Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > General Discussion
Register Fishing Photos FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Advertise

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Try'n Hard
  • 1 Post By fishn4real

Old 01-09-2016, 09:54 AM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default Permits for new dock or boat lifts

Are permits in Santa Rosa County somewhat easy to get to add or improve existing docks? Same question but for a boat lift in a canal or bayou type area. Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this question.
CrackerACracker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2016, 11:19 AM   #2
Snapper

Default Should be the same as Escambia

DEP review and permission along with Corp of Engineer approval. I believe one is located out in Eylison field area. Check treated timber products while out there. The paperwork can be cumbersome, but achievable. It has been a few years since I did my work, thus my info is dated. Submit for all you think you want to do to do to avoid changes later. Good luck.

Bob

Excerpt from SR website:

Instructions:
1. Complete application and submit along with the following:
a. Provide a site plan drawn to scale of the proposed structure with exact dimensions and placement on the property. The location, relative to the body of water, including protrusion into or over the body of water must be shown. Existing structures on the water must also be shown. Please show all property lines. For docks, piers, and covered boathouses, please show how high each extends above the mean high water line.
b. Submit $100.00 fee for Coastal Construction Review.
c. Provide a copy of permit or exemption letter from FDEP with approved drawings.
d. Provide a copy of permit or exemption letter from Army Corps of Engineers with approved drawings.
Taken from the Santa Rosa County Land Development Code:
Article 6.03.5.F
F. Docks, Piers and Mooring Devices: Non commercial structures such as piers, docks, wharves,
mooring devices, lifting and launching devices, the decking of which is no higher than three (3) feet above mean high water, are permitted as accessory structures where allowed in residential districts. Such structures shall not extend seaward from the property line for more than three hundred (300) feet or fifteen (15) percent of the open water span at the point of installation whichever is less, except as provided in Section 6.03.05(F)(5.b).
When structures are constructed on waterfront property and are to cross on or over areas of public access, this access may not be impeded or blocked by such structures. The owner of said structure must construct or provide public access. This provision shall apply only to water front property located on Escambia Bay south of Highway 90, Blackwater Bay south of Interstate 10, East Bay and Santa Rosa Sound.
On all construction of docks, boathouses, piers, retaining walls, seawalls, and dolphin poles a zoning review and site plan must be filed and approved by the Community Planning, Zoning and Development Division before building permits can be obtained or construction begun.
The site plan must include:
1. A survey of the property showing all boundaries.
2. Permits or exemption letters from FDEP and Army Corps of Engineers.
3. A drawing of the proposed structure with exact dimensions and their placement on the property. The location, relative to the body of water including protrusion into or over the body of water, must be shown.
4. A plat, survey or other documentation to confirm the width or distance across the body of water.
5. All canal front construction must meet the following dimensions and setbacks.
a. Side setbacks will be fifteen (15) feet or fifteen (15) percent of the water frontage
width whichever is less.
b. All construction including dolphin poles and/or moored watercraft shall be set back from the center line of the canal a distance equal to twenty-five percent (25%) of
the canal width except for Polynesian Isles Subdivision canal system and the terminal ends of any canals. The requirements for those areas are as follows:
The terminal ends of the canals are considered special circumstances. In such cases the Planning and Zoning Department shall have discretion in determining the setbacks, configurations and distances into the canal for docks/piers and boatlifts. The goal will be to allow a property owner the ability to moor a boat in such a manner that does not deny nearby property owners similar mooring ability. Adjacent or affected property owners as determined by the Planning and Zoning Department will be consulted to determine the impact to them. If any such affected property owner has objections and a compromise can not be obtained, the applicant must apply for a variance from the Santa Rosa County Board of Adjustments. The SRCBOA decision shall be based upon the goal of allowing a property owner the ability to moor a boat in such a manner that does not deny nearby property owners similar mooring ability.
The Polynesian Isles Subdivision canal system shall consist of the following subdivisions: Polynesian Islands, Polynesian Islands First Addition, Bay Ridge Park Second Addition, Whisper Bay Seventh Addition, and Ebbtide Townhomes. A dock or pier may not extend more than five (5) feet into the canal past the platted or surveyed property line. The only thing that may be allowed to extend into the canal in addition to a dock/pier is a boat lift. A boat lift may extend an additional ten (10) feet past the platted or surveyed property line into the canal. The boat lift may be covered with a roof. There can be no walls extending down from the roof line enclosing any portion of the boat lift. No elements, members, catwalks, dock, roof overhangs or moored/docked watercraft can extend into the canal more than a combined total of fifteen feet past the platted or surveyed property line. All moored or docked watercraft must be inside the limits of the boatlift or along side and resting against the allowed dock.
c. Decking shall be no more than three (3) feet above mean high water.
d. Seawalls must be located on or behind the surveyed property line bordering the canal.
e. No waterfront construction, except for seawalls may begin until the foundation for the residence has been completed and inspected.
f. Building permits must be posted in accordance with the building code.
g. Boat shelters or storage structures shall be unwalled and shall not have roofs exceeding twenty-five (25) feet above mean high water.
6.08.12 Guidelines for Construction in Navarre Beach Canals: Docks or boardwalks shall be no higher than the seawall or protrude more than four (4) feet over the water from the seawall. Width shall not exceed into side yard setbacks. Docking pilings may be set in the canal and shall be no further from the seawall than twenty-five (25) percent of the width of the canal. Docking pilings set in the canal shall be limited to four (4) per lot and shall not exceed eight (8) feet in height above the height of the seawall. Any structure and boat combined shall not exceed the above states boundaries (25% of the canals). No structure shall include sidewalls or roof as these may infringe on adjacent property owners water view.

Last edited by boatnbob; 01-09-2016 at 11:47 AM.
boatnbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2016, 08:45 PM   #3
Trigger

Some people build docks without permits. Some people add to existing docks without permits. I don't think anyone is looking at this.
blkwtr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2016, 09:04 PM   #4
Snapper

Default To permit or not to permit?

We had a fine neighbor who dimed out another neighbor who had not obtained a permit for their bulkhead and elevator lift. The county came in during the sale of their town home and threatened them with fines and a tear down order. She was a real PIA to everyone. Karma for that fine human.

I had neighbor build out a 4 post lift and pier without nary a permit last year. Even though his wife was a douche to us several times, I let it go. The dude is alright, just hamstrung with an unpleasant mate. Do it on the weekend and pray your neighbors don't dime you out, or do it right without having to worry about compliance issues after the fact The permit can be a real PIA, but the choice is yours. Just be smart about it and don't advertise what you are doing. Remember, Google earth has historical pic's of all of our properties, so it isn't difficult to determine changes. Your choice.

Bob
Old 01-10-2016, 12:47 AM   #5
Grouper

My house has a broken dock. It was that way when I bought it. Do I need a permit to rebuild the dock. Also, how would I know how long was the dock permitted originally?
goheel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2016, 02:01 AM   #6
Grand Slam

Default Permits for new dock or boat lifts

You need to fix it - potential hazard. If anyone questions it tell them Tryn Hard approved it!!
I've said it here before- "docks are pee your pants fun! "
Splittine and boatnbob like this.
Try'n Hard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2016, 09:45 AM   #7
Snapper

Default I agree with Tryn Hard

I am sure the county you live in can provide a legal answer. I would think a repair to address safety would be ok if the dollar amount stays under a prescribed amount (which it will always ). You may not want to open pandoras box trying to verify whether or not the dock was properly permitted. As the years have changed, I am sure the permitting and app rules have changed as well.
Old 01-10-2016, 02:37 PM   #8
Sailfish

Location: Ozark, Missouri - 6 miles from Bass Pro Shops' world headquarters; and the entire gulf coast area.

If you have owned the property through at least one re-appraisal, then you have been assessed with a dock. If you have not received a notice of code violation as result of the dock being present on your property; either the dock was permitted, or, it has been grandfathered in.

If the dock is in disrepair, you have a legal obligation to either remove it as a navigational and safety hazard, or, you are required to repair it to proper operational condition. Mitch's Law.
boatnbob likes this.
fishn4real is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2016, 12:21 AM   #9
Cigar Minnow

Thanks a lot for the answers. I plan on getting a permit, just wanted to know how difficult it will be.
CrackerACracker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2016, 08:45 AM   #10
Sailfish

Default No permits to damage repair after Hurricane Ivan

Quote:
Originally Posted by goheel View Post
My house has a broken dock. It was that way when I bought it. Do I need a permit to rebuild the dock. Also, how would I know how long was the dock permitted originally?
I believe the Florida government allowed repairs to docks damaged by Ivan without permits ?

If so, and your dock was damaged by Ivan ;-), I think you can repair it w/o permits?

Tom

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in