Squid - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > General Discussion
Register Fishing Photos FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Advertise

Old 05-16-2010, 04:37 AM   #1
Snapper

Default Squid

Does anyone fish for squid here? I have two interests. One is for bait. I would think a live squid would be supreme bait for many fish. Second, we like to eat them. Calamari; yummy.

A friend of mine said she used to take her kids to the pier at Fort Pickens, but all they seemed to catch she said were squid. Boy, that was news to me. The few times I have been thereno squid were caught. I have seen a couple of squid swim to my boat; swimming after lures it seemed. But those two occasions were rare. I think my friend said mainly she went to Ft Pickens at night.

Two years ago we went to Brazil. We spent several days at Copacobana and Ipanema beaches. Fishing from the beach was fairly popular there, and a number of prople were fishing for and catching squid. Surf fishing for squid! The water was pretty darn cold by the way. Who would think, that close to the equator.
Nitzey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2010, 09:40 AM   #2
Sailfish

Default RE: Squid

The only time Ive caught squid was trawling for shrimp in alabama, which is illegal here unless you have a commercial license. Alabama allows recreational trawling
choppedliver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2010, 02:10 PM   #3
Trigger

Fort pickens pier has squid at night. you can drop a light close to the water to attract them and then use a cast net. They are generally small, but plentiful.
OBsession is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2010, 03:25 PM   #4
Trigger

Two years ago we were a half mile off the beach and stopped on what we thought was structure that had shown up on the bottom machine, turned out to be a big school of squid, after putting down some cigar minnows we started getting bit but couldn't hook anything and when we brought the baits up they all had these little holes in them. At first I thought we had a small trigger fish problem until one of the kids brought a bait up really slow and it had three squid attached, after that it was game on for the kids. They must have caught about thirty of those things.

This was at 11 in the morning about a mile east of Pickens.
DoubleD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2010, 06:52 PM   #5
Snapper

I tried that once. Anchoredour boat near there and let a submersible light down. The main thing we seemed to attract were crabs. Could have filled a bushel basket if we had had a long-handled net. Also fish, but nothing good. Mostly lady fish. Will have to try that again.

Interesting report about the thick school of squid. I have never seen one, but it is amazing how many times I have seen incredible sights out there. It makes it so worthwhile just to got out there.
Nitzey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2010, 08:12 PM   #6
Trigger

I the early Spring and in the Fall, I have caught squid many times from the pier at St. Andrews state park in PC.
bamagator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in