Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

Removing stains

2K views 14 replies 15 participants last post by  fishorcutbait 
#1 ·
Is there anything that takes out the brown stains left on the bottom of a boat if it is left in the water to long. My dad happened to do this before we got his lift installed. The boat is only 2 years old and I'd like it look that way. It currently has a visible scum line and the entire bottom is stained brown.

#6 ·
I highly recommend a "hull wash" with Oxalic (sp) acid. I use the Star Bright brand and pick it up at Wally World, a little bit goes a long way. Wet a large sponge, wear rubber gloves and wipe it on and let it sit a few minutes the just rinse with a hose. Easiest cleaning you'll ever do, but you will definetely need to wax the boat thoroughly afterward as it strips the wax finish.

#7 ·
Captain Jake Adams (9/9/2008)Go to the hardware store and buy a gallon of muratic acid for $6. It works great but just don't take a big whiff of it!
Yup and dont get it on your hands. It will take it right off probally wont even have to scrub it. Muratic acid in a bucket with a little soap and water and brush on and spray off. You need to wax the bottom afterwords.

#9 ·
West Marine has a blue gel called FGR or something like that. The salesman will show you. Stands for fiberglass restorer. It has an acid that is safe to use while the boat is on the trailer. Most of the other ones mentioned can damage your trailer. You just spread it on, let it sit a few minutes, then rinse it off. A good friend tried most of the other remedies but still had a slight brown stain remaining. He put on a little of the blue gel and the boat looks like brand new. Works fast and is so easy.

#10 ·
cuzmondo (9/9/2008)I highly recommend a "hull wash" with Oxalic (sp) acid. I use the Star Bright brand and pick it up at Wally World, a little bit goes a long way. Wet a large sponge, wear rubber gloves and wipe it on and let it sit a few minutes the just rinse with a hose. Easiest cleaning you'll ever do, but you will definetely need to wax the boat thoroughly afterward as it strips the wax finish.
I second this stuff, it is the easiest you will ever use. No scrubbing and no elbo grease. That stuff is freaking amazing. My boat was in the water for years, but one application and it was white as snow. This stuff is great.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.