Modifying a Carolina Skiff JV16 - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > General Discussion

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By X-Shark
  • 2 Post By lsucole

Old 06-10-2019, 05:29 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default Modifying a Carolina Skiff JV16

I recently purchased a used Carolina Skiff JV16 rigged for floundering. The former owner is a member here as well. Its a sweet boat but I'd like to make some modifications.

1. Move the console forward and install a cooler/seat with a reversible seat back.

2. Add a seat on the front of the console

NOTE: for notes 1 and 2 it may be cheaper to buy a new console.

3. I'd like to replace the bench in the back with one that has storage compartments that can drain into the boat - use as a live well or as a cooler

NOTE: Alternately I'd like to have a padded bench seat with backrest built over the current back bench and a portable bench for installation in front of the console.

4. The past owner has a super flounder rig with four high powered lights attached to two batteries up front. I want to keep the rig but make it portable so that I can remove and store the lights when not in use.

Does anyone know where I can get these modifications done or where I can buy the parts in the Emerald Coast - Gulf Shores/Lower Alabama area?

Thanks

John
Hobbitcid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2019, 09:45 PM   #2
Sailfish

Sounds like no problem at all. Also look at the Carolina skiff forum. One problem you might run into is how narrow the smaller skiffs are when adding those things
stevenattsu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2019, 08:41 AM   #3
Blue Marlin

Moving the console could be expensive.

It just depends? Depends where the cabling comes up thru the floor...

This will mean shift / throttle cables.....Wiring extensions. It can get real expensive.
cody&ryand and Kamac like this.

Old 06-11-2019, 09:10 AM   #4
Grouper

Location: live in Baton Rouge but have a condo in Pensacola Beach

As previously mentioned go to " Carolina Skiff Owners Forum " and join . You will find loads of info and help. Years ago I took a plain hull J16 and modified it. I bought the CS large back deck and installed it -- I wanted an "open air" back deck to store the gas tank, batteries, etc. I then bought the CS front deck for the fishing seat , trolling motor, etc. Originally I was going to build my own decks. However after looking at the weight and pricing of materials , buying the decks from CS was really a no brainer. BTW , weight is a huge issue in a small boat.

Now for the console. My original plan was to do a center console. HOWEVER, after going to some CS dealerships and fishing in someone else's 17'JV , I decided that a center console just took up too much floor space. Also, navigating around the center console in any type of waves was a little hairy in a narrow boat. So I purchased what I believe is the med. console for that boat ( the one w/o the built in seat ) and installed it on the side with a drivers seat sitting on the fore mentioned back deck. This really opens up the floor space and when moving from the front deck to the back of the boat you are moving down the middle of the boat instead of the sides as you would be in a center console designation.

If you go on the CS website , you can find all of the parts listed in their brochure. Any CS dealer can order them and if you are not in a big hurry, they can be shipped with their next boat order and save you some shipping costs. Good Luck with your re-do !
stevenattsu and Kamac like this.
lsucole is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in