Help me understand please... - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > General Discussion

Old 06-07-2010, 09:14 PM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default Help me understand please...

Without sarcasm, without prejudice, just plain logic please. Why haven?t they capped this thing since they cut the riser off? All I see them doing now is trying to get some oil from it. Can you really tell me they can't cap it?
sandphlea is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2010, 09:23 PM   #2
Trigger

Default RE: Help me understand please...

If they cap it the increase in pressure mayoverwhelm the well and they could have a total blowout. The blowout could occur at the BOP orbelow the seafloor; there may be existing damage to the main well casing 1000 feetdown or erosion damage from flow at the BOP. That's what has been either insinuated or stated directly by BP, so they say....
DVR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2010, 09:38 PM   #3
Ruby Red Lip

Quote:
sandphlea (07/06/2010)Without sarcasm, without prejudice, just plain logic please. Why haven?t they capped this thing since they cut the riser off? All I see them doing now is trying to get some oil from it. Can you really tell me they can't cap it?
Simple answer is ... they can't get it capped, at this point anyway.

As far as them "trying to gt some oil from it".
Would you rather them try and get some or have it all just blow out into the Gulf till they can stop it? I hardly think they are trying to capture what they can for "profit" reasons. Any oil they do succeed in capturing is just that much less screwing up the Gulf.... which at this point is screwed up pretty good.

So yeah, I think I can really tell you at this point..... they cannot cap or stop it.
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2010, 09:42 PM   #4
Grand Slam

What I don't understand is why isn't every piece of oil-gathering equipment in the country down here ? It seems like every oil company in the country should be helping. Like it or not, this will affect their future too.
welldoya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2010, 10:56 PM   #5
Ruby Red Lip

Good question...........
Old 06-07-2010, 11:53 PM   #6
Sailfish

The reason they cannot just stop the oil and cap it isbecauseof the pressure. if they were to just simply put a cap on the well, the force of the oil coming out would either blow off the cap they are trying to apply or could potentially cause the well to blow out. The government is stepping in where they have noknowledge of the way this works, they are making BP try things that BP knows will not work in deep water. They are also making the decision making very slow due to it is having to go through ourbureaucratic system that is known for dragging its feet and making endless forms and permits to do anything. If you think bp is dragging their feet, think again. They are loosing tons of money on this. I currently work offshore for Edison Chouest Offshore in the BP division. We are the orange and tan boats you see at the spill sites. They also do not need all of the oil companies and all of the equipment that is in this country, most of the equipment that is at the site is from aforeign country anyway but, because all of these ROVs that are in the water areattached to the boat by anumbilical which is basically a long control cable. Imagine if they had many of these down there, with the currents and constant movement, they would surely become entangled. it would be a big mess, bigger than it is. This is partially BPs fault and at least they are willing to stand up and not spend time finger pointing. There are other companies involved who as of yet are doing nothing. The Deep Water Horizon was a TransOcean rig. It was transocean equipment and transoceans employees who failed, it just happens to be BPs oil. The way I see it, Transocean is just as much to blame if not more. They are the people who watch the gauges andmaintenance, yet BP is working everything. IF you really want someone to blame look at the MMS they are who regulate the rigs and their safety practices yet once again our own government agencies chose to line their own pockets first and then when something happens step up to try to shine! BP really does need to work on their PR right now though because the tony hayward guy really isnt helping their case haha but i hope this helps clear up anything.
Old 06-08-2010, 12:06 AM   #7
Ruby Red Lip

Quote:
BlaineAtk (07/06/2010)The reason they cannot just stop the oil and cap it isbecauseof the pressure. if they were to just simply put a cap on the well, the force of the oil coming out would either blow off the cap they are trying to apply or could potentially cause the well to blow out. The government is stepping in where they have noknowledge of the way this works, they are making BP try things that BP knows will not work in deep water. They are also making the decision making very slow due to it is having to go through ourbureaucratic system that is known for dragging its feet and making endless forms and permits to do anything. If you think bp is dragging their feet, think again. They are loosing tons of money on this. I currently work offshore for Edison Chouest Offshore in the BP division. We are the orange and tan boats you see at the spill sites. They also do not need all of the oil companies and all of the equipment that is in this country, most of the equipment that is at the site is from aforeign country anyway but, because all of these ROVs that are in the water areattached to the boat by anumbilical which is basically a long control cable. Imagine if they had many of these down there, with the currents and constant movement, they would surely become entangled. it would be a big mess, bigger than it is. This is partially BPs fault and at least they are willing to stand up and not spend time finger pointing. There are other companies involved who as of yet are doing nothing. The Deep Water Horizon was a TransOcean rig. It was transocean equipment and transoceans employees who failed, it just happens to be BPs oil. The way I see it, Transocean is just as much to blame if not more. They are the people who watch the gauges andmaintenance, yet BP is working everything. IF you really want someone to blame look at the MMS they are who regulate the rigs and their safety practices yet once again our own government agencies chose to line their own pockets first and then when something happens step up to try to shine! BP really does need to work on their PR right now though because the tony hayward guy really isnt helping their case haha but i hope this helps clear up anything.
Thanks.... to me that seems like a good level headed response.... with some reasoning attached for good measure.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:41 AM   #8
Grouper

There is valid concern that the integrity of the BOP stack and casings/casing heads has been compromised. Any type of plug needs to be further down in the well rather than at surface.

The easiest form of mitigation at this point is to allow the well to flow but to contain as much of the oil as possible. Doing this is easier said that done due to the volume and pressure of the fluid flow, the damaged equipment at the sea floor, and the environment 5000' below the surface of the gulf. There is definitely room for improvement in BP's performance, but overall they are doing a good job considering what they are dealing with.
Chasin' Tales is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2010, 07:12 AM   #9
Ruby Red Lip

Thank you all for you responses, I understand a little more now. I just cannot understand why the materials used are not of higher grade so they could cap it if they had too.

And why would it blow out under the sea floor?

IMHO, if that is a posibility they shouldnt be there.

BTW, I was not against off shore drilling until now.
sandphlea is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2010, 05:01 AM   #10
Ruby Red Lip

Well I fill a little better now, after reading all of this.....all I keep seeing on the news is that bolted flange at the top of the b.o.p., just under where they just cut the pipe. I guess the pressure is to high for a valve to be bolted to this top flange and cap it.
RODMIESTER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in