• 5 Post By MoganMan
  • 2 Post By Flounderpounder
  • 1 Post By Katartizo
  • 1 Post By Smarty

Old 05-16-2014, 11:38 AM   #1
Yakadoodledo
Snapper

Default Name calling...really

Originally the below post was going to be a response to another thread that is on the forum. It takes all different types of people to make up the world. And no, I don't think we can make this a perfect world! I do believe that day will come. However this is not meant to be religious or political. Unfortunately, someone will try to categorize it as one or the other. Now that I think about it, since my opinions and thoughts are influenced by my religion and my politics, it definitely is religious and political! Still, this is common sense stuff that works no matter what your religious or political beliefs are.
My goal is simple:
You have something to say, I have something to say and he/she has something to say. If we can keep from resorting to name calling, we will hear more! If someone says "listen you ignorant ....." That is all I will hear the rest of the conversation. I have to leave and start all over if I hope to learn anything.
It used to be if I read something like this or heard someone say what I am below, I would get mad. When I noticed it didn't make everyone mad, I realized, wow, it might really be me that has a problem! Anyway, here we go.....

Resorting to name calling? Why? Are there no words that can explain an idea?
I think most of us have moved beyond the dem/rep titles meaning anything. The only difference I see between the two parties, is they have different approaches to reach same goal. Goal - have government in charge of everything.
They resort to name calling while doing exactly what they are accusing the other party of doing.
I love to debate, however, when you choose to debate you should at least try to be civil. I learned long ago that both or all sides have something to offer. I can learn from dems, rep, liberals, and Tea Party among others.
I heard a quote once that went, "you can't hear with your mouth open" or something like that. Meaning, shut up and listen sometime! Anyone that thinks they know it all, is only fooling themselves. Generally, everyone else doesn't hold such a high regard for a know-it-all. While that person may actually know a lot, when we choose to alienate everyone else with our genius, we sacrifice our integrity for a warm and fuzzy feeling about ourself!
I have seen some really good ideas from folks on this forum. I have also seen what looks like someone hanging on by a thread to a weak and nowadays corrupt concept. It is sad to see folks that are stuck in a position just because their pride will not allow them to admit they or whoever they are supporting is wrong.
There are always going to be multiple sides to every idea/concept and debate. When starting a debate it might help to explain what the outcome you would like to see is, before anything else.
I would imagine most of us here are more apt to listen to someone's opinion if they are being civil. When you turn the news on, and it doesn't matter who it is reporting, there are very few times that at some point in the article, someone isn't going to resort to name calling in some form or another.
The "people", us, are going to follow the lead of our leaders. Not always, but it is easier to mimic, than to study for ourselves. It is just amazing that what one side calls progress, the other side says is corruption.
I believe our Founding Fathers intended to keep government small and out of our personal life. You may not believe that, and I am ok with that. We have reached a place that we can't say or do things because somebody is going to take offense with it. For many years we have been losing our freedoms, slowly but intentionally.
We the people, are finally waking up. There is so much corruption, from all parties, we are seeing the people we have put in charge be tempted and usually they can't resist. I know there are plenty of officials that don't fall in to this trap. I don't make blanket statements, generally.
No matter what your stance is, just try being civil. If someone questions your beliefs or opinions, that is an opportunity to explain, it's not always an attack. Use that opening to inform. You may not change someone's mind, but your integrity was not damaged. I would rather know why someone disagrees with me on something than to X out saying to myself " I showed them".
Ignorance is dangerous, thinking you know everything is ridiculous!
I do not intend to judge, flame, slam, or rebuke any specific person in this post. I'm 100% sure I am guilty of not heeding these suggestions at sometime or another!
I come here, and go to other sites, to learn. I would surely find something else to do if I wasn't learning something here. Thanks for posting all sides!
Keep our leaders in your prayers or thoughts. Hope for recovery of our freedoms. Say thank you to someone, respect others right to have a different opinion than you do.
Admit when you are wrong. Admitting we are wrong once leads to us saying it more often. Then we reach a point we realize it is often times better to listen than to speak. The tongue is hard if not impossible to control. Most of us on this forum are old enough/experienced enough to know most of the time we get in trouble, it is because of something we said, not something we did. I know you married guys know what I am talking about! Remember to think before speaking. Ask yourself, would I want to have someone say to me what I am about to say? Even more importantly, ask yourself, would I listen to someone else that said what I am about to say! How many times have we allowed someone to cause our blood pressure to rise? How many times have we wasted our breath trying to "educate" someone that is not open to learn of another side to the story? Arguing and debating are not the same.

Of course, I could be wrong about everything I've said here today!
Have an awesome life,
Joe

P.S. I used to be negative about everything. It didn't matter if I believed the exact same way as the other person. I always had to play the "devils advocate". When I stopped thinking that way, i really started learning/hearing what was being said!
Ben Carson For President!!! Run Ben Run!!
---------------/------------/-----------/----------/---------/
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain
Katartizo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2014, 12:46 PM   #2
Endangered Species
Mingo

I agree with everything you said, this is a discussion forum. People take things too personally.
My prayers are with you on the upcoming transplant and your recovery.
Hope to see you on the water soon and meet you personally. Your faith is to be admired, we are extremely blessed.
Old 05-16-2014, 12:56 PM   #3
Grouper

The weak minded turn to name calling
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2014, 01:50 PM   #4
White Marlin

Well said! Intellectually it's far easier to pigeon hole someone (and easier to do that by name calling) than to add your opinion, hopefully backed up by reason and facts. It never ceases to amaze me that folks on one side or the other somehow think they are going to get someone to side (vote, whatever) with them with those tactics. If anything it does just the opposite....LOL. I rarely go to the religion or political forums because they are way to often nothing more than denigrating those with differing opinions. We are ALL Americans first. We should remember that more often. My brother and uncle gave their lives for this country. Sometimes I wonder if was really worth it.
MoganMan and Katartizo like this.

Last edited by Flounderpounder; 05-16-2014 at 01:52 PM.
Flounderpounder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2014, 03:42 PM   #5
Yakadoodledo
Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flounderpounder View Post
Well said! Intellectually it's far easier to pigeon hole someone (and easier to do that by name calling) than to add your opinion, hopefully backed up by reason and facts. It never ceases to amaze me that folks on one side or the other somehow think they are going to get someone to side (vote, whatever) with them with those tactics. If anything it does just the opposite....LOL. I rarely go to the religion or political forums because they are way to often nothing more than denigrating those with differing opinions. We are ALL Americans first. We should remember that more often. My brother and uncle gave their lives for this country. Sometimes I wonder if was really worth it.
I am sorry you have had the experiences on the religion forum especially. Most of the guys on here seem to be sincere and level headed. However, we all have bad days! As far as the political forum goes, seems it is every man/woman for themselves sometimes. I find politics to be very interesting even though it boils down to manipulation and control these days. That is only my opinion based on years of self study of our history and ancient studies also. Again, if we can agree to disagree we can learn from both/all sides. I think ultimately we all want freedom to do and say as we wish, as long as no one is hurt. Today it has become as long as no one thinks they are hurt. Yes, there are some that just want to get what they can from the government (us) without having to do anything. That attitude is destruction for all. It must be overcome through peaceful and helpful means within our country. It can be done, but we have to remember we didn't get where we are overnight and a solution won't happen overnight. That's all I have to say about that!
As far as your brother and uncle go, NEVER doubt their service. I tell every uniformed service person I come in contact with thank you. Even if we don't agree with what our government is doing with our brothers and sisters that are serving our country, the individuals are our protectors. Anyone that doesn't believe that should ask themselves what if we didn't have them. Yeah, it would be ugly. This is beyond a doubt the best country in the world! Some may want to argue that point, but if they still live here....I'm not going to listen to their nonsense. Never again doubt was it worth it. That kind of doubt will tear you up.
Please understand that as a Christian, most of us believe God, family, country in that order. Some Christians may think otherwise. For me and my family.....
I wish you had not been treated rudely on your visits to the religion forum, because I am telling you there are some good guys/ladies on there. People that have never met me have taken me fishing, offered to help and just plain given support. If you feel like it is possible for people to change, give it another shot some time. They have some really good conversations and offer a lot of encouragement.
Thanks for reading the post and offering your input. I learned something, and hopefully my brothers and sisters in Christ have heard something too.
Remember even tho we are Christians, we are still only men/women. We are going to do stupid stuff. Sometimes I do stupid stuff a couple times a day. When I learn how stupid it was, I always ask for forgiveness and do my best to not repeat the stupidness. Oh yeah, humiliation will help you be an overcomer. If you have to be constantly asking for forgiveness, no matter how hard headed you are, eventually you will get tired of asking! If your heart is right, you will stop doing that stupid stuff and move on to the next stupid stuff to overcome.
Peace and have a great weekend!
Joe
Flounderpounder likes this.
Ben Carson For President!!! Run Ben Run!!
---------------/------------/-----------/----------/---------/
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain
Katartizo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2014, 06:14 AM   #6
White Marlin

From my own personal experience it is so easy to find ones self caught up in having a negative outlook. Just like myself in the past hopefully at some point people realize they've been consumed by the negativity and choose to make a change for the better. Having an open mind and staying positive has it's benefits and the response you'll get from others almost always proves to be beneficial in some form or another. Over the years every person I've met from here have been good trustworthy and honest individuals. I for one am very glad to be a long time member here and have learned a lot from so many. Big thanks to PFF and all of it's good folks here
MoganMan likes this.
Smarty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in