Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

Need advice

1K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  FreddieMac 
#1 ·
I hope this message is appropriate for your general forum. I just confirmed a vacation down in Perdido Key at the end of the month. I have been bass, sac-a-lait and cat fishing all my life. I have never dipped a bait in saltwater.

I have decided to give surf fishing a try. I am going to bring my MH worm rod and my light action crappie rod. I have watched a few videos on surf fishing and bought some artificial gulp shrimp. Those rods and reels are about what I am seeing in some of the surf videos for Perdido Key/Pensacola.

What advice can you give a complete neophyte for surf fishing. I have no illusions of catching massive fish or many giving my inexperience, but I have 7 days to try and catch just one fish! Any advice?

Also, I am confused as to what fishing license I need as an out of state resident. Would a saltwater license cover surf fishing or an inland license?

#2 ·
For your light rod get some pompano jigs at a local bait shop and toss into holes while waiting for the other poles to get hit. Bright swim baits or spoons can get you spanish, bluefish and ladyfish if you just want to have some fun.

The MH rod will be ok to cast baits into the surf but a cheap long rod will help you get distance. I would buy fresh shrimp from Maria's or Joe Patty and peel them and use for bait. It is better than frozen IMO. I would have one pole with double dropper pompano rig on it and one pole I would fish a carolina rig.

Go to the surf fishing section here and read lots of reports to glean the info you seek. Reading the surf is a great thread to get familiar with as well.

Cut bait can get you into some small sharks as well.

#3 ·
first license requirements. If you fish in the bay or gulf , you will need a salt water license. There are different types, just get a short term 1-7 days that that will work. Decide if you will be fishing in Fl or AL. As long as you fish water that is salt or brackish, a salt water license will be all you need.
Around the end of this month, Spanish should be accessible from shore. I am assuming at least one of the poles will be a spinner. Spanish range from 1-3 # normally. Sometimes you might hook up with a King and the go a lot bigger. Both Spanish and kings will be caught throwing lures, not using bait on the bottom. Read the posts by Chris V for up to date info on what is being caught and/or Stop by Sams in Al to talk to him. Keep and eye out on theis site and the gulf coast fishing connection for people offering to share rides. Easy way to get out with experienced fisherman and a reduce cost. People chip in for gas , bait and oil. Everyone is expected to share in the fish and the cleanup. good luck should be a nice time of the year.

#4 ·
first license requirements. If you fish in the bay or gulf , you will need a salt water license. There are different types, just get a short term 1-7 days that that will work. Decide if you will be fishing in Fl or AL. As long as you fish water that is salt or brackish, a salt water license will be all you need.
Thanks, that is what I needed to know. I will stay in florida by my hotel.

Around the end of this month, Spanish should be accessible from shore. I am assuming at least one of the poles will be a spinner. Spanish range from 1-3 # normally. Sometimes you might hook up with a King and the go a lot bigger. Both Spanish and kings will be caught throwing lures, not using bait on the bottom. Read the posts by Chris V for up to date info on what is being caught and/or Stop by Sams in Al to talk to him. Keep and eye out on theis site and the gulf coast fishing connection for people offering to share rides. Easy way to get out with experienced fisherman and a reduce cost. People chip in for gas , bait and oil. Everyone is expected to share in the fish and the cleanup. good luck should be a nice time of the year.
My MH bass rod is a baitcaster and my light crappie rod is a spincaster. I grew up throwing baitcasters like my dad taught me. I find the spincaster a bit clunky, but love to light fish for panfish when I go camping.

My Dad has a lot of experience red fishing the brackish waters in south Louisiana. He helped me pack a few things in a small tackle box. I have some spinner baits, a few shad swimbaits, a bunch of crankbaits and rattle traps. I also have some artificial gulp shrimp and some 1/4 live target artificial shrimp. Not sure how much I will use any of it, but you never know what will work when going to a new area.

Thanks I will be monitoring this board a lot the next couple of weeks.

#9 ·
Just going to put some quick $.02 in here.... If you'll be staying on and fishing perdido key... some tricks to increase your possibility of hooking up.
Find some good spots with breaks between the sandbars on the beach and you can set up for those pompano, southern kingfish, etc... get you a couple 1 1/2" pvc spikes to set your "surf" rods up in for surf fishing (and to keep the others rods out of the sand), then you can take another rod with a swim bait / soft plastics or silver spoon and do some casting around for bluefish, Spanish, maybe some flounder, etc....
Best chances for catching will be EARLY AM, and late afternoon.
Just get out there and have some fun! But, if you get to having a hard time catching anything... you can stop by Sams Stop and Shop on Canal Rd in OB and bug Chris for any word on whats hot that week and where / how to catch them. FYI- The Pomp Stomp Tourney is all April month long- Check it out!

#10 ·
Cool, good information. I think I may do that, I have some catfish pole holders, but I think they will not work as well in sand. I may go to home depot and grab some pvc to make a sand spike.

Just paid for my 7 day salt fishing license in Florida. Got two weeks to figure it all out.

#12 · (Edited)
When fishing the beach, I believe you'll do better with pearl whites, bone, and chartreuse color soft plastic swimbaits. Chris has done well with the Tsunami softbaits and Unfair Lures Rip-N-Slash in the summer.
On the bayside new-penny, (again) chartreuse, maybe some watermelon or pumpkin colors.... as in Berkley Gulp, Matrix Shad, Redfish Magic... and I have even had success with Strike King Rage Tail and Coffee Tubes (mostly in the spring and late fall when things slow down).... as I've said before, you'll find so many similarities in techniques and baits used for bass fishing are similar to the inshore fisheries. :)
I'm sure more suggestions will follow from our other more talented surf and inshore members.

#13 ·
Good to know, I have some really nice white shad swimmers that kill bass when most of my other baits do not work. Part of the fun of doing this is learning something completely new. I will consider it a fun success of I catch one fish in the 7 days. Probably would not feel the same on an bass fishing trip. Thanks for the advice..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.