Jaws 2 information wanted - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > General Discussion

Like Tree1Likes

Old 06-30-2013, 11:49 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default Jaws 2 information wanted

Hello everyone! My name is Michael Smith and I just returned from a visit to Destin and Ft Walton Beach where I was doing research on a book I am co-writing on the making of the film, "Jaws 2."

I saw in a thread from a couple of years ago that several members of the forum either worked on the film or had some stories to share. I would love to hear those stories and, if you happened to take any, see any photos you might have. I can be reached by email at [email protected]

There was an article about me published last December and the Destin Log is planning to publish another one shortly. I assure you I'm on the level.

Thank you in advance.

Michael
Author! Author! is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2013, 12:14 AM   #2
Sailfish

While they were filming on Ft Pickens, My buddy's paw inlaw was guarding the shark & Killer whale / props on the fort at night. It was winter time, We went red fishing & slept inside the shark & Killer whale to get out of the cold & wind. He stayed in his cruiser car asleep warm. He was smart. We did the watching. They were big enough & we had plenty of room with blankets. It was cool to say the least. Even cold.
KingCrab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2013, 12:22 AM   #3
Trigger

KW, you been in the sauce again?

Last edited by KnotForReel; 07-01-2013 at 12:31 AM.
KnotForReel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2013, 12:28 AM   #4
White Marlin

Hydro Therapy 2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2013, 12:29 AM   #5
Sailfish

Yes & nope. That really happened. Me? In the Sauce? Why how obsurd, Well, Humph.

Last edited by KingCrab; 07-01-2013 at 12:56 AM.
KingCrab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2013, 02:01 AM   #6
Grouper

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCrab View Post
While they were filming on Ft Pickens, My buddy's paw inlaw was guarding the shark & Killer whale / props on the fort at night. It was winter time, We went red fishing & slept inside the shark & Killer whale to get out of the cold & wind. He stayed in his cruiser car asleep warm. He was smart. We did the watching. They were big enough & we had plenty of room with blankets. It was cool to say the least. Even cold.
I never knew they filmed here. I'm sure that was a very cool experience. We were at the filming of lethal weapon 3 I believe when they blew the high rise up. it was an old motel down in St.Pete that went through several owners before it was demolished and they use it in the film. very cool experience.
snookman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2013, 02:11 AM   #7
Splittine's step-pappy
Grand Slam

I find it hard to believe your big ass could fit in the killer whale prop...

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Forum Runner.
Old 07-01-2013, 02:25 AM   #8
Blue Marlin

There was what looked like paper mache lighthouse in Gulf Islands National Seashore. Not sure if that was the material (maybe fiberglass) but a cut away section reminded me of it. The artwork was amazing down to seaweed on the base. There were also some fancy tents set up. Not sure if it was Jaws I or II but Rex Metz was one of the underwater cinematographers. He was at FSU film school teaching last I heard.
SHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2013, 02:48 AM   #9
White Marlin

JAWS II-still not safe to go back in the water. I can tell you that I had just started diving when the original JAWS came out and I heard that music underwater more than once.

Just as they started filming JAWS II, I was working out of the Pensacola Beach Marina but I had to go back to school in Tallahassee because it was already September. The dockmaster was Capt. Red McKlean, an ex-Navy pilot who also ran his charter boat for select old customers. He was hired to star in the movie as the boat captain for Roy Snieder and had a few good scenes in the movie. The only issue was that Red had spent his whole career speaking into a flight helmet, oxygen mask and tended to talk like he was still speaking into one. They ended up dubbing over his voice. Maybe it was to give him more of a New England accent (his true accent was just grizzled sea captain). Anyway, the 'big stars' were staying in, I believe it was at the Holiday Inn, Navarre. I went down with Red's daughter and we met up with Roy Snieder at poolside there and he was very relaxed since it was a sequel to a huge hit. There didn't seem to be a lot of intense pressure on anyone other than the producers. Capt. Bobby Gray was another Pensacola Beach Marina charter captain who worked on the film. He was running one of the 24 ft. or so Boston Whalers that they were using to wrangle the mechanical shark and I remember them swamping that boat in the surf down at Navarre. Anyway, even with the knowledge that all this was going on, when I came home to Pensacola from school one weekend, we went to fish off the beach at the pass near Ft. Pickens and I can remember walking out there and thinking to myself, 'I don't remember there ever being a lighthouse here'. It was surreal. Between Ft. Pickens and the Pass, there was this huge lighthouse and I was finding it impossible to believe that I had never noticed it. Finally, we got curious and went over to look at it and it was a completely 'mocked up' New England lighthouse. I tell you, it looked so real that it really threw me for a loop. On closer inspection, the whole thing was made of plywood and plastered over to give that real, yet weathered, effect. I'm sure there were a few more guys over at that dock that worked on the movie. Both Red and Bobby Gray have passed away now but you may be able to talk to Capt. Jerry Andrews, on the Entertainer, and he will probably be able to add a lot to the story. I think he is about the only one left over there that was around when it was being made. I can remember that Capt. Red ended up joining the Screen Actors Guild (I think it was mandatory) and he talked about going off and making some more movies but he never left Pensacola.
panhandleslim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2013, 03:12 AM   #10
Sailfish

A link to a previous discussion on this forum. https://www.pensacolafishingforum.com...=jaws+movie%5C

Most filming was in the Destin area.
A Lighthouse movie prop was built at Pensacola Pass. The movie side was authentic to a New England style light house, and the back side of it was nothing but a 2 by 4 framework. It was there along time after the shoot was complete.

The "Shark" was moored in the sound along Ft. Pickens just East of the old fishing Pier. It had a wheeled carriage under it that ran on rails. It was a huge shark, maybe 30 feet long. Fiberglass and air brushed, it was cheesy looking and covered with a tarp most of the time. Must of been some serious editing to make it look more real in the movie than I remember.
I have a friend that is the result of Roy Schneider "Brody", and her Mom having a close encounter of their own while he was filming in the area. He did take care of her, but never publicly admitted to the affair.
SHO-NUFF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in