Stingrays are here! - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > General Discussion

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Fishboy56

Old 06-09-2019, 03:58 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default Stingrays are here!

I have been on the water for 50+ years and have been able to avoid stingrays until now. Shoes on shuffling watching being careful and bang!

I will add pictures later!
Pictures are in date order the small puncher is day1 the last picture showing the expanding tissue damage is today 8 days in.

Hit my right foot above the shoe, the main barb went in about an inch and hit the ankle bone. The main barb hit a major vein so there was lots of blood. Once I realized that I was hit I started running toward shore. When the pain of the protein venom hit my right leg collapsed, had to crawl sideways to the beach. Terry and Tina ran over and applied pressure to stop the bleeding. Some exceptionally nice people beached their boat and came over to help. Their daughter flagged down a Ft. Pickens Park Ranger Officers Robinson & Baker they applied a compress wrap and helped me walk to the road where we met the ambulance. A short ride to Baptist Gulf Breeze were they rushed me into a room and started hot water treatments, itís the only thing that calms the pain. 3 hours later Rob & Terry are taking me home! The pain is definitely a 10 for about 2-3 hours then it is just recovery and wound care. April-October is our big stingray season for the panhandle area. Be careful and make sure you teach the children to shuffle, respect nature and remember we are in their home!

The saga continued and on Monday June 3rd I was admitted to Baptist with a secondary infection, ouch. The infectious doctors took very agressive actions, since the oral antibotics did not work, with three IV delivered antibotics 2 times a day for seven days. The great news is the treatment plan seems to have worked. The staff was amazing at Baptist!!

Darn cellulitis, staph infection, and all the other bacteria in our area waters.
Just thankful that there was no vibrio present!
Fishboy56 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2019, 04:09 PM   #2
Bearded Brotula
Grand Slam

Dang, that sucks. I step on a couple every year and have been lucky to not get stuck.
Old 06-09-2019, 04:39 PM   #3
White Marlin

My grandfather got hit one time when we were out of the boat throwing the net and he said it was the worst pain he ever had! Thankfully he didn’t get the infection you got and recovered after a week or two of discomfort. Glad they got you on the strong antibiotics, it sounds like you’ll be back after them soon!

Old 06-09-2019, 05:54 PM   #4
Grand Slam

whoa.... glad you're on the mend...
Realtor is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2019, 08:15 PM   #5
Sailfish

Got hit about 20 yrs ago in PC. I was setting anchor in shallow water at a sand bar, I put it on the bottom and pushed it in with my foot, felt the hit right between my toes and saw him swim off, very small. For about 10 hrs it felt like someone put a blow torch between my toes.
Old 06-10-2019, 01:18 PM   #6
Ruby Red Lip

Thanks for the heads up. We've been to beach multiple times but never actually seen one. But I'll remind my kids to shuffle.
TEAMUS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in