big sandy hill if you look to the east crossing the bay bridge. If we can't get to McCree, I'll save lots of gas and time with the short ride too. It's a nice place with small crowds occasionally on weekends and a nice sandy bottom to relax in.
cuzmondo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2010, 11:44 PM   #4
White Marlin

Your best bet is Perdido River. There are some sandbars there that rival the quality of the beach, only with less people. Go to google maps and search the sat photos for sandbars, and you can overlay the boat ramps onto the map to see which is closest. The only issue with Perdido is that after every major t storm the log jams move making it a little unpredictable as to how far you can actually make it up the river but it is loaded with big and small white sandbars.
Hopin4aboat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2010, 11:54 PM   #5
Ruby Red Lip

BE WARNED ...... THE SANDBAR ON STYX RIVER, JUST BELOW THE HWY. 90 BRIDGE IS POST!!!

THE OWNER HAS IT POST ALL OVER " NO TRESPASSING " I THINK IT IS FROM ALL OF THE EXTREMELY LOUD MUSIC, TRASH AND BROKEN BEER BOTTLES LEFT BEHIND.
RODMIESTER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2010, 11:59 PM   #6
Blue Marlin

Quote:
frayedknot (17/06/2010)I herd there was some nice white sand bars up Blackwater.
Yes, Blackwater has some very nice sand bars. Just head up river from the bridge by the court house. After the strip of houses on the right up river a little ways hang a left. Thats where the good ones start.
Murphy's Law is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2010, 06:25 PM   #7
Trigger

Not sure if there is an actual name to the place, but I have been there a few times. Up the Tensaw river in Mobile there is a large beach. Real popular place to hangout ont he northeast side of the bay. Here is a link to the closest launch:

<a href="http://www.outdooralabama.com/fishing/freshwater/where/rivers/delta/access/e/cliffs/">http://www.outdooralabama.com/fishing/freshwater/where/rivers/delta/access/e/cliffs/</a>

Go down the river a mile or so and you can miss it on the west side of the river.
danthemanx07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2010, 06:40 PM   #8
Trigger

Quote:
danthemanx07 (21/06/2010)Not sure if there is an actual name to the place, but I have been there a few times. Up the Tensaw river in Mobile there is a large beach. Real popular place to hangout ont he northeast side of the bay. Here is a link to the closest launch:

<a href="http://www.outdooralabama.com/fishing/freshwater/where/rivers/delta/access/e/cliffs/"><a href="http://www.outdooralabama.com/fishing/freshwater/where/rivers/delta/access/e/cliffs/">http://www.outdooralabama.com/fishing/freshwater/where/rivers/delta/access/e/cliffs/</a></a>

Go down the river a mile or so and you can miss it on the west side of the river.
That would be Gravine Island!! Have been a few times, and always alot of fun.
Kamo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in