opinions on quantum smoke - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > General Discussion

Old 07-07-2013, 02:16 PM   #1
Mingo

Default opinions on quantum smoke

How do you guys who own one like it? Are they durable and does water not get into the gears when cleaning them off? Just worried if I got one and took it on the kayak thatit may get splashed and saltwater may get to the gears with it being so open.
Wad Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2013, 03:07 PM   #2
Spec-yakular!
Grouper

My buddy has one and he loves it! But he uses his for bass fishing! I personaly think that reel is a lil to expensive for fishing a kayak but thats just me! I have 3 penn battles 2dozen 2000s and a 3000 and i love them! Cant beat them for the price plus they are all sealed which is a big plus when kayak fishing! I have dumped mine a few times and have never had any issues with them!
Old 07-07-2013, 03:09 PM   #3
Spec-yakular!
Grouper

2 2000s not 2 dozen! Lol
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2013, 03:50 PM   #4
Sailfish

I had the smoke 30 and thought it poorly managed braided line as compared to my stradics and diawa ballistic. I also have 2 quantum EXOs and I like them better than the smoke. They are very light and perfom well but you have to keep tabs on the drag knobs. They will loosen themselves.

I have owned the following super lightweight reels and here is how I rate them from best to worst.

1. Stradic ci4 - great line management and drag. Some say they will flex on a big fish but I have yet to feel mine flex.

2. quantum exo - more rigid than the ci4 and has a good drag and adequate line management. I have caught a ton of fish on them but I think the ci4 is a better reel.

3. quantum smoke - the line management was not good in my opinion
and the reel flexed on a 5 lb trout. I was not impressed with the reel and would not buy one. In my opinion the ci4 is a much better reel.

Best value is the daiwa procyon. They are not as light as the exo or ci4 but they are very smooth, rugged, and have a great drag system. You can buy them on ebay regulary for $90 or less.
dabutcher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2013, 04:29 PM   #5
White Marlin

What do you mean by "line management" and "flex"? I use spinning reels exclusively. I have used reels from $15 to $150 and have never seen any difference in line management... Never had any except the cheapest with any flex. I've landed 70lb fish on a $50 5000 series with no flex... please explain. Not being a smart *ss, just trying to learn something here. :-)
NoMoSurf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2013, 04:39 PM   #6
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabutcher View Post
In my opinion the ci4 is a much better reel.
With respect to dabutcher's experience...mine was just the opposite. I had the Stadic Ci4, then tried the Smoke 30. Sold the Stradic. Can't give you a measurable reason why...just the sound and feel of the Carbon Infused body I think. I like the look and feel of the metal body on the smoke and hope that they'll continue to improve it. The salt water version will probably take care of my corrosion concerns. I often wished they made a 5000 series, just because it's such a versatile size. I was fishing a hybrid line called "Black Widow" and never tried the reel with braid.

Some other options I've used in this size range are the Shimano Sahara 2000 and 2500, Penn 430SSg, Daiwa 1600 ss and Penn Conquer 2000. All were good reels...I liked the metal foot on the Saharas, graphite body and overall durability on the SSg, the super small size of the 1600 and the unbelievable drag system on the Conquer.

All that said, I landed my personal best trout last year on the Smoke.

Pompano Joe

"I fish and talk about Jesus"

Check out my reel repair & custom shop on Facebook @ Pompano Joe's Reel Works
Pompano Joe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2013, 04:58 PM   #7
Sailfish

The ci4 and smoke frames are made from carbon fiber which is not as rigid as aluminum. The carbon fiber makes for a very light reel but the frame can flex under a heavy load. I doubt the frame would ever break but it is not a good feeling to feel the frame flex when you are fighting a big fish. The smoke flexed with the first trout I hooked on it. I don't think a trout should be able to flex any reel. I have caught some pretty big reds on my ci4 and have never felt it flex.

Line management for me refers to how evenly the reel disperses line on the spool and how it manages line twist. Wind knots are not a problem with mono or heavier braid. However, 10 lb braid can get knotted up easily. A reel that does not manage line well can put a lot of wind knots in 10 lb braid. I experienced more wind knots using the smoke than any other reel I've ever used. Wind knots have never been a problem on my ci4s or daiwas.
Old 07-07-2013, 05:11 PM   #8
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pompano Joe View Post
With respect to dabutcher's experience...mine was just the opposite. I had the Stadic Ci4, then tried the Smoke 30. Sold the Stradic. Can't give you a measurable reason why...just the sound and feel of the Carbon Infused body I think. I like the look and feel of the metal body on the smoke and hope that they'll continue to improve it. The salt water version will probably take care of my corrosion concerns. I often wished they made a 5000 series, just because it's such a versatile size. I was fishing a hybrid line called "Black Widow" and never tried the reel with braid.

Some other options I've used in this size range are the Shimano Sahara 2000 and 2500, Penn 430SSg, Daiwa 1600 ss and Penn Conquer 2000. All were good reels...I liked the metal foot on the Saharas, graphite body and overall durability on the SSg, the super small size of the 1600 and the unbelievable drag system on the Conquer.

All that said, I landed my personal best trout last year on the Smoke.
I did not know that the Smoke had a metal frame. Perhaps I felt something other than flex when I was fighting that big trout. My biggest problem with the reel was the numerous wind knots I encountered with the reel in a short period of time. The reel was spooled with 10 lb Jerry Brown braid. Perhaps the brand of line caused the line twists. I rarely experience line twist with power pro slick 8 or spider wire ultra cast.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:13 AM   #9
Sailfish

I had the same wind-knot experience with the Okuma Trio and braid. I thought the reel was a great idea and looked really cool, but just couldn't fish with it.

The metal body and hybrid bearings are what sold me on the Smoke. Think I'll give the salt-water version or maybe the Exo a try.

Pompano Joe

"I fish and talk about Jesus"

Check out my reel repair & custom shop on Facebook @ Pompano Joe's Reel Works
Pompano Joe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2013, 02:04 PM   #10
Mingo

LOVE my Smoke 25!
Smitty81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in