GPS Question - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > General Discussion
Register Fishing Photos FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Advertise

Old 11-03-2009, 10:54 AM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default GPS Question

Is there a GPS unit availible that can be used in the car, but can be effective as a low budget marine GPS. That is, it would primarily be used in the car, but it could go portable ot be used in the boat for bay and near shore use.

As you can guess by the type of question, I do not want to spend a lot of money on this unit. If I can buy a "multi-tasking" unit though, I would spend a little more.

Any ideas? Reviews of units out there? Thoughts?

Thanks for your help!!
TheSeaWasAngryThatDayMyFriends is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2009, 12:02 PM   #2
Sailfish

Default RE: GPS Question

To answer your question, yes there is. I dont have one, but I know Angus_Cow_Doctor does. I dont know the model # so shoot him a pm. Im sure there is plenty others besides that one that are dual mode.
choppedliver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2009, 12:16 PM   #3
Praedator
Grand Slam

Garmin 478. I have the garmin 276C, which is the predessor of the 478. I use it for both the boat and the car. Love it.
Telum Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2009, 12:21 PM   #4
Snapper

+1 on the Garmin 276C, I have had one on my motorcycle since 1995, and with the marine memory cards, I transfer it onto the boat whenever I need it, just buy an extra mount and cable. Even to this day, it still has the clearest screen in direct sunlight of any portable GPS.

And, if it ever screws up after the warranty expires, $175 gets you a new one from Garmin.

Skippy
Skippy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2009, 12:40 PM   #5
Trigger

+1 for the Garmin 478. I have one i use on three different boats and all vehicles, you can also hand carry it. They are no longer in production but you can probably still find one on eBay or craigslist.

KP
KPTN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2009, 08:07 PM   #6
Mingo

I have a Garmin 478. Both marine and land maps are great. Both settings have POI. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a dual purpose machine. I bought mine from Amazon.
mudflap91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2009, 09:35 PM   #7
Sailfish

Does it have the contouring also? How big is the screen?
kahala boy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2009, 09:44 PM   #8
Mingo

The screen size is about 3.5-4 inches. Not sure about conturing. It does give depths, channel markers, known obstuctions, ect. I will tell you thought...You must change between land navigation and marine. If you are using marine, the land detail (street names, points of interest, road maps) is minimal and vise versa.

Overall, I find the detail to be far better than my Northstar 932 with Navionics card.

Scott
Old 11-03-2009, 11:47 PM   #9
Mingo

Garmin Nuvi 500 you can load the BlueChart® g2 and Inland Lakes marine maps on . I have one for my auto but have not loaded the Bluechart g2 on it so I can't speak for how well it would work. $299.00
Gulftider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2009, 06:46 AM   #10
Mingo

Quote:
Gulftider (11/3/2009)Garmin Nuvi 500 you can load the BlueChart® g2 and Inland Lakes marine maps on . I have one for my auto but have not loaded the Bluechart g2 on it so I can't speak for how well it would work. $299.00
My wife bought me a Nuvi (don't remember the series...maybe the 855??). Isearched the web for Gulf of Mexico marine maps. There was none to be found for the model I had.We called Garmin. He strongly suggested not usingmy Nuvi for marine apps. They are NOT waterproof. They said water damage would void the warranty. He is the one that suggested the 478. I returned the Nuvi to Bestbuy the next day.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in