Keep it tight guys - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > General Discussion

Old 06-16-2010, 11:16 AM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default Keep it tight guys

Have been reading your posts lately to get a true feel about this BP circus from the people who it affects most and firstly I want to say my heart goes out to every one of you.
I have lived in Minnesota for the last 25 yrs but before then I grew up in the north of Scotland where I gained hands on experience in both sides of the oil/fishing industry and I wanted to point out just a couple of examples of the different attitude of them in general.
I worked 150 miles offshore for Brown & Root on a Marathon rig, 2 on 2 off and for 1 week of every 2 off I worked for free on a 35ft shrimp trawler that needed an 4th hand but could not afford to pay one, my reward was I got to stay off the booze for 7 of those 14 days off.

The trawler....
We stayed out the whole week and trawled at night, our skipper was a giant who did not know the meaning of the word fear. so we would go out in seas that make me nervous just remembering, but to him, we were his kids and he watched us like a hawk to make sure we made it home safe. We were working in an area that had been cleaned out a couple years earlier by massive commercial boats from foreign ports, so quite a few times not only did the guys not make any pay that week, they did not catch enough to pay for the diesel/boat and some of next weeks catch had to go towards that, but fishing was in these guys blood and they could never fathom the thought of trying to earning a living any other way.
This was the hardest work I have ever done in my life, but it was the only job I can truly say I ever truly enjoyed, no matter how bad our week was when we got off that boat on a friday night and entered the bar most of the regulars moved to the other end, partly because we stank so bad and partly because we were there to cut loose and no one would even think about hampering that. We never knew what it was to feel sorry for ourselves.

The rig (just 1 example).....
On my first week ever offshore we were working nights and the weather was turning nasty(according to the Marathon newsletter some nights it got to 100mph winds with 40ft swells). They were trying to keep us working to the end of the shift to let the next shift on (we were living on an accomodation barge attached to the rig by a telescopic bridge).but it got too bad with an hour to go and they told us to evacuate. We normally crossed the bridge all at once but this time they were holding us back and only letting us go 2 at a time, when I asked the guy behind me why he calmly informed me that if the bridge went down with the wind and 2 died it would only get a couple of inches in the press but if 100 of us went down it would be front page news. An hour later I found out that a bridge did go down 2 weeks previously on another rig and under the same circumstances and yes 2 men got killed with it.
What I'm trying to say in this long winded way is that , you guys are going to go through a lot with this and as the tension grows you are going to have heated disagreements to say the least long before its over, but I hope that you will never forget who your true brothers are and who you would rather have your back if it really came down to the nitty gritty.
The best of luck to each and every one of you and I pray you come through this with your heads held high.
blackboab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2010, 08:16 PM   #2
White Marlin

Default RE: Keep it tight guys

We will. Good read by the way !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Scott

18' McKee Craft w/90 HP Honda
25.5 Grady White Sailfish W/ Twin 200 ETEC
parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2010, 08:59 PM   #3
Blue Marlin

EXCELLENT first post, and THANK YOU for the well wishes............ Tight lines to those that can, Tom B.
Boatjob1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2010, 09:40 PM   #4
Grouper

Amen brother
PorknBeans is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in