Default gotta read this!! red snapper sampling techiniques

noaa red snapper sampling techniques

http://fishbull.noaa.gov/1104/syc.pdf

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2013, 12:58 PM   #2
Wicked Awesome
Sailfish

Interesting article. I couldnt help but notice the citations from which they gathered there information. Information from dates as far back as 1955 ( I ignored the 1860) through 2012. Makes me think that nobody is actually conducting new research, as much as they are just quoting old information and basing these "findings" to reflect current status. Am I missing something, or does that seem to be the case? And I like how these divers can go down and count the population. I have seen these fish down by the reefs, and they are constantly moving about and there are hundreds. How does one actually count these fish. Has anyone tried to count how many gold fish are in one aquarium at the pet store? And thats just in a small aquarium.

[email protected]

[email protected]

"If you have the opportunity in life to make things better, and you don't, you're wasting your time on Earth." R. Clemente, Sr.

"The only goal you can not accomplish is the one you do not pursue." Unknown
OTTE*DA*WORM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2013, 01:11 PM   #3
Senior Yakker
White Marlin

I thought they just threw a bunch of numbers in a hat and drew from that...and then made something up if they didn't like what they drew.
Yakavelli is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2013, 01:24 PM   #4
Grouper

Send a message via AIM to asago Send a message via Yahoo to asago

Seems to me that the data was from pretty recently (2010) and the conclusions were quite interesting... TLDR is:

- Snapper population change has little to do with fishing mortality
- Snapper population can be affected by the construction of artificial reefs (if you want more snapper, make more reefs)
- At some point the addition of artificial reefs will have less positive impact on population but based on the study we're not there yet

Although stocks were indeed counted in this study the purpose of the study wasn't to measure overall population - it was to gauge whether or not artificial reefs can indeed assist in increasing the population.

georgiafishingbooks.com
panhandlefishingbooks.com

asago is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2013, 01:30 PM   #5
Grouper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakavelli View Post
I thought they just threw a bunch of numbers in a hat and drew from that...and then made something up if they didn't like what they drew.
x2.
jakec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2013, 01:33 PM   #6
Mingo

I agree with asago. data they collected was fairly recent....

The study seems to suggest that at first reefs simply attract fish (makes sense to me, something new to look for food/shelter)
Then as the fish begin to reproduce near the new reef, their population structure changes with the age of the reef (to a certain point, then I assume the population dynamic would become fairly stable, as long as some boat doesnt pull off hundreds of pounds of fish in one season....)

This suggests that reefs both attract and produce more snapper.

Good read. And my favorite part was that once the fish get big enough, they are no long afraid of being eaten, so they leave and look for somewhere less crowded to live.

Moral of the story:

Sink more junk!
Fishin Ski is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2013, 01:33 PM   #7
Grateful Angler
Snapper

I thought it was a well conducted study. They used 4 collection methods- Diver counts, hook and line catches, trap catches and video/photo counts. The study was intended to determine if artificial reefs in the Northern Gulf Of Mexico actually increased production (population growth) of red snapper or if they just provided congregation areas (gathering sites)

They looked at 3 reef sites with varying age. One from 2006, one from 2009 and one from 2010. At these sites they used the collection methods above to determine the ages of the fish they collected.

They concluded that there is a direct correlation with age of reef to age of fish on the reef. This indicates that previous beliefs that say artificial reefs are just attraction areas, not production sites are inaccurate. They found that young snapper would go to a new reef site and stay for several years until they reach a size in which they can more easily avoid predation (they get big).

Won't these findings benefit us? I was under the impression that they previously did not include artificial reef sites in their stock assessment as they thought they just attracted fish off of the barren bottom.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in