It's Summer, the Kids are out of School - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > General Discussion

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Billybob+

Old 06-09-2014, 01:32 PM   #1
Grouper

Default It's Summer, the Kids are out of School

So here we are about to close the chapter on Federal Snapper Season 2014. It's June, THE month of summer, our kids are out of school and looking forward to the, hopefully, many days of summer joys. Now since before this great country was even founded as a nation, Men have been spending idle time in the summer teaching their children how to catch, clean and cook fish....but wait! This is 2014! this is the Age of "Crabtree". I want to take my Son out and catch him some fish to bring home and eat. Can any of you guess what is by far THE most prolific fish inside of 300 feet? Well, it's NOT Lionfish...it's NOT Scamp, it's NOT even Vermillion, it's RED SNAPPER.
Add to that, if we DID accidentally catch a Gag Grouper...well guess what, it has to go back. And an Amberjack, well, that too, has to go back. Perhaps a Triggerfish, very tasty indeed.....NOPE, it's going back.

So for the first time in the history of Modern Man, we've allowed Bureaucrats to dictate to us this insanity. Sure, if you have a large enough boat and the money to fill it, you can chase the larger pelagics like Tuna, Wahoo, Dolphin etc and to those with that kind of wherewithal, I applaud you.
And yes, if you're fortunate enough to be able to afford some of the better guides or go on a Charter, then you probably will be blessed with some Scamp, or Red Grouper (both MUCH more endangered than ARS) but it just frosts me to take my Son out fishing and catch dozens upon dozens of fish only to have the same repeated dialog with my son "Can we keep him dad?" "Nope Son" to which he asks "Why" to which I have NO REASONABLE ANSWER!

Can someone help me other than "Because it's the Law and that's the Correct thing to do" I'm just venting.

As a side note, I had the FWC board me on the FINE Catamaran of theirs for 20-30 minutes the opening day of Federal Season at 11 miles out (outside their jurisdiction) but they had a Federal Officer on board who searched EVERYTHING. the whole time, I we were not allowed to fish! There were FIVE officers on the boat. They finally let me return to fishing but I felt like I'd been raped in prison (by the way, there was NOTHING wrong with my boat...the catch was all legal, licenses were all legal, safety equipment in date and legal) it was as though they NEEDED to write a citation to help pay for that lunacy!

Why does our state support the FEDERAL governments job with our State Tax Dollars and why did it take FIVE people?

just ranting.....sorry folks.....
tbaxl likes this.
Billybob+ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2014, 01:44 PM   #2
Sailfish

Feds pay us a large fuel stipend to run them around. & they do have authority in federal waters if remember right.

I support the large number people on board. How far away is back up if something goes sideways? Or what if they get called to a rescue that far out?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
Flguy32514 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in