Removal of Sunken Shrimp Boat $49,000 - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > General Discussion
Register Fishing Photos FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Advertise

Like Tree29Likes

Old 01-23-2020, 08:29 PM   #1
Grand Slam

Default Removal of Sunken Shrimp Boat $49,000

Bay Tiger, the 39-foot shrimp boat that sank in Pensacola Bay in December, will finally be removed and its owner could be stuck with the bill, on top of a pending criminal charge.

The shrimp boat sank Dec. 9 in 20 feet of water while pulling shrimp nets in the bay about a mile south of Warrington and has discharged a sheen of fuel and oil*for several weeks.
Now, the Escambia County Commission has voted 5-0 to hire Hondo Enterprises Inc. out of DeFuniak Springs to remove the boat for $49,000.
Meanwhile, the owner of the boat, John Derek Williams, 47, of Pensacola, is facing a criminal charge for abandoning a derelict vessel, a misdemeanor, according to an incident report from the Florida Wildlife Conservation Commission.

The charge carries a fine of up to $1,000 or a year in jail.

Williams could also be held liable for the recovery cost of the boat.

Escambia County Commissioners agreed that this case needed to be prosecuted aggressively to send a message that abandoning boats is not something that would be tolerated and asked County Administrator Janice Gilley to communicate that to the State Attorney's Office.

Commission Chairman Steven Barry said there's consensus on the board to adopt a policy for future cases that the county will recover its cost from the owners of boats that are abandoned.

According to the FWC incident report, Williams issued a mayday at about 9 p.m.*Dec. 9, and when FWC arrived, the boat had already sank.
The two people on the boat were rescued from the water.

Williams was unable to remove the boat and was issued a citation for abandoning the boat in state waters.
The $49,000 cost to remove the boat is coming from a state grant program created to help local governments remove derelict vessels.
Escambia County Marine Resources Division Manager Robert Turpin said the state moved quickly in this case.

Typically, when you see these projects, they're in the form of authorizing a grant agreement," Turpin said. "This is an actual purchase order where the state was willing to expedite the removal of the vessel."

An FWC letter to Escambia County said a demand letter will be sent to the owner to recover the removal costs.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2020, 11:29 PM   #2
Sailfish

Did it really take $49,000 to remove the boat....? Anything on the water is high dollar though....wow.....
fairpoint is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2020, 12:17 AM   #3
Grand Slam

It hasn’t happened yet, it will soon. I’m curious on the method, for that amount of money they will be using a crane.
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2020, 12:42 AM   #4
White Marlin

Kind of hard NOT to abandon the boat when it sinks out from under you. Sounds more like the boat abandoned them.
Old 01-24-2020, 06:50 AM   #5
Grand Slam

Onr of those shrimpboats sank in the landcut abour 25 years ago. I was contacted by the Coast Guard. They asked me to clear the landcut so coal barges could get through. Took me 2 days to rig floats on it to get the hull high enough to pump it out. Towed it down to williams shipyard. I got I believe $500 for the job. A week after the owner called me and gave me an 80 qt. Cooler of shrimp. Vietnamese shrimpers. Every shrimper in pensacola called me every time they needed a diver. Like Filipinos in the Navy, get one for a friend And you get the whole community. Again the good old days, lots of good memories.

Oh to raise this boat get a barge with A frame hoist or crane, hook into engine raise hull pump it out. Use visqueen, Rags wood to stop any leaks. Take to Bud at Williams.
Snagged Line, SHatten and Big Red like this.

Last edited by sealark; 01-24-2020 at 07:01 AM.
sealark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2020, 10:39 AM   #6
Sailfish

With a helper. Hookah, truck inner tubes, gas genset & work we saved a bunch of boats that were on the bottom after Katrina.

81 years and health challenges have slowed me down.
Corpsman and Kamac like this.
Old 01-24-2020, 10:52 AM   #7
Grand Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldflathead View Post
With a helper. Hookah, truck inner tubes, gas genset & work we saved a bunch of boats that were on the bottom after Katrina.

81 years and health challenges have slowed me down.
Yes that's how I did the landcut shrimp boat. Much easier if ya have the right gear. And about 30 less years on our ass.
Old 01-24-2020, 02:44 PM   #8
Trigger

Why are they getting someone out of DeFuniak Springs? Can't they find someone local? That don't sound right to me...
ONEOLDCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2020, 04:42 PM   #9
Blue Marlin

It was the lowest bid.
wld1985 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2020, 05:17 PM   #10
White Marlin

From what I understand, the packing gland broke. You can go down in a hurry from a shaft leak.

We came out of Bayou Le Batre from one of the yards from a major overhaul. Supposedly, the yard removed all the old packing in the gland and repacked it. We got underway and 5 minutes later, I went into the engine room to check things out. Water was already above the floorboards. Our gland held 18 rounds of packing...I had to add 15 rounds while two HV bilge pumps were running.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in