Is hoop netting for lobsters legal in FL? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > General Discussion

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By watergator

Old 09-17-2016, 07:45 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default Is hoop netting for lobsters legal in FL?

Good Evening All,

Long time lurker and first time poster. Quick question for anyone with an in depth knowledge of lobster regulations. Is hoop netting for bugs legal for recreational fishermen? I pulled this paragraph from the rule book, but it doesn't specify if it relates specifically to commercial fishermen or recreational:

CHAPTER 68B-24 SPINY LOBSTER (CRAWFISH) AND SLIPPER LOBSTER

(5) The directed harvest of spiny lobster by the use of any net or trawl, other than a landing or dip net, bully net with a diameter no larger than 3 feet, or hoop net with a diameter no larger than 10 feet, is prohibited.

I've been hoop netting for bugs in California for years, just not sure if it's legal or not here in FL.

Thanks guys!
Niko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2016, 09:11 PM   #2
Sailfish

You can in south Florida. The only ones you will find around here are shovel nose if you dive
stevenattsu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2016, 09:58 PM   #3
Cigar Minnow

I'm open to hooping any type of lobster that's legal, but the only regs I can find are specifically for the "spiny." I'm assuming--which is dangerous--that the laws for south Florida mirror those around the Pensacola area, in which case I'm assuming I'm free to hoop some bugs!??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2016, 07:49 AM   #4
Grand Slam

Yes it is legal in Florida. You will never get lobster in the Pensacola area other than Diving. The key's is where Hoop and Bully netting is done and it's only piratical for a month or so when the bugs are moving. Aug 6th is opening day and they are moving then. Invest in some diving gear is you best bet anywhere away from the Key's
Old 09-18-2016, 11:56 PM   #5
Cigar Minnow

I'm curious as to would hoop nets not be any good in this area. Is there a particular reason, or do you know from experience? And I read you can't dive for them at night..wonder why that is, too.
Old 09-21-2016, 01:51 PM   #6
Trigger

Lobstering in general isn't any good here. Shovelnose/slipper lobsters are fairly abundant here compared to other places but I've never heard of anyone catching them any way other than diving. Someone will occasionally find a spiny up here but they aren't very common (they're usually huge when they do get caught though).

Diving at night is only prohibited in Monroe county (Keys) during sport season. If you decide to do sport season in the keys next year I recommend having your will and final arrangements in place before going. People seem to lose all common sense and self control down there. I've had a much better time diving west palm/Stuart/Jupiter and you have the added benefits of night diving, bigger bugs, and a 12 lobster limit during mini.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OLDBOB likes this.
watergator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in