motor maintenance info help - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > General Discussion
Register Fishing Photos FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Advertise

Old 10-27-2009, 05:04 PM   #1
Grouper

Default motor maintenance info help

some one wants to trade me a 20 mako for my project jeep. he said the only maintenance needed on the motor is the carbs cleaned. it starts fine but wont stay running, i know this could be several other problems as well.

my question is, on a 1994 200 hp yamaha saltwater series what would the guestamated cost be for:

cleaning carbs, chainging foot oil, and other regular maintenance ???

thanks for any input,

Erik
FISHBOXFULL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2009, 07:14 PM   #2
SEEIN' SPOTS
Ruby Red Lip

Default RE: motor maintenance info help

First of all, need to make sure that there is no rot going on with the mako, in the transom, or decking. Some makes have wood for transoms and parts of the deck. Stand on the motor skegs and bounce a little bit to see if the transom shakes, if so could be water damage and an expensive fix. Motor not running could mean many things, would need to be check out by a mechanic, carbs could be a problem, but if that's not it then your back to square one and more money. You can give us a call and we could look at it for you, but without physically testing the motor, can't give you and honest answer.
mjfishin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2009, 07:33 PM   #3
Blue Marlin

LIke stated above, check the transom by knocking on it pretty hard and if its soft or sounds different walk away. Next get a compression gauage and check the compression. Pull all the plugs out and hook the hose up to the foot and check every cylinder. All of them should be within 10 pounds. 120 on all is good, 120 100 120 no good. If its got good compression and the transom is solid then last i would check the foot oil. Just bring a flat head with you and pull the bottom screw out of the foot and it has a magnet on it, check it for metal and just look at the oil, if its white it has water in it and something is wrong. If everything checks out then do it if thats what you want. Good luck and if you need someone to do this for you shoot me a pm.
Pinksnappertrapper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2009, 09:54 PM   #4
Grouper

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=smalltxt vAlign=top><SPAN id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__c tl4_lblFullMessage>thanks for the input on the boat here is what I have been told.

"the floor was cut out, rebuilt it out of 3/4" nadacore, rebuilt the stringers out of nadacore, put a new aluminum 50 gallon fuel tank in,all new wiring. The transom did not need any work it was a solid as it was brand new. I redone the gel coat on the interior and exterior and then painted the outside with fighting lady yellow and the interior with white. I painted the boat with two part epoxy marine paint (Interlux). When I installed the console I glassed it in instead of screwing it down therefore, there is a little bit of separation between the console and floor on the right rear side. Structurally there is nothing wrong the console just needs to be screwed down all the way around. It is a 1979 20' Mako that was completely restored in 2008, it has a 1994 yamaha 200hpsalt-water series engine. The boat comes with an interphase GPS/Chartplotter, furuno bottom machine, VHF, Tandem axile trailer, saltwater washdown and much more".

so this leads to my question of the motor, if all cheks out with the compression and foot oil is clean, How much for cleaning or rebuilding carbs, changing foot oil and other regular maintenance to get water ready. owner says it is water ready just needs carbs cleaned due to sitting while project was going. i am looking past just cleaning carbs and am wandering how much money it would cost to do general mtnce and carbs.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

this guy said it just needs carbs cleaned due to sitting??looks like it would be worth 4k without motor being the electronics trailer and work done??? just trying to get opinions????
Old 10-27-2009, 10:52 PM   #5
Blue Marlin

Good looking boat. Go check the compression and look at foot oil. If compression checks out and foot oil is good go from there.
Pinksnappertrapper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2009, 12:54 AM   #6
Grouper

any input from the morning crowd?
Old 10-28-2009, 06:42 AM   #7
Blue Marlin

Those are very good motors... if the compression is ok. and the gear lube looks good, i would say go for it.. the picture looks good.. how is the overall corosion... look at the shift shaft down by the lower unit,,, i have seen lots of those broken/rusted in that area.. if it is the power head has to come off to fix it... in that case it may not be worth it...
Sequoiha is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2009, 12:50 PM   #8
Cigar Minnow

Bring it in and for $150.00 we'll tellyou honestlywhat needs to be done if you choose us to do the work the $150.00will go towards the bill to fix.
Boat Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2009, 06:13 PM   #9
Grouper

anymore input? Is the boat, leaning post, electronics, andthe trailer worth 4k without the motor??? i know thats an opinion as to what you want, but considering the nadacore stringers, deck and interlux paint job..... what do you think?

also what would the estamaited COST be to clean carbs, change water pump, change foot oil, and other STANDARD maintenance be????? not trying to hod anyone to a price but someone has this motorand should know what the last service bill was????
Old 10-28-2009, 07:43 PM   #10
Sailfish

PM Sent
sosmarine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in