Blue Marlin

Default Pontoon prop help

2008 StarCraft 246 RE CR (24')
Two pontoons - 25" diameter
2008 Suzuki DF115
4.25" gearcase
Lower unit gear ratio - 2.083
Recommended operating range - 5,000 to 6,000 RPM
Current prop - aluminum Yamaha 13.25 x 17 (see photo)

That is the prop that came with the boat when I bought it last year.

With two adults and 30 gallons of gas, the boat tops out at 23 mph (iPhone GPS app) at 5950 RPM (WOT). My wife and I like to cruise in the evenings and enjoy the sights. With an additional couple of people the boat's performance does not seem to be affected.

Whenever the grandkids are here, they love to go out on the boat. The three boys are too young to tube and the grand daughter would rather cruise or fish. So no tubing in the near future.

I feel that a prop specifically designed for pontoons would give me a better performance and handling due to the larger propeller blades.

I'm looking at the Turbo Pontoon I stainless steel prop 14 x 13". Turbo props are a Yamaha product specifically geared for pontoons (two logs).

I looked at the Yamaha performance data for several pontoons (same length and # of pontoons) powered by a Yamaha F115 and using this prop. The loading was similar but the max speed at WOT was in the 30's.

The current prop has a straight trailing edge with no cup. I just don't think it is the right prop for a pontoon. The diameter and the blades are too small and do not seem to move much water at lower speeds. Maneuvering at low speeds and also docking could be improved.

Here is my rationale for settling on the Turbo Pontoon I 14x 13" prop.

I used the common rule of thumb of 200 RPM change for each 1" change in pitch. I also used 200 RPM change for each 1/4" change in diameter. I realize this works for similar props but I'm going to a different prop.

So decreasing the pitch 4" will gain me 800 RPM but increasing the diameter by 3/4" will result in a loss of 600 RPM. So that should put me in the 6150 RPM range...just below the rev limiter RPM.

I'm sure that I'll also loose some RPM due to the increase in the blade surface area. The Turbo Pontoon I prop has larger blades than a standard prop. I figure that I'll end up in the 6,000 RPM range after switching the props.

If I'm very close to the rev limiter RPM range, I always have the option to increase the cup of the prop.

The next higher available pitch in this prop is 15". However, I'm concerned that I might end up to far below the 6,000 RPM target...and I'll be stuck.

Bottom line: I'm looking for inputs.

What type and size of prop do you run on you twin log pontoon? Hopefully, there are a few twin log pontoon owners in the 24' range powered by a 115 hp outboard.

Thanks for any input.

Pontoon prop help-pontoon-prop-jpg

Last edited by Orion45; 08-12-2015 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Added some info
Orion45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2015, 10:06 PM   #2
Kiss My
Mingo

I don't know if any of this will help but here is my prop of a story. 86 crest 25' big toon family fishing rig. Old 70's 140 Johnson. 13.75x13 prop. From my limited experience pitch is very important on a pontoon to get the low end grab to get it moving. I also seen that Harbor View had some pontoon props on clearance the other day when I was down there.
Old 08-13-2015, 10:34 AM   #3
Blue Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reel Justice View Post
I don't know if any of this will help but here is my prop of a story. 86 crest 25' big toon family fishing rig. Old 70's 140 Johnson. 13.75x13 prop. From my limited experience pitch is very important on a pontoon to get the low end grab to get it moving. I also seen that Harbor View had some pontoon props on clearance the other day when I was down there.
Will call Harbor View this morning.

Thanks for the info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2015, 10:26 PM   #4
Sailfish

Orion Driver: Did you buy your pontoon at Gulf Coast Boating Center in Ft. Walton???
Old 08-13-2015, 10:37 PM   #5
Sailfish

Go see the guys at Accuprop. They'll know exactly what to do, and try to bring your prop with you too.
60hertz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2015, 09:21 AM   #6
Blue Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Eagle View Post
Orion Driver: Did you buy your pontoon at Gulf Coast Boating Center in Ft. Walton???
No. Bought it from an individual.
Old 08-14-2015, 09:44 AM   #7
Blue Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60hertz View Post
Go see the guys at Accuprop. They'll know exactly what to do, and try to bring your prop with you too.
Went there in July. They told me a 14 x 13 aluminum prop designed for a pontoon would be the ticket. They also could order a ss prop but it was a bit too pricey. They did not have a loaner on hand that would fit my pontoon.

Also went to the Prop Shop but they had no pontoon props available to try out. Will try them again next week and see if something came in.

Tried ordering the Turbo Pontoon I locally in July but was told it would not ship until mid September.

Called a place online yesterday that had the prop listed. Called them before ordering and was told it would not ship until mid October. Seems that Yamaha, who owns Turbo Prop and Stiletto, might close the factory down.

I had a Stiletto ss prop on a previous boat and was very happy with it.

So it's back to the drawing board. Guess I'll wander around pontoon dealerships and see what kind of props they have installed on their boats.
Old 08-14-2015, 10:33 AM   #8
Grouper

Location: live in Baton Rouge but have a condo in Pensacola Beach

Contact Ken @ propgods.com -- also I have had great results with a 4 bld. prop on both pontoons and deck boats. 4 bld.'s also give a lot better control when docking and in reverse.
lsucole is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2015, 04:21 PM   #9
Blue Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsucole View Post
Contact Ken @ propgods.com -- also I have had great results with a 4 bld. prop on both pontoons and deck boats. 4 bld.'s also give a lot better control when docking and in reverse.
Thanks. Left Ken a msg.
Old 08-14-2015, 05:40 PM   #10
Blue Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsucole View Post
Just spoke with Ken. Super nice guy and very helpful.

Recommended a Powertech WBX3 14 x 13" ss prop.

I think I'll just order that one from him.

Thanks for your input.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in