It's time to make Snappers and Groupers "Sport Fish" Only!!!!! - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > General Discussion
Register Fishing Photos FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Advertise

Old 05-04-2010, 03:28 PM   #1
Snapper

Default It's time to make Snappers and Groupers "Sport Fish" Only!!!!!

<span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: Verdana, Tahoma, Arial; font-size: 13px; line-height: 18px; -webkit-border-horizontal-spacing: 1px; -webkit-border-vertical-spacing: 1px; "><span id="ctl00_ctlContentPlaceHolder_ctl00_ctlTopic_ctl PanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater_ctl04_lblFullMessage">T his may be bad timing, but I'm so mad and depressed about the current situation I don't care!!!! I suspect that I will have a lot of extra time sitting at home this year, so I say screw you big business, screw you big commercial fishing and a big screw you to all the biggovernment control over the fisheries!!!Since this is going to put a major hurt on the commercial fishing industry in the Gulf, and I suspect a lot of commercial fisherman will go out of business.<span class="Apple-style-span" style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 0); ">It may be a good time to start raising more support to classify and protect Snappers and Groupers as "sport fish" only and not allow any commercial harvest.
It may already be catch and release for the next several years. I'm not sure how the oil or the chemicals used to deal with it are going to affect the edibility of the fish in the first place. I'm not sure is the flesh of the fish will be contaminated for years to come. Hopefully there will be some studies done, or some simple test to do to determine if it's safe to eat once they get the oil spill under control.
<span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: Verdana, Tahoma, Arial; font-size: 13px; line-height: 18px; -webkit-border-horizontal-spacing: 1px; -webkit-border-vertical-spacing: 1px; ">I'm sure that any excuse to screw over the recreational fisherman will be coming soon!!!. It probably plays right into the master plan of the government and theenvironmentalistto shut down the Gulf to fishing altogether. Just as I thought we were starting to turn the corner and be able to catch more snappers and have an extended the season, big business (BP) shuts it down hard. This will probably take us backwards 10 or 15 yrs or more in the road for the recovery of the fisheries. Now all the government predictions about the fishery being "over-fished" will probably be true with thepredictedfish kills that are coming. It makes me so mad that I threw back all those pounds of snapper and grouper when the seasons were closed, just so that they can be wiped out by Big Oil Companies (BP). There is no amount of money that can fix the state of the fishery or the time lost from enjoying the recreation of fishing. I hope that all the big money that the commerciallobbyist have at their disposal doesn't shut out therecreationalsector completely.
Gone Fishin' Too is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2010, 07:19 AM   #2
Trigger

Default RE: It's time to make Snappers and Groupers "Sport Fish" Only!!!!!

<blockquote class="webkit-indent-blockquote" style="margin: 0 0 0 40px; border: none; padding: 0px;">Oh shit you've opened Pandora's Box. This should be an interesting thread. </blockquote>
Spanky45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2010, 03:10 PM   #3
Kim
Blue Marlin

I'm not sure if this thread will a Pandora's Box or not but here is a bit of interesting information concerning the opening of Red Snapper season last year. Season opened on a Monday last year, on Sunday the day before season opened it turns out that one out of three boats checked coming into the East Pass Destin were found to have illegal fish on board, namely Red Snapper. I'm sure that the people concerned weren't thrilled to get their citations but they violated the law. I wonder how much behavior like this impacts the season and bag limits in the long run. I could be that those people couldn't get Monday off or that the seasons and bag limits just don't apply to them as far as they are concerned.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2010, 03:30 PM   #4
WW2
Sailfish

Who in the hell would want to go bottom bumping for "sport"?
WW2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2010, 03:46 PM   #5
Sailfish

maybe the same people that eat white trout and fish for reds?
-=Desperado=- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2010, 03:47 PM   #6
Sailfish

Quote:
WW2 (05/05/2010)Who in the hell would want to go bottom bumping for "sport"?
+1, bottom fishing isn't about sport, it's about putting meat in the box. I just don't see it as a catch and release fishery. Vent all you want, but you are still killing fish.

I would be all for stopping the commercial take, heck they are going to be poisoned anyway. Snapper and grouper still aren't like redfish, snook, tarpon, or billfish.
P-cola_Native is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2010, 04:18 PM   #7
Grouper

Send a message via AIM to TOBO

Gamefish Status is the term I think he means.
TOBO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2010, 06:13 PM   #8
Snapper

Sorry...... Gamefish status is what I meant to say. No Commercial Sale of Snappers or Groupers!!! The same way they did it on the East Coast with Strippers. I want it to be a recreational bag limit only. And if you want to catch and release, that's your choice. Depending on the severity of the oil spill and the contaminants used to control it, I'm not sure how it will affect the quality or edibility of consuming fish out of the Gulf of Mexico anyways. Most of out Snappers are shipped up to Canada and the Northeast United States, I'd tell them to eat more Cod!!!
Gone Fishin' Too is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2010, 08:54 PM   #9
Blue Marlin

Quote:
Gone Fishin' Too (05/05/2010)Sorry...... Gamefish status is what I meant to say. No Commercial Sale of Snappers or Groupers!!! The same way they did it on the East Coast with Strippers. I want it to be a recreational bag limit only. And if you want to catch and release, that's your choice. Depending on the severity of the oil spill and the contaminants used to control it, I'm not sure how it will affect the quality or edibility of consuming fish out of the Gulf of Mexico anyways. Most of out Snappers are shipped up to Canada and the Northeast United States, I'd tell them to eat more Cod!!!
agreed:toast
nextstep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in