so...Tell me about Destin, from a s trictly fishing point of view - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > General Discussion

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Desert Eagle
  • 1 Post By Hook
  • 1 Post By Hook
  • 1 Post By Catchinem

Old 07-05-2014, 11:43 AM   #1
Red Snappa Slappa
Trigger

Default so...Tell me about Destin, from a s trictly fishing point of view

A little background, the family and I have always fished out of Mexico Beach, we know it quite well, and have had a fair amount of success when the weather permits us taking our 22' bay boat out of the canal... This past vacation had us tied to the dock for 5.5 of our 7 day vacation, and the wife is now ready for us to find a place with more opportunities. I have been researching both Pensacola and Destin, Destin seems to have more "close and faster" access to the gulf if you have a rental with a boat slip, which is what we prefer.

We are looking to mostly bottom fish with the slow trolling for Kings thrown in....we are looking for a place that would have a good reef systems and would allow a chance for red snapper when in season,,,,but also looking for mingos and grouper.....

From what I can tell from the beginning of my research, Pensacola is heavily saturated with artificial reefs, but run times from the bay to the gulf would be greatly increased.....

I know the fishing in the bay around Destin can yield trout and reds, and also Sheepshead when they are in the bay....

I am specifically looking for input and info with regards to near shore/off shore fishing in the Destin area

any help, info, input would be greatly appreciated
slayerextreme is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2014, 12:30 PM   #2
Snapper

Destin has a very short run to kings and other trolling fish that will pull on the line. Lots of wrecks and reefs too. It gets my vote.
atlantacapt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2014, 11:19 PM   #3
Sailfish

Well, Destin has it's fair share of reefs, Army M-60 tanks, Air Force barges, old Destin Bridge rubble, etc., in numerous locs. Go to "divespots.com" (?) and see what you can find within 5-miles of the Destin jetties. Pensacola has a very deep pass - U.S. Navy aircraft carriers were formerly homeported there so you get 65+ feet and Red Snapper and Grouper within a few minutes from launching. I think finding and catching live bait in Destin from anywhere around the bridge to just out pass the jetties is usually plentiful - Threadfin Herring and Cigs. You'll run out about 2-3 miles before you find 65' depths. Chocktawhatchee Bay can also provide excellent fishing for inshore species - just ask Bill Dance!!! Like AtlantaCapt, Destin gets my vote...
aroundthehorn likes this.
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2014, 08:58 AM   #4
Sailfish

Pensacola has my vote and I fished out of Destin for over 30 years. Pensacola has much less traffic better bay fishing but both passes can get rough.
aroundthehorn likes this.
Hook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2014, 09:49 AM   #5
Grand Slam

Pretty much what everybody else said. You can find a GPS list of artificial reefs online. (I have the file somewhere if you can't find it.) Destin is a good spot; remember too that you can trailer a boat pretty easily in the off season and fish Pensacola as well. The area has a huge charter fleet; that says something.

I always wanted to fish the Timber Holes and hope to in the next few weeks.

aroundthehorn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2014, 09:02 PM   #6
Sailfish

When the blue water is in Pensacola is closer as you will find a ton of destin boats fishing 131 ect!
Kim likes this.
Hook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2014, 09:23 PM   #7
Mingo

I have lived in Destin for 35 years and I am looking forward to the day I can move to Pensacola to go fishing. This place is strung out.
Hook likes this.
Catchinem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2014, 09:53 PM   #8
Grand Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catchinem View Post
I have lived in Destin for 35 years and I am looking forward to the day I can move to Pensacola to go fishing. This place is strung out.
But all your gear, your boat will get stolen. That is if you don't get robbed at gun point or worse when you return after dark.

Last edited by Outside9; 07-06-2014 at 10:14 PM.
Outside9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in