Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

Gulf Shores charter recommendations needed

816 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  amarcafina 
#1 ·
Howdy, my name is Fishin' Trip. Live in Houston. Been a fishing addict since I was a kid. Grew up fishing fresh and then was introduced to salt during college. Regularly visit a similar site to this one called 2coolfishing.com that is pretty much out of Houston but covers entire texas coast and a little into Louisiana. y'all should check it out.

Anywho, taking the family to Gulf Shores in June. Staying at Kiva Dunes so more towards Ft. Morgan. This is a new location for us. We usually keep it to TX coast. We ALWAYS do at least 2 if not 3 fishing trips on our vacations. They have always been inshore chasing reds and trout. It is myself, wife, 6 y/o son and grandma.

Now, wife grew up fishing so she's not what most guys envision for a fisherwoman. She won't wade fish with me but she can bait her own hook, work her own artificials, reel fish in, and land them too. Obviously the 6 y/o boy is now becoming an addict. He can cast like a champ already. Grandma is a complete novice.

That's the background on what we bring to a charter as a party....so with that said I have 3 questions I'm looking to get recommendations on:
1) inshore guides
2) offshore guides.....out of Galveston near Houston we have a looooong run to get to fishable water....even for snapper. I'm talking 60 miles. So we don't mess with offshore. However, my understanding is over in AL the run is only like 15 or so miles. I'd be interested in trying this out with the family. ALTHOUGH 6 y/o and grandma have never been on the big water before. Admittedly, I've done some offshore but not a ton. Can handle my own and learn pretty quick. Should I just scrap offshore and keep it to inshore?
3) any areas a bank bound or wade fisherman should hit? Since we're in Kiva Dunes and right across road is Bon Secour I was just planning on finding a spot and walking in.

Thanks in advance for any advice!!

See less See more
#2 ·
They catch a lot of Bull Reds off the point at Fort Morgan on the Dixie bar. If you have a cast net bring that for bait and use a long surf rod to get lead and bait out. Guides can be found at Ft. Morgan Marina, also know as Gulf Shores Yacht Club. We have some great offshore bottom fishing within 20 miles if the seasons are open.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.