Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

North Alabama Tornados

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Buckyt 
#1 ·
We spent Wed night hunkered down at our home on Lake Weiss. We were lucky when a tornado came within 1/2 mile of our house. I could see the lightening just across the lake. It was dark, so we couldn't see the funnel cloud. Our neighborhood was spared all but a 7-10 day power outage. That gave us a good reason to come to our condo on Terry Cove, so now we have lights, hot water, tv, etc.
I sure feel sorry for the thousands of people who were not as lucky!

#2 ·
I have a lot of friends and family in the Birmingham area that were extremely lucky. My dad's house was spared by about 100yds. Several people on his street were injured and one woman was killed.

We should keep all those affected by this in our thoughts. There is a long, hard road ahead.

#4 ·
Buckyt,

Glad to see you made it. I didn't have any damage but the big one that hit Tuscaloosa and Birmingham passed about a mile from my house. I was as scared as I've ever been after watching it on TV in Tuscaloosa and Birmingham then realizing that monster was headed towards my children. Being in a basement meant nothing to that tornado. I moved our cars inside the basement and we hid between our van and the concrete wall. I was watching out of the basement door and could see a bright sky looking towards Pell City then it got really still and a there was just a very fine mist in the air. The bright spot went away for about a minute or two then the I could see the bright spot came back. After the strom past it was not safe to be outside because of the debris falling from the sky. We found several items with Tuscaloosa addresses.

#5 ·
We visited an old classmate from high school (class of 1960 Gadsden High). His house was destroyed with him in a closet. It was unbelievable that he survived. He got off his tractor when we found him, smiled, and said "life goes on"!
We played golf this morning in Centre, Al. and we found shingles and tar paper all over the course. We believe it came from the Goshen Community near Piedmont where my classmate lived about 10 miles away.
One of my golf buddies said a lady in Summerville, Ga found a cd in a case with an address and tp# for a family in Tuscaloosa. She called the family and learned that their house had been destroyed. That has to be over 150 miles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.