Rod and reel feedback plz....... - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > General Discussion
Register Fishing Photos FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Advertise

Old 03-17-2010, 12:34 PM   #1
Mingo

Default Rod and reel feedback plz.......

Am looking at a rod and reel set up that I will use on piers and from the surf.........the reel is a Daiwa Saltist spinning reel, STT4500.......paired up with an Offshore Angler Extreme Cobia rod (8 ft in length)....thinking that the nine footer would be too long for pier fishing??????

Just trying to get some feedback on this set up........any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.......budget is roughly $300 for such a combo. Am thinking that this set up would be a fairly good "all around" combo.......what are your thoughts?
RickD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2010, 12:46 PM   #2
Grouper

Default RE: Rod and reel feedback plz.......

loaded with 40 or 50 lb braid it should work. For the pier, a 9 foot rod is a good choice.
jigslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2010, 02:01 PM   #3
Snapper

9 ft is too much for me for some applications but the 8 ft has been enough for me to cast out to the surf and to also use for other pursuits.
Island24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2010, 02:23 PM   #4
Ruby Red Lip

$300 seems like a lot for a surf/pier combo. Why not pair up a Penn Sargus reel (approx $70 on eBay) and an Ugly Stik rod ($60 for the Ugly Stik Big Water Rods, which are offered all the way up to 15')?

Just my opinion. I've heard nothing but good things about the Daiwa Saltist line and the Offshore Angler stuff I have has been great. But I think you can save some cash and/or get 2 combos for what you're budgeting.

I have a Penn Sargus that's tamed many AJs and Kings, so I know it's up to the task.
gtchris19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2010, 02:40 PM   #5
Kim
Blue Marlin

Rod and reels are the endless debate among recreational fishermen because there are so many of us and so much to choose from and everyone has their favorites. Added to that is the cost of them, everything from $30.00 to $1300.00 for a spinning rod and reel set up. I'm sure that there are rigs that are even more expensive than that. You are on the right track by asking on the forum because you will get feed back from folks to help make your selection easier. Something else to think about before buying is to fish with other people and I'm sure that they will let you test out their rigs. We all have our favorites for surf, pier, jigging, trolling etc. The most important thing to keep in mind when choosing is to match the rod and reel to the type of fishing you plan on doing. As long as you do that you will end up satisfied with your choice because your rig will handle the range of fishing you bought it for. Good luck and tight lines to you.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2010, 09:18 PM   #6
Grouper

The OLE Still Going.

OK, my first saltwater combo was a Penn 8500ss with a STAR Rod. I bought this in 1996. I liked the combo so much I went and bought me another one just like it. The rod is a STAR ROD, 25# deluxe 7'6". I have fished this combo from the jetties at Alabama Pt. ,Ft. Pickens, the surf, and now from my boat. This combo has caught all kinds of species of fish. Bullreds,Blackfin Tuna,King Mackeral, Snapper, Amberjack, Sharks(biggest about 100lbs. from the surf), Pinfish, Pigfish, hardtails, Dolphin, cobia,stingray, skates, crab, ans I'm sure a few more. The STAR ROD has been awesome. STAR RODS are my favorite. I have never seen a STAR ROD break while fighting a fish. When I bought my STAR ROD I paid $90.00 bucks for it. the complete combo cost about $225.00 bucks. These combos have been , never mind, well used like one in Brownsville on Sat. nite. I would put these combos in a bag and strap it over my shoulder for the trek out to the Jetties and the point at Ft. Morgan & Ft. Pickens. The combos would be banging together against eachother, pvc pipes, and other rods. No weights were attached to the rods while all the banging and clanking together. They have been dropped, kicked and set on the gunnel of my boat alot. I would only fish with an 8oz. pyramid weight and big bait while fishing the surf and the piers. The *STAR RODS* have been great and I would buy another in a heartbeat.

I highly recommend a *STAR ROD* 7'6" 25# Deluxe Rod for a spinning reel.
Sea Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2010, 12:17 AM   #7
Mingo

thanks for the responses.......sound recommendations and advice.....
RickD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in