New Ala.Catfish Law - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > General Discussion

Old 12-18-2009, 10:18 AM   #1
Grouper

Default New Ala.Catfish Law

I work in food service and we got this from our supplier yesterday. Don't know if anybody cares but I thought it was interesting to say the least...........Check out your favorite fish house in ala. see what thier throwin at you. Maybe they should do this with some of the saltwater fish so at least you'd know where your grouper filet came from....

<P dir=ltr><P dir=ltr>If you sell portioned catfish, you must start POSTING the country of origin for the product you are serving. For example "Today's Catfish is proudly brought to you today from the country of CHINA" <P dir=ltr><P dir=ltr>This applies to buffets, menu's, patient trays, etc. Unless they you are selling it in bulk, you MUST post the country of origin. Some people are posting it right on their menu, some are putting out signs. Technically if you are serving patient trays, then a note needs to be placed on every tray. <P dir=ltr><P dir=ltr>The front page of these 3 attached pages lists how the facility will be sited in the event they are inspected and the country of origin is not posted. This is the actual info sheet and law provided by the health inspector to one of our units just this week.<P dir=ltr>1st time receive a NOTICE OF VIOLATION on inspection report<P dir=ltr>2nd time will receive a second NOTICE OF VIOLATION on inspection report<P dir=ltr>3rd time, they WILL BE FINED. <P dir=ltr>The back 2 pages includes the actual law itself if anyone would like to read it.<P dir=ltr><P dir=ltr>The inspector told me that he just learned about it yesterday and that most of the locations he has visited had no idea that the law had even gone into affect. He is handing this info out to them as a heads up and not citing them initially. This is the way <U>he</U> is handling it. Technically, they are supposed to issue the notice immediately. <P dir=ltr><P dir=ltr>The reason for this is an extension of the labeling laws passed on produce. The goal is to monitor the antibiotic levels in Catfish being served to the public. The federal law dictates no more than 5 parts/billion. The Alabama law dictates no more than 1part/billion.

J.Sharit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2009, 10:48 AM   #2
Ruby Red Lip

Default RE: New Ala.Catfish Law

A couple of years ago I heard a guy speak in MS about the problems with imported asian catfish and how that has been affecting the US catfish market. He also showed a video on how the asian catfish are raised. That is some SICK stuff. The rivers that the asian catfish are taken from are smack dab in the middle of some of the poorest villages and the sanitary conditions are disturbing. As for me, I'll only order fish from a establishment is it has a seal showing US farm raised catfish!
jcooper85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2009, 11:08 AM   #3
Sailfish

Default RE: New Ala.Catfish Law

There are also alot of places that are disingenious in the labeling that sell "Grouper" meals that are actually tillapia. They word the description in ways that don't come right out and say it, but there are several buzzwords to watch out for, things like "inspired" or "encrusted".....

Kudos to the government for actually passing a law that benefits the consumer. Only problem is the lack of enforcement (as admitted in the original post)

Another thing most businesses are not aware of is the red flag requirements. Red Flag is a program that supposedly protects against identity theft. Federal laws that dictate it. Very few have even heard of it, yet all businesses have to abide by it.....

So many laws.... Makes my head spin!
angus_cow_doctor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in