Phillips Inlet - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > General Discussion

Like Tree18Likes

Old 07-06-2013, 11:47 PM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default Phillips Inlet

Hello all. Due to the recent rainfall, I was wondering if the inlet was open? I know it's hit or miss these days but I can remember a time when we could get a 17' Montauk through consistently and without too much extra effort.
sealabamres is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2013, 12:18 AM   #2
White Marlin

Yes but the shore break will swamp your boat. Sunday may be doable. Monday will likely be passable. Keep your eye on e tide. That's a long way to push or drag anything of real weight.
Old 07-07-2013, 01:34 AM   #3
White Marlin

Years ago it opened and closed on a regular basis. Now its advertised on the states website as a freshwater dune lake. The last time I was there they had a berm built high enough that no high tide would ever top it. In my opinion they (state/county) whoever's responsible has ruined an exceptional fishery not to mention shut down the estuary system. All the sea grass is dead or dying and there's no telling what kind of run off comes out of the golf course in the form of fertilizers and other grounds keeping chemicals. All of this could be solved by simply letting nature do it thing and leave the pass to open and close on its own.
Five Prongs Of Fury is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2013, 01:55 AM   #4
Ruby Red Lip

It was back in the 80's- 90's when we used to use the inlet regularly. If I remember correctly the basic game plan was to leave yourself enough time, relative to the tide, to get back through. This was back in the "good ole days" when Walton County was still mostly scrub brush, US 98 was two lanes, and nobody had ever heard of a WaterColor, FL.
tiderider likes this.
sealabamres is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2013, 10:36 AM   #5
Grand Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealabamres View Post
It was back in the 80's- 90's when we used to use the inlet regularly. If I remember correctly the basic game plan was to leave yourself enough time, relative to the tide, to get back through. This was back in the "good ole days" when Walton County was still mostly scrub brush, US 98 was two lanes, and nobody had ever heard of a WaterColor, FL.
That's a fact. I spent a lot of time out there as a kid in the 60s and 70s, mostly hunting by boat or by truck down Side Camp Road. My great uncle owned the bait shop and boat rental place out there.
I haven't been down Side Camp in 25 years. Anybody know what it looks like down there now? I see the golf course when I cross the bridge. I heard there are houses along Side Camp now. True?
I see the old Lattimer house is still there on the point. That place is on the National Historic Register. That would have been some kinda hunting cabin back in the day.
welldoya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2013, 11:32 AM   #6
Grouper

Default Phillips inlet

Do you know the Padgetts. They use to manage that camp on the west side of the inlet. I think it was owned by some carpet mill in Georgia
Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2013, 12:54 PM   #7
Grand Slam

I did not know them. My uncle owned the one on the east side of the bridge.
I know Camp Helen was owned by some company in Georgia or Alabama. It was for the use of their employees before they closed it and the state bought it.
That area really has some interesting history. I always thought all those sand roads were just logging roads but they were actually major highways dating back to the civil war and even before.
The area where the golf course is used to be a settlement with houses, a school and free ranging hogs and cattle. My uncle was born over there. The old homestead was still there in the 70s as were the ruins of several houses.
There was even a hotel over there at one time on the north shore of the inlet.
Old 07-07-2013, 01:04 PM   #8
White Marlin

Camp Helen was owned by the Drummond family, of Drummond coal company from north Alabama.(that's what I have always heard)

Side camp road is very rural still. I use to hunt the east end, for about the last 10 years it was mostly one club. Now I think it is spit into 4 clubs. The west end of side camp I never really explored much but if I remember correctly, it turned down the power line and ran to point Washington. Wild heron(the golf course) runs up to the power line.
Old 07-07-2013, 01:59 PM   #9
Grand Slam

Hmm. I always heard it was owned by some garment company like Russell.
Side Camp goes from Hwy 79 as you enter West Bay to Hwy 98 near the convenience store west of the inlet bridge. I've traveled it's length a few times but you need 4wd.
Old 07-07-2013, 02:26 PM   #10
White Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by welldoya View Post
Hmm. I always heard it was owned by some garment company like Russell.
Side Camp goes from Hwy 79 as you enter West Bay to Hwy 98 near the convenience store west of the inlet bridge. I've traveled it's length a few times but you need 4wd.
Yeah, it was all a part of west end hunt club for years. It runs down until it hits the sand pits. It follows the trails down to the power line and runs the power line all the way down to water sound north. That is where it exits out now. The power company have it all torn up and it's virtually impassable on the west end. I went down there a couple weeks ago.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in