Gov. Crist Letter to NOAA 7/22/2010 - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > General Discussion

Old 07-28-2010, 12:22 AM   #1
Snapper

Default Gov. Crist Letter to NOAA 7/22/2010

CHARLIE CRIST SECRETARY MICHAEL W. SOLE DAVID HALSTEAD
Governor Florida Department of Environmental Protection State Coordinating Officer
M E M O R A N D U M
DATE: July 22, 2010
TO: Interested Media
RE: Governor Charlie Crist’s Letter Regarding Fishing
Please find attached Governor Charlie Crist’s letter to Dr. Jane Lubchenco, Administrator of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, requesting expedited action regarding the extension of Florida’s red snapper fishing season and reopening federal waters for fishing in order to expand fishing opportunities in Florida.
If you have any questions or need additional information, please call Governor Crist’s press
office at (850) 488-5394.
# # #
CHARLIE CRIST
Dr. Jane Lubchenco, Administrator
Office of the Under Secretary
GOVERNOR
July 22,2010
National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
14th & Constitution Ave NW, Room 7316
Washington, DC 20230
RE: Gulf red snapper recreational season
Dear Dr. Lubchenco:
As you know, the BP Deepwater Horizon oil spill has dramatically changed the
landscape of marine fisheries management in the Gulf of Mexico. I understand the
Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) has been working closely
with NOAA Fisheries to offer as much fishing opportunity as possible in federal and
state waters while insuring Florida's seafood continues to be safe for public
consumption. I support these efforts wholeheartedly, and I am writing to request your
assistance to expedite measures that will provide more fishing opportunities in Florida
as soon as possible.
I understand you and your staff have supported a program to monitor fishing
effort for red snapper so a supplemental season can be offered if effort is reduced due
to impacts of the oil spill (as we expect). With the financial support of NOAA Fisheries,
scientists from the FWC have been able to significantly step up their recreational
harvest monitoring during this year's red snapper fishing season. According to the
FWC, they have been able to collect quality data, which they will share with your office.
I remain hopeful that we can quickly evaluate the enhanced data we are collecting and
let Florida's recreational anglers know at the earliest possible time if it will be possible to
add additional fishing days this season and when those days will occur.
I also would like to stress the importance of expediting the process for reopening
federal waters for all fishing as soon as they are deemed safe. The current closures
place major limitations on access to red snapper fishing and would diminish the value of
a supplemental season. We have initiated the sampling and testing necessary to
reopen Florida's state waters where the presence of oil was confirmed by visual
observation and has now moved out of the area. I urge you to continue to press for a
rapid process for reopening all federal waters where the presence of oil was never
confirmed or where oil is no longer present.
THE CAPITOL
TAllAHASSEE, FLORIDA 32399 • (850) 486-2272 • FAX (850) 922·4292

Reply:
Dr. Jane Lubchenco, Administrator
July 22,2010
Page Two
We want to take every appropriate action with expediency to help revitalize our
coastal communities that have been seriously impacted by the BP Deepwater Horizon
oil spill; allowing additional fishing opportunities for red snapper could be an important
component of such recovery. Your ability to analyze the fishing effort data and quickly
make the appropriate critical decisions would be of great value to our affected
communities.
Thank you for your consideration of this request. Please do not hesitate to
contact my office if we may be of any assistance to you.
cc: Roy Crabtree, Regional Administrator, NOAA Fisheries
Rodney Barreto, Chairman, Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission
Mr. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2010, 10:38 AM   #2
Jiggin Finatic
Grand Slam

It is only double speak from both of them. He is a carreer politician who will say and do anything and everything to remain in power. She is a radical from the 60's who is all about her agenda and nothing more and nothing less.
lobsterman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2010, 10:45 AM   #3
Blue Marlin

i would agree with the letter crist wrote.

that being said crist is a politician. his hat is in the senate race with his eye on the presidency. he has already proven that he has no loyalty to anyone or any principle and will do or say whatever it takes to get elected. this is the sad truth.

lubchenco and crabtree have also shown their tree hugging liberal azzez in the past and love the fact fishing is closed and there was no snapper season. if either of them had their way they would end recreational fishing completely.

maybe since this is a election year we will get a fall season, but dont hold your breath.
nextstep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2010, 10:46 AM   #4
Blue Marlin

after posting (slow typer) i see im not the only one who thinks this way
nextstep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2010, 11:48 AM   #5
Sailfish

Christs political career is going down the tubes. He's the only one full of himself to think hes going anywhere. I don't know about the Crabtree and Lubchenco. From what little I have read. Probably spot on, on those two. Hopefully for their politicizing they will put the thing together and we do get what they think is the crumbs of an extended fishing season and they get the backing of the chump vote in their way of thinking. Appease the masses.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:49 PM   #6
White Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobsterman View Post
It is only double speak from both of them. He is a carreer politician who will say and do anything and everything to remain in power. She is a radical from the 60's who is all about her agenda and nothing more and nothing less.
I agree 100%. If Christ was truly concerned about this common sense would have prevailed after the rig blew up and he would have immediately opened snapper season in Florida knowing that if the spill was contained immediately he could have shortened the season to even it all out. Instead he sat on his butt and watched an already bad Gulf Coast Economy suffer even more. Now he has released this letter to the media so people will THINK he is trying to do something when in all reality I am sure he and the NMFS already have talked about how they will screw us in the end.

Why doesnt Christ announce that he will open state waters now and fight for the federal opening after that? The answer is because he doesnt really care, he just wants it to appear that he does...
whome is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in