NEW RED SNAPPER BASE LINES THIS YEAR - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > General Discussion
Register Fishing Photos FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Advertise

Old 10-24-2009, 11:11 AM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default NEW RED SNAPPER BASE LINES THIS YEAR

:hotsunI think I read somewhere there suppose to be setting new Snapper baselines this year to include artifical reefs? Has anyone else heard this? I believe i remeber it stating they were using 2002 snapper counts to set the new limits?is this true?and if so where can I reveiw there findings?
TANNED FAT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2009, 01:53 PM   #2
Snapper

Default RE: NEW RED SNAPPER BASE LINES THIS YEAR

I hope and pray it is true Haven't read this however.
Capt.Eugene is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2009, 10:47 PM   #3
Grouper

I know that in one of the last meetings a Orange Beach Captain I think Brian on the gulf rebel asked the question. "Why is it that you dont count snapper that are on artificial reefs and oil rigs when you consider how many are out there BUT you count them when we catch them off of artificial reefs and oil rigs it dont make since".
Fairwaterfishing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2009, 10:54 PM   #4
Snapper

Tom

I have been asking that for years. that has always ticked me off

Just like when they blow up a rig why can't you pick the fish up their dead and not counted.
Old 10-25-2009, 12:10 AM   #5
Grouper

Because we would all start blowing up oil rigs!
Fairwaterfishing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2009, 12:16 AM   #6
Snapper

You mite LOL :moon
Old 10-25-2009, 11:54 AM   #7
Mingo

There is no new baseline for the gulf red snapper fishery. We ares till under the same rebuilding plan that proposes the red snapper fishery to be no longer overfished or undergoing overfishing by the year 2032. If the mayan calender is correct and some who believe it are correct, we will never see that since the world will end on dec 2012, another story.

There has been a rumor, started after the last sedar update this past Aug by some in the commercial IFQ fishery and their new org, that the commercial sector was going to get an addtional 1 to 2 million pounds of TAC for 2010. I said then and will say again now, that is not going to happen as it can't under the current regulatory system. I hope some of the commercial guys didn't go out and borrow money on an increase in TAC.

According to crabtree, we are estimated to have harvested 4.2 million pounds of red snapper during the 75 day season. The current plan does not allow for reductions of quota, but it does allow for reducing the next season to attempt to stay within the 2.45 million pound quota for 2010. Since the council took no action at their meeting last week to modify the opening date, the rec red snapper season will open on June 1, 2010. The length of the season will be much shorter than 75 days as anyone who knows simple math can calculate on their own. If 4.2 million was harvested in 75 days, this =s 56,000 lbs/day. 56,000 lbs per day divided into 2.45 million lbs =s 43.75 days. Now this is very simple and the NMFS and crabtree don't know simple so you can bet the season will be somewhat less than 44 days. I bet we see between 3 and 4 weeks of a season.

Now on top of this, there will be no new data coming out to affect any numbers anytime soon. The current MRIP for-hire logbook pilot study might, I say might, be ready to be started by June 1. This pilot will run for a year and hopefully will get funded for 2 or 3 years, which is necessary to run such a pilot before it will or will not become the new data system. Best scenario is for the pilot to be adopted as a the new data system, lets say, maybe by 2013, this is after the next full red snapper sedar stock assessment so the next red snapper stock assessment will be based on the current data system. Now once the new data system is in place, lets assume 2013 it will begin to collect data and then that data will begin to be used by 2014. Now the above scenario is optimistic so don't be surprised if the years are moved forward to 2014, 15, 16.

The above is reality and based on history and the current management system. Assumptions are that the logbook system will have 100% compliance and all data is validated and no correction factors will have to be made. Anything less than 100% compliance means the nmfs will have to create estimates for those who don't comply thus increasing the correction factor which could mean the new data system may not be any better than whata we have now. For any new data system to be better than what we have there has to be compliance, there has to be full cooperation, and everyone must play, includiing state licensed vessels who fish federally managed species and who the feds have no control with permits.

Not pretty, not be alarmist, just laying out the real world of federal data programs, pilots, and participation from the people. For any data system to work, a host of issues must change, and not just among a few, but by all. Period.
bob II is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2009, 12:12 PM   #8
Kim
Blue Marlin

Any data collection system put in place will still be abused by people. Charter boats want to go to the commercial sector to get away from the set season. Plus they will probably benefit from regulation changes like the last grouper change. Commercial guys got a higher TAC and recreational angles got a reduction on bag limit.

Kim
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in