Mercury 2002 salt water efi 250s?? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > General Discussion

Old 06-28-2013, 04:36 PM   #1
Grouper

Default Mercury 2002 salt water efi 250s??

It turns out another parker I am considering has the 2002 Mercury Saltwater EFI 250Hp on it. What kind of reputation do they have? The other Parker has the 1989, hasn't been used in 4 years, Yamaha Saltwater ox66 250. One OB repair shop likes the Mercury better. Says parts are cheaper and easier to work on. Says the Yamaha can be tough to get apart and the parts are more expensive. Also has more anodes to replace.

Another shop likes the Yamaha. Keep the O2 sensor clean however. Aside from non use what is reputation.

Maybe it is six of one and half a dozen of the other??
fighterpilot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2013, 04:49 PM   #2
On a boat
Grouper

I say Yamaha any day of the week as I have personally had a bad experience with Mercury and stellar with Yamaha. I find a lot of OB repair shops have the mentality that anything other than whats on their boat is junk. Parts are extremely easy to find for the Yamaha in stores and online and not more difficult to service from my experiences.
Old 06-28-2013, 05:33 PM   #3
Sailfish

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikvi

70% of the world uses Yamaha outboards. OX-66 is a very strong motor. Thirsty and uses allot of oil. Never had any problems with finding parts for OX-66s. Contact Dave at Davlor marine and ask his opinion. He works on both motors extensively. My experience with mercury is when I ran charter boats. the owner always had the latest model of that year. They were always breaking down. That was in the 90's though.
Mikvi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2013, 06:06 PM   #4
Snapper

I seen lots of yamaha's in the shop that had bad corrosion problems take it for what it's worth I was told Yamaha used recycled aluminum to keep the cost down and that why they corroded so bad internally and hard to get apart, they are strong motors personally any motor that is taken care of will run and last forever with only minor problems but must be taken care of
Old 06-28-2013, 06:16 PM   #5
Grouper

mto264, your comments echo one of the shops I was talking to. What isn't being done that causes the Yamahas to corrode so bad. The type of Aluminum used was also noted that Mercury used a better grade of Aluminum. This specific ox 66 on the boat I am considering hasn't been used since 2009, hence is very suspect for me. I did hear it run on a muff, sounded like my old 200 HP rudes.
Seller, individual, says don't trust the trailer to take it to put in water but would take it to nearby lake, float it off, float on another trailer than take it 13 miles to a river. Fuel has been in the tank since 2009 also. Seller said they started to pump it out but looked and smelled OK so stopped. 100 gal. Said it was non ethanol and he had used stabil. I have to believe any gasoline 4 years old, regardless of the treatment should be set aside for the lawn mower at best.

Looking for trailer. New $4000 dollars, Existing trailer has no brakes or brake system and springs and u bolts all rusted as well at the hubs. Don't think it can be salvaged unless one could find another used trailer to make one out of.

Any thoughts??

Last edited by fighterpilot; 06-28-2013 at 06:23 PM.
Old 06-28-2013, 06:22 PM   #6
White Marlin

Is it a 4 stroke? If so, the funny thing is this: it is a Yamaha. Back in the years surrounding that motor, Yamaha made mercury's 4 strokes and mercury put their name on them.
SouthAlabamaSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2013, 08:32 PM   #7
Grouper

Naw, it is a 2 stroke.
Old 06-29-2013, 01:09 AM   #8
Ruby Red Lip

I can tell you with absolute certainty ...... Do not use that gas in the motor (drain it and put in your lawn equipment).
SWAT310 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2013, 03:19 PM   #9
Jaded Old Phart
Blue Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAT310 View Post
I can tell you with absolute certainty ...... Do not use that gas in the motor (drain it and put in your lawn equipment).
If you don't like your lawn equipment......Mo betta you go kill weeds and fire ants or give it to someone you don't like very much.
Old 06-30-2013, 03:47 PM   #10
Snapper

Different beast totally but, I towed a 79 Searay down from NJ 4 yrs ago. Small block chev I/O Been working on it ever since. Sniffed the gas, after a year or so sitting by the house smelled like the way I remember gas should smell. Engine started right up, runs smoothly and I have been running it periodically since then. When I finally pulled the tank sender a couple months ago, I found I had about half a tank, say 40 gallons and it smelled just like the non ETOH stuff I bought to add "just for good measure". Not making any recommendations, just saying. Bad "old time" gas and current Government sponsored gas smell bad.
This is certainly not a recommendation.
Just did some research. A lot depends on the storage. If all that happens is some of the vapors "bleed off/evaporate" the gasoline will be come less volatile. I noticed after a little over 3 years she started a little slower, added 6 gal and now she fires right up again. According to the info I found online, gas in this condition will not harm an engine. The bad side is from oxidation which will make the fuel smell bad.
"The nose knows".
If it smells good, I'm guessing it could be salvaged. Good enough for an outboard, no telling, but I'd bet more useful than lawnmower fuel. It would take a bunch of lawnmowers.

How about Ray Donnelly? He was the Cardiv 6 ops o and ex F8 skipper?

As for the Merc/Yamaha choice. I have no experience with either, but have a mechanic who has totally saved me more times than I can count during "reconstruction project". He always has a yard full of boats and is highly regarded. I was considering repowering an old Carolina Skiff I have and mentioned Yamaha. He showed me a couple of "skeletons" he had torn down resulting from internal saltwater corrosion. He said Mercury definitely as they used better materials and spent a lot on internal corrosion control. FWIW

I'm guessing looking again that what I thought was a Crusader is in fact an A7.

Last edited by GWally; 06-30-2013 at 04:03 PM.
GWally is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in