Side scanning sonar - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > General Discussion

Old 02-23-2010, 02:30 PM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default Side scanning sonar

Anyone have experience with the various brands of side scanning, side imageing sonar like the Hummingbird 798ci or the Lowrance side structure scanning units? Pros.....cons.....likes ....dislikes.... Do they work as well as their advertisements claim?

Thanks

Don
Mariner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2010, 03:14 PM   #2
Sailfish

Default RE: Side scanning sonar

I wouldnt bother with them, you may find things I get to see. Love my Humminbird
inshorecatch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2010, 03:16 PM   #3
Snapper

We used the Humminbird side scan on search and rescue, really amazing step up from reg sonar. I am a Lowrance fan and think their new side scan with LSS-1 Structure scan will blow Humminbird out of the water.

Reg sonar shows an image of something, but its a guess as to what it is. The side scan gives you a much better image giving you a pretty good image to decide whats down there. The Lowrance with the add on structure scan in almost like a picture with much better detail and in HD.

I have not had very good luck with humminbird, always been a lowrance fan. Heard Lowrance Customer service is bad, but I have never had a problem. Humminbird seems to not be very water proof as they claim, sucks trying to see the sonar with moisture on the back side of the screen. Prongs for the power and sonar will carode from the salt water. Never had this happen with Lowrance.

You might pm Clint no worrys on here, he works with side scan training the dive team with Escambia Search and Rescue, sure he can give you some very good advise.
Jig n Hawgs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2010, 03:27 PM   #4
Ruby Red Lip

I had the Humminbird 797ci (the precursor to the 798ci) on my Nauticstar 1800 bay boat and even though the side scan doesn't work while you are at speed, the picture is really impressive while you are looking for structure and bottom contour. Once you learn how to read the screen, it is like looking at a black and white picture of the bottom.

The GPS worked really well too. The only thing I would have done differently was the mounting of the screen. We mounted ours on top of the center console. I don't know if you can but I would have liked to mounted it flush on the front.
downLOWEdiver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2010, 09:50 AM   #5
Ruby Red Lip

Anybody else have an opinion or thoughts on the subject???
Mariner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2010, 06:43 PM   #6
Cigar Minnow

I was very interested in this type of sonar at one point, I did a good bit of research on the hummingbird about 2 yrs ago. At that point and time, depth in salt water was the limiting factor and what kept me from buying it. Can't remember for sure, but I beleive it was pretty limited past 75 to 100 feet. I feel quite sure the tech. will get better and better and I will deffiently own one at some point. Hummingbird has a yahoo group that you can get alot of info off of. Would be real interested to hear limitations on depth for the Lowerance.
koilane is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2010, 12:30 AM   #7
Snapper

I've got the Humminbird 997 and I use it for work and fishing both.

It is hard to read the screen in sidescan mode when you are on the water and driving a boat, at least for me at age 63. It works great if you record what you are seeing and take it home to play with on the computer.

Maybe I will get better with more use and if I learn to adjust the gain and contrast better, but right now I have a hard time seeing much fine detail when it's live on the water. I may also try to arrange some kind of sunscreen.

The mapping is great.
fred is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2010, 10:13 AM   #8
Sailfish

Send a message via AIM to MGuns

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">I would stay away from Lowrance simply due to my experience with their lack of customer service.
MGuns is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2010, 11:23 AM   #9
Mingo

I would probably avoid lowrance also. Its a pretty good product but I sent mine in to get repaired last October and just got it back 2 weeks ago- I got the run around every time I called to check the status
Shankopotamus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in