Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

grass flats

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Captain Woody Woods 
#1 ·
for someone new to the area and to fishins the flats do you have suggestions. mainly where are the best places to try in the pensacola area. top water jig or bottom baits ect. ect. ect.

#2 ·
right now, youre not going to see as much action over grass as you will in april and later... once the water is warmed up some, and the specks start to get on the "grass flats" its pretty easy to find some spots with good numbers of fish. a vast area that a lot of people fish (wading and from boats) is gulf islands national seashore. thats the area between gulf breeze proper and the tiger point area. from april through the summer months its a lot of fun to fish topwater early early as the sun is just breaking the horizon. good luck in your search for inshore fish!

#4 ·
woody, if youre going to make the trip this far to inshore fish, i can point you in some more specific directions that will produce a little better than that general area...

to answer your question though, topwater is ALL i would do in the mornings. its just so fun to see fish explode on top in the early morning orange light. through the day, traditional jig heads, doa's, gulps, etc seem to work well.

#5 ·
nb&twil (3/5/2008)woody, if youre going to make the trip this far to inshore fish,

to answer your question though, topwater is ALL i would do in the mornings. its just so fun to see fish explode on top in the early morning orange light. through the day, traditional jig heads, doa's, gulps, etc seem to work well.
i dont know the area that well, but i sure as hell know how to get there by car, and that is how i get to gulf islands. i dont really plan on driving the cc or skiff over from OB to pensacola, nor do i plan on trailoring it with these gas prices, so i am kinda limited on my fishability!! topwater fishing, for WHATEVER, is my absolutely favorite. i got a whole drawer of inshore fishing stuff so i'll have to empty it in a bag and bring it over that way, it sounds like

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.