Hiring a captain for a tournament - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > General Discussion

Old 07-11-2013, 03:07 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default Hiring a captain for a tournament

I'm interested in hiring a captain to fish the MBGFC labor day tourney and was wondering what the standard is. Obviously paying the guy to charter his boat and paying entry fees, but do the fisherman get all the winnings or is it split with the captain/owner? Do people work out deals to not pay as much for the charter and give up a portion of potential winnings? TIA!
TideFishin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2013, 03:14 PM   #2
Young Snappa
Trigger

Well I cant understand why they would work out deals where you wouldn't pay as much, because what if you dont win? then he would be out of money. I'm new to the fishing tournament scene but never heard of someone chartering a boat for a tournament, normally all the captains go out with their own crew.
Old 07-11-2013, 03:18 PM   #3
Bearded Brotula
Grand Slam

It's done, but I don't know what the details are.
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2013, 03:21 PM   #4
Grouper

You pay the captain/owner for the charter of the boat. This money is guaranteed.

The person or person chartering the boat and captain pays the entry fee.

Each person paying the entry fee gets a share of the winnings after the entry fee is deducted. This does not include the hiring of the boat and captain.

The boat and the captain also gets a share of the winnings. Any deckhands are paid by the captain or they get tips from the anglers.
captwesrozier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2013, 03:25 PM   #5
***Creepy A$$ Cracker***
Blue Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TideFishin View Post
I'm interested in hiring a captain to fish the MBGFC labor day tourney and was wondering what the standard is. Obviously paying the guy to charter his boat and paying entry fees, but do the fisherman get all the winnings or is it split with the captain/owner? Do people work out deals to not pay as much for the charter and give up a portion of potential winnings? TIA!
Blue water fishing is a team sport. It takes a team to reel the fish in, drive the boat so that the fish can be reeled in, leader/wire the fish to the boat so said fished can be gaffes by another team member. I don't know of anyone with any expirence that would camp out on a boat for 2-4 days, help someone clear lines, tell them where to fish, and what baits to use, help them catch a tournament winning fish "after fishing boating 20 non winning fish" and do it just cause they wanted to ride. Everyone that works on the winning fish gets a cut. That percentage is agreed upon before you get on the boat, add using someone's boat/ and captain then you are not gonna make very much money IF you happen to get on the board even if its bisbee's tournament...

The Road Goes On Forever And The Party Never Ends.....
MULLET HUNTER is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2013, 03:36 PM   #6
Cigar Minnow

Thanks for the info Capt Wes!

Mullet - Not really concerned with the money aspect, we would just like to fish in a tournament environment. We're just looking at doing the one day outboard shootout.
TideFishin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2013, 04:07 PM   #7
White Marlin

A 'hired' Captain who runs your boat gets his full daily fee, plus. The plus is his share of the winnings of both the tournament prizes and the calcutta prizes. I have seen every type of split go to the crew from 10% to 100%. If you want people who are going to put out extraordinary effort to win the tournament, you should strongly consider sharing the wealth. True, he has not put up any money and he is getting paid regardless but it is just good etiquette to let a guy know what he can expect when it comes to the prize money; even to the point of sitting down and negotiating it well before the tournament and putting it down on paper for all to refer to. When money is involved, misunderstanding have a way of creeping in without crystal clarity being there from the beginning. Verbal agreements are usually not sufficient because everybody hears things as they want them to be, not how they actually are.
panhandleslim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2013, 04:17 PM   #8
White Marlin

I've got to apologize because I went back and carefully read your post again. You intend to Charter a Captain, Crew and his boat. In that case, you will pay him the full charter fee plus make it known what split of any winnings you will give to the crew. In a given situation, everything is negotiable but few people are going to cut their charter rate 'betting on the come'. Another words for a cut of the winnings. Normally, charter rates are higher for tournament fishing because the preparation is much more intense and there are more hours in a tournament day than a normal day of fishing. In addition, the crew, if reputable, should have a reasonable expectation of sharing in the winnings. Some percentage should be designated and you and the captain should sit down and agree to that percentage and then agree to what percentage will go to the helm and what will go to the cockpit. Some Captains will say, 'Oh just give it all to me and I will divy it up but this is NEVER my policy. With me, there is an envelope for each and every crew member and I hand deliver it personally. The cockpit crew should also know what percentage they are in for. This is an 'incentive' issue and an issue of transparency. It is like any other transaction. I am not an attorney but I believe in a 'play book' and I believe in everybody being on the same page.
panhandleslim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2013, 10:47 PM   #9
Snapper

Standard split is 20% of total winnings. The reason you do that is for all of the extra effort put into a tournament charter as opposed to a regular charter.
LopeAlong is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2013, 11:29 PM   #10
Trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by LopeAlong View Post
Standard split is 20% of total winnings. The reason you do that is for all of the extra effort put into a tournament charter as opposed to a regular charter.
Just to clarify, 20% is standard for the captain, but 30% is standard for the "crew".

eddiem84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in