Steering froze - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > General Discussion

Old 01-07-2008, 12:44 AM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default Steering froze

What tricks do you guys have to unstick the steering? I've tried everything I know and it will not come loose. I was able to beat the shaft back into the cylinder with a rubber mallet, but it will not break loose. I've tried forcing the motor to turn while someone worked the steering wheel and still no luck. I'm running out of options and patience:banghead. It's non-hydraulic.
maar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2008, 01:15 AM   #2
Grouper

Default RE: Steering froze

Mike, I have the same problem on my boat. I usually beat the hell out of it and try to move the motor around it usually beaks free after a while. When I finally do get it free I lube the crap out of it and turn the wheel both ways for a few minutes. Then when I come back in from using the boat I rinse the steering area really well while turning the motor in both directions then lube it some more. I use to have that problem alot when I kept the boat at a marina but since I brought it home I usually just go out there once or twice a week and turn the motor a few times and it keeps it free. I had a guy tell me once that if you keep your motor turned to one side it makes it easier to get it unstuck if it does happen. I would think that would help some????
BigFishKB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2008, 01:24 AM   #3
Trigger

I dont have any hints on getting a steering system unstuck but my steering worries me. No matter how much I lube the zerk fittings on the front of the lugs the grease always looks real rusty/black when it sticks to the steering shaft. Do those zerk fittings even lube the steering shaft or just keep the engine moving freely up and down?
SharkSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2008, 05:05 AM   #4
Sailfish

On most outboards the zerks on the tilt just lube the tilt shaft.

Dangerous, but I have used this technique many times. Get a concrete type nail gun, the type that uses special .22 blank cartridges, get face and eye protection plus heavy gloves, then with NO NAILS IN THE GUN, place the end of the gun on the end of the steering shaft, BAM, The sudden shock has always freed them up for me. BE CAREFUL!

Now pull the shaft out and clean it and run a big bore cleaning brush and swab through the bore, ( I use one from my muzzle loaders). No go to West Marine and buy a new nut for the end with the zerk fitting and repace the old nut. Give this a shot of good waterproof grease regularly while some one is turning the steering wheel. I use "Corrosion Block" brand grease.

Be careful!

Now a few words for the stupid alpha hotels who call themselves engineers and design a stainless steel shaft to operate a critical steering system through an aluminum housing while soaking in salt water:moon

Tom
Old 01-07-2008, 07:46 AM   #5
Blue Marlin

You could always bring it to me and let me take care of it for you,,, depending on the boat the engine will have to come off... call me for prices... thanks.

:usaflag

Ms Penny Outdoors Team

Yamaha Master Tech
Mercury Certified Tech

Barber Marina
251-987-1060

[email protected]
Sequoiha is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2008, 07:53 AM   #6
Praedator
Grand Slam

The only real cure is to take it off and apart and lube the system. Like what has been said before, a lot of boats do not have zerk fittings on the steering cable itself and has to be taken off to lube/replace etc....
Telum Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2008, 08:14 AM   #7
Blue Marlin

Yep and like Kenny said, there are some boat's [usually smaller ones] that the motor has to be removed to get the cable out.

This is due to not having enough room in the STB transom corner for the straight section of the cable to come out.

The VERY worse thing you can do is try and force it with the steering wheel. You will be putting a complete new steering box and cable in then, as it will break the gut's in the steering box.

I usually remove the drag link and put a pipe wrench on the flat section of the end of the cable and turn it back and forth. There are other tricks to it also.

Old 01-07-2008, 08:33 AM   #8
Sailfish

Mine froze up a year or so ago and I pumped grease into the fittings on either side of the motor on the bar assembly - here's a post about the same problem from the old forum. Based on the above posts, sounds like it depends on the severity and the size.

https://www.pensacolafishingforum.com...39&posts=8
need2fish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2008, 09:19 AM   #9
Sailfish

If Kenny is to far away, I am in Navarre.
sosmarine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2008, 09:32 AM   #10
Sailfish

I had one freeze up on me and I tried everything. Even an air hammer. I ended up having to cut the stearing cable and replace the "motor tube" or whatever its called. It really wasn't that expensive, cost me about 150 bucks which I thought was cheap when dealing with marine parts. The most expensive thing was hte yamaha paint as the tube came un-painted.

When I put it back together I put a grease fitting on the cable itself.
AUradar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in