Key West - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > General Discussion

Like Tree5Likes

Old 06-25-2014, 07:39 PM   #1
Snapper

Default Key West

Sure is nice this time of year except for this meeting that keeps dragging on and on. What's there to do later?
LopeAlong is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2014, 07:45 PM   #2
Low speed, low drag.
Grand Slam

http://www.fla-keys.com/

Been to Mallory Square for a sunset yet? Lot of fun to be had in Key West.
grouper22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2014, 08:45 PM   #3
Snapper

I was thinking something for 10-12 Orange Beach charter boat captains.
LopeAlong is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2014, 08:51 PM   #4
Grouper

I just listened to Capt. Scott Hickman promote fish tags for EVERY recreational fisherman EXCEPT those who fish on HIS boat.

Why should fish tags be directed only towards private recreational fishermen? After all, the fish landed aboard ALL vessels (private rec, charterboat, and headboat), are caught by RECREATIONAL fishermen. Why should the type of boat matter?

Honest question.

Can anyone provide a rationale on why there should be a different system for recreational fishermen based solely on type of boat they fish from? I am not recommending fish tags at all - I am simply questioning why they are good for some fishermen and not others.
Burnt Drag likes this.
Tom Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2014, 08:51 PM   #5
Low speed, low drag.
Grand Slam

Lol, gotcha...Capt Tony's, Sloppy Joe's and Irish Kevins. That will get yall started.
grouper22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2014, 11:54 PM   #6
Snapper

I have been to Key West, and it is fun. But I guess my recommendation would depend on whether EDF is giving you money up front, or whether they are reimbursing you after the fact based on receipts; and whether they are going to pick up the bar bill or whether that is on you. If you could let me know, I can provide some recommendations. Thanks in advance.
gator7_5 and RMS like this.
SnapperSlapper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2014, 12:00 AM   #7
Snapper

I would recommend you throw some recreational fishermen under a bus, but that is why you are down there anyway so you have that covered.

Last edited by SnapperSlapper; 06-26-2014 at 02:00 PM.
SnapperSlapper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2014, 12:36 AM   #8
Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by LopeAlong View Post
Sure is nice this time of year except for this meeting that keeps dragging on and on. What's there to do later?
Not related to the fishing, but if you go to Old Town during the day, just be prepared when the cruise ships disgorge about 5k tourist for a few hours, it will be jam packed.

I rode a bike down there in January or February and was overwhelmed by the number of people coming off the cruise ships to see Old Town/Key West. I did not spend too much time in KW, stayed in Key Largo, mainly went for the breathtaking ride across the bridges.

It had been a while since I had been and the cruise ships were not disgorging their passengers for a few hours then or there may have been fewer ships years earlier when I took my family.

This time there were three ships when I went down during the middle of the day and it was like the mall 2 days before xmas. I spent about an hour then left.

The Good thing is I think they make the cruise ships leave for the sunset on Mallory Square which is a lot of fun. I had a fantastic trip (I went when we were getting one of the ice storms up here) but it will be my last trip to the Keys for a while.

If you are going strictly for fishing, that is another whole bottle of wax, mine was purely a pleasure trip and the wind was somewhat taken out of the sails by the ungodly amount of people wandering around Old Town. I still had a good time though and checked another thing off my bucket list.

If you've never been though it will be fun either way.

I refuse to tiptoe through live only to arrive safely at death.

As far as possible be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly. Remember always, there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.

Last edited by Freedom Outlaw; 06-27-2014 at 12:39 AM.
Freedom Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2014, 07:58 PM   #9
Grouper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hilton View Post
I just listened to Capt. Scott Hickman promote fish tags for EVERY recreational fisherman EXCEPT those who fish on HIS boat.

Why should fish tags be directed only towards private recreational fishermen? After all, the fish landed aboard ALL vessels (private rec, charterboat, and headboat), are caught by RECREATIONAL fishermen. Why should the type of boat matter?

Honest question.

Can anyone provide a rationale on why there should be a different system for recreational fishermen based solely on type of boat they fish from? I am not recommending fish tags at all - I am simply questioning why they are good for some fishermen and not others.
I think the meeting was open to the public. Why didn't you make the trip since you care so much about others opinions? You could have stood up and testified that Scott was wrong and you are right. Sorry but I don't believe that the Gulf Council counts the same copy and paste that you put out on every fishing forum as public testimony. You seem have plenty of time and money to travel to Destin to fish a Bill Fish tournament, the meeting in Key West should have been a piece of cake. With all the copy and paste comments all over the web you seem like a guy thats concerned about the fishery and want to be part of the process but your never at a meeting. Seems kinda funny. Im sure after we get our on Sector and IFQ program you will be the first one, typing away telling every one we stole your fish while in actuality were just securing the non boat owning American publics access. Oh and by the way there was only like a couple Recreational people there, again not much of a showing.
aroundthehorn likes this.
Fairwaterfishing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2014, 08:17 PM   #10
Grand Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairwaterfishing View Post
I think the meeting was open to the public. Why didn't you make the trip since you care so much about others opinions? You could have stood up and testified that Scott was wrong and you are right. Sorry but I don't believe that the Gulf Council counts the same copy and paste that you put out on every fishing forum as public testimony. You seem have plenty of time and money to travel to Destin to fish a Bill Fish tournament, the meeting in Key West should have been a piece of cake. With all the copy and paste comments all over the web you seem like a guy thats concerned about the fishery and want to be part of the process but your never at a meeting. Seems kinda funny. Im sure after we get our on Sector and IFQ program you will be the first one, typing away telling every one we stole your fish while in actuality were just securing the non boat owning American publics access. Oh and by the way there was only like a couple Recreational people there, again not much of a showing.
Ding, ding, ding.

aroundthehorn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in