Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

Ongoing Disaster in the Gulf

4K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  jim t 
#1 ·
#4 ·
I witnessed a large mat of oil washing ashore behind the Whale's Tail in Destin around 11:30 am today. I'll post some pics here tomorrow. It was a concentrated area but was clearly washing ashore. This was the first I have seen in 6-7 months. The sad part was that no one out on the beach was overly alarmed as if the oil has become an accepted part of life here.

#5 ·
yea I hate to say it but this area is fucked.........

its GOING to be a way of life from here on out, read todays newspaper, when the water starts warming again its going to be back, and will prob cycle like this for tens of years,

why you think BP came up with this final payment business?

they were hoping most of the local imbred morons would sign off on all rights down the line because they knew it wasnt going away anytime soon,

sad part is they were right, wave a little cash in front of the "imbred/morons" and there was a line aroung the block ready to sign off.

just my $.02

#9 · (Edited)
Best part was he did it twice!

One time, I had a guy laugh at me saying, there's no " b" in dumbass, dumass. All I could really do was walk away.

So anyway dumbass, it's algae, not oil.

By the way not everyone can wait five years on a legal action, and then in the end give the lawyer 40% plus expenses. Some people need the money now. I would hazard a guess to say that most people who were truly affected by the spill, be it businesses or otherwise fall into this category. Super job insulting people who are suffering. No company is going to settle with you unless you waive your subrogation rights, or in some other way ensure that you cannot sue them in the future, period. By your insinuation I can only assume you are not a local, so why don't you do us all a favor and go back to wherever the f@#k you came from. If you are local, just leave.

I guess they could call J.G. Wentworth? How does it go ...877cashnow

#12 · (Edited)
Awww. Gump why did you delete your post? Probably because you were getting as ticked as I was.

put down the red bull and relax.......

I was merely quoting last months time magazine article that described several conversations between BP claims reps and locals, it was really focused on south LA, MS, AL,.... but we all know we fall under south AL. Several described talking/working with the locals as "iNbred morons" that came out of the woodwork looking for a handout, and they were instructed to assess the situation and for lack of a better term "buy-off" said claim for as little as possible, which most claimed wasn't very hard.

And just so you know I AM one of the morons, and am truly disgusted with the current state of things, I feel as if our whole way of life, whether it be for work, or for fun is going to suffer, I'm not so quick to put a price on that....To be honest when all this went down I changed gears on my charter buiz, started taking sunset cruises, dolphin trips, shuttles to the beach, ANYTHING TO SURVIVE. But I did see alot from upclose, closer than most as we ran a VOO boat, and I saw the lack of real concern for the area, it was pretty much "sweep it under the carpet", and when locals showed concern for this, we all got canned and were replaced with boats from LA.

I genuinely give a shit about this area, I just not ready to negotiate for my future just yet,
but to each his own

#17 ·
hahaha...my wife dale said there should be some kind of breathalizer for posting...hope all is well jeff...

#18 ·
we went to the edge last sat. and ran across many lines of suspect colors...orange, bronze looking lines...we stopped and felt it and we concluded it was not an oil by-product...by the way it smelled in our fingers and it's consistency...there was a lot of it for sure...

#19 ·
I don't know why everyone is so upset. All the BP ads say they are "making it right". As far as the drilling defacto moratorium goes.....Don't blame Obama blame BP. They are the ones who dirtied up our Gulf, pissed on us, and screwed the oil companies who were drilling safe. I have nothing but contempt for BP. I wonder why some of the Shells and Chevrons didn't put some "get even" on BP?? Sometimes a good asswhippen is better than anything the govt. can do.

#21 ·
OK One more time, sorta. Yes, the spill was bad. Very bad. Yes, you can go on and on about that. Yes, I wish it never happened. I still stand by what I said to begin with. Some of the critical decisions were budget/deadline driven. That, in my opinion was the root cause to the distaster. The economy was flat then as it is now. Decisions were made on that basis I would have to bet. And yes, those same decisions 99 out of 100 times were OK. This time, no, they weren't. Things went wrong, catastrophicially.

What bothers me is that soooo many people think, "BP did it on purpose". Doesn't that sumise most responses? Correct me if I am wrong, but, isn't that the truth? "The contracted rig that BP had blew out on purpose because BP don't give a shit".

BP could have walked away and said "so....sue me" They didn't. They may be lagging behind settleing. But, our Gubberment insisted on settleing the claim losses. Far as I know, BP contracted crews are still working to restore the ecosystem.

I find it hilarious about the planes still spraying dispersant. Really? Or how bout the oil slick last weekend? You know, the green one offshore that wound up being algae? How bout that? Sure, I know there is still tarballs around. But, are you enjoying the gasoline price spike? I'm not. So many things are interlaced. It's sooo much more complicated. Most folks are hypocrytes. Whether they know it or not. Take a look around. How much do you depend on oil or gas? Seriously. How much? It is no excuse for the spill, I know that. Much as you will hate to admit, you deeply depend on oil and gas. Probably more than you care to admit. Everyone want the benefits, nobody wants the risk. Sorry guys, risk is part of the process. Yep, I feel the spill could have been avoided. I go back to what I said to start with, time/budget caused this spill. But, each and every one of you deeply depend on oil and gas every minute of every day. Yeah, it sucks, but it is what it is.

Things will eventually go back to normal. They will, wait and see. just hope and pray the industry learns from the mistakes made. Because, like it or not, that's about the best you can do. But seriously, each and evey one of you deeply depend on oil and gas. Probably way more than you know. Sorry, that's just the way it is. We deliver, you use. At least try to understand just how much you use and rely on the products. If you really look into it, you'd be shocked...

#23 · (Edited)
Wade,

You are passionate about oil/gas production, I am passionate about airline/union issues.

I am learning slowly that there many, many others that don't feel the same way I do.

A BASIC American wants CHEAP and doesn't really care how it happens.

But SAFER can be better if more costly with regard to oil/gas. That happens after mistakes.

Obama had his moratorium, now stalling permits. We can disagree, but I'd say they are waiting for a system to prevent the last failure. Once that new system is in place, permits will be granted. It's a dance, right now Obama is costing jobs, by demanding safety. Reading oil "blogs", I think they are close to a solution that will cost $ but satisfy both sides.

We got lucky on the ecosystem this time. Especially in the BIGGEST biomass filter system in North America (the Mississippi Delta)

I am happy that Obama is protecting that.

If there was a 95% chance that Deepwater Horizon would not blow up before, I'm willing to spend $$$ in gas prices to raise that to 99% next time.

Jim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.